It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:25 pm

A penny for your thoughts on the SB8 "Stick Bass" 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: A penny for your thoughts on the SB8 "Stick Bass"
Love my SB8 Purple heart,alot of freedom for me with endless possibilities.can even throw in some oddities with the right hand.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: A penny for your thoughts on the SB8 "Stick Bass"
BSharp wrote:
I'd say the SB8 is the most underrated Stick model we make, especially if you want the feel and sensation of playing a Stick but with a bass guitar type tuning, Even better might be the Dual Bass Reciprocal (DBR) tuning across the 8 strings. The low B is then the common string at the 5th position, serving both sides (bass 4ths on the "melody" side and bass 5ths on the bass side).

You'd have highest G at the 1st position (toward the player's left when "worn" for playing, followed by 2nd string D, 3rd A and 4th E, all in descending 4ths. Then down another 4th to low B at the 5th position, followed by 6th string F#, 7th C# and highest "bass" string G# at the 8th position, all in ascending 5ths. The concept is 9 strings on an 8-string board.

I feel this is a bass instrument to contend with. You'd have Jaco's melodic bass lines in the right hand and The Stick's more structural patterns in the left, not to mention Tony's pioneering two-handed bass work on just the 5ths.

I agree, and feel that the Stickbass would not only be one fun instrument to play, but also one very practical instrument which could be used in any setting where there are additional musicians.

Earlier today, I was in contact with the kind folks at Stick Enterprises, as they have a used 34" red Stickbass on their website that's for sale, which according to Grace - it has to be seen if Cambria has it possibly set aside for someone else, so... Tuesday is the day I will try to connect with Cambria.

Now - I personally would use that tuning Emmett just mentioned, 4ths and 5ths… but with a twist:

**Instead of the low B, my preferred 5ths tuning [on the bass side] would start off with C instead of B, because the C G D A is a tuning I’ve had an intimate relationship for many many years, since the early 1990’s….**

The low B is just something I just can’t get into.
*Even with my 5/6 string basses, none of them are tuned down to B, except my Syme guitar – that one goes down to A below B….

I know, it sounds silly - but that's just me.

But this matched - I mean DBR tuning - which Emmett describes - even with my twist added, one now has two very different bass instruments in one, which to me and again agreeing with Emmett's final observation truly covers all the bases [no pun intended...]

I hope Cambria has some good news for me, but if not... I'll eventually find one [has to be a 34in scale] just like I did my two Ironwoods :)

Walt, do all your homework here regarding what tuning would suit you best, because only you know that but at the same time don't be afraid to ask, which you have done, which is a good thing.

I wish I took Grace's advice this past fall and went the Stickbass route back then, as she was really trying to sell me on this idea with the DBR tuning Emmett mentioned above, it just took a few months for it to sink in, and now it's a path I wish to pursue.

Boy, if that red Stickbass is still for sale, I wonder if I could get Grace, Emmett, and Cambria to sign it for me :) :) :)

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 pm