It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Feeling really tempted by those used SB8 on SE... 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Feeling really tempted by those used SB8 on SE...
Hi guys,

As some of you know, I recently bought a used poly stick. I love it and helps me to learn the ways of the stick and two hand tapping. I wrote SE for an estimate on a service, and being so far away, buying a new stick might be a more cost-friendly option...

I thought about ordering a Railboard, but besides the setup and newer features and obviously the brand new instrument and construction method, which adds up to A LOT. A similar 10-string may not bring a lot new in terms of versatility.

This got me looking on eBay, reverb and SE for used options, and the SB8 popped up. Although it has only 8 strings, the range is similar to my 10 classic tuning. I actually found my stick while looking for a bass, and I couldn’t be happier that I did! BUT, the way I see it, the SB8 would give me a 5-string bass on strings 4-8 and a 6-string guitar in strings 1-6 from the 7th fret as I tune my guitars in P4. And still allow two hand tapping and play both parts simultaneously.

What do you think? Any of you play(ed) the SB8? What is your experience? For those who live outside the US: What should I expect in terms of shipping, custom and taxes?

Any comments and answers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Walter

P.S. PM me if you live in Zürich and you want to jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:20 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Feeling really tempted by those used SB8 on SE...
I love the unconventional tuning of the 10-string as it forces me to be creative, improvise and find the actual notes instead of fret positions.

I’m afraid that a bass/guitar in fourths would get me stuck (again) on looking at tabs and playing conventional bass/guitar lines...

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have a SB8.My opinion on this matter is I can do similar. Bass runs on my 10 string grand as the SB8 offers but I can not get the more beautiful sounds on my SB8 as the 10 string grand.so my opinion is just get a 10 or 12 string stick and enjoy both benifits.I hope this helps.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I was thinking the same... by looking at the SB8 tunings, it looks that everything it can do I can already do on mine.

I guess I’ll just stick to the one I have and when I feel that I need more notes or a different tuning, them think about changing.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:41 am
Contributor
Contributor

I’d agree with stickfingers. I initially wanted to get an SB8 for simplicity sake, but since getting the Railboard and having lessons with Greg, I realise the inverted fifths doesn’t reach its full potential without 5 or 6 strings on the bass side to exploit chords over. 6 also enables 5 string chords starting on different strings.

That side, I don’t think there’s the same string issue on the melody side, and if you’re not aiming for chordal bass side work, I do think there could be merit in (say) a deep matched reciprocal interior on an SB8. Something that goes deep in the bass side but also baritone /lower and aims to be rhythmic in the melody side. It would letterbox your options but would therefore focus your efforts into that kind of approach.

But simultaneously, nothing to stop you having that kind of setup on a 10/12 and NOT be letterboxed in that way whilst having all those options open to you.

Just my 2p!

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I am a bass player from start. Started to play Stick (10-string) in 1988. Got a SB8 when SE started to make them. Sold it some years later. Found out I did not like to tap on something that was tuned like a regular bass guitar but with more strings. Never felt comfortable with the SB8. And, again, I’ve played bass for over 40 years now. A Stick is a Stick. Prefer a regular Stick any day of the week. There is something special with bass in 5ths and strings in inverted order.... Odd thing. But I like it. [emoji106][emoji4]

-Mobilis in mobil-

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jan Hellman wrote:
I am a bass player from start. Started to play Stick (10-string) in 1988. Got a SB8 when SE started to make them. Sold it some years later. Found out I did not like to tap on something that was tuned like a regular bass guitar but with more strings. Never felt comfortable with the SB8. And, again, I’ve played bass for over 40 years now. A Stick is a Stick. Prefer a regular Stick any day of the week. There is something special with bass in 5ths and strings in inverted order.... Odd thing. But I like it. [emoji106][emoji4]

I was thinking the same. I love the was the stick is laid out. Having an 8-string bass or guitar will probably get me stuck on plucking guitar/bass parts i stead of tapping.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I agree with Jan. It’s easy to search out familiarity. Stay with the Stick in its true form. Patience is key.

Cheers,
Kev

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I would have to agree with what Jan said. I am quite fond of the 10-string as it is. If I were to have an 8-string Stick, it would most certainly be an NS and it would be straight fourths. But that's an NS Stick, not a Chapman Stick.

The real magic (IMHO) is in the left hand. Once you've unlocked that aspect of the instrument, you'll never look back.

Put aside the 4ths and become who you were destined to be!

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery