It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:46 am

Broken string just before Interlochen 

Post Re: Broken string just before Interlochen
EricTheGray wrote:
Woodinblack wrote:
One thing I’m curious about is will they sound the same. I know they won’t for wound strings, it’s the plain ones.

I don't see how they can't really, it is just a bit of steel isn't it and I wouldn't imagine there is that much difference between manufacturers of plain strings as to how they are made.

Mine have currently got guitar strings on the first 2 strings (and a bass wire string on the 3rd).

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:57 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The only strings I’ve ever found that sound close to SE is DR, but those were thicker wound strings. Rotosounds come out of a different string factory. I’d go with D’Addario as a first attempt as that’s where most of SE’s strings come from. I’ve tried the same brand Eric asked for on my guitar that I had at the time but was not impressed and went back to the XLs I had normally used. What Eric ordered will sound odd the first day, but the second day he’ll discover what it will really sound like; took a few hours of playing to break them in.

The local guitar store is open, I plan on stopping by there and will ask about strings. They also customer build guitars, might have some insight on this.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:56 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

MichNS wrote:
The only strings I’ve ever found that sound close to SE is DR, but those were thicker wound strings. Rotosounds come out of a different string factory. I’d go with D’Addario as a first attempt as that’s where most of SE’s strings come from. I’ve tried the same brand Eric asked for on my guitar that I had at the time but was not impressed and went back to the XLs I had normally used. What Eric ordered will sound odd the first day, but the second day he’ll discover what it will really sound like; took a few hours of playing to break them in.

The local guitar store is open, I plan on stopping by there and will ask about strings. They also customer build guitars, might have some insight on this.

Definately let us know how you make out, because I need to head out to the local Sam Ash in New Haven, and see what they can do for me string-wise.

I think for me .008 will work fine, the trick is getting a whole bunch of them without having to do so on line...........

One thing: I remember years back, like twenty years ago - in a different music store which is sadly now long gone [Banko's House Of Music, Ansonia...] there was an elderly gent playing a steel strung classical guitar that was his, and he was using these "extra high tension" steel strings, and I mean - I never seen strings under so much tension in all my life, it was nuts... but later on I'm going to Google "extra high tension classical guitar steel strings" and see what comes up...

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:00 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yes, the tension is very high on that high melody A of the SG-12 Mirrored 4ths Piano tuning, also on the Alto Stick with "Greg's Extended" or "Bob's Expanded" tunings. The high A on a guitar scale instrument is "stretching it", I do admit.

First step is to slightly round off the outer edges of the 1st saddle setscrew's slot with a thin nail file or fine grit sandpaper folded around a metal straight-edge ruler. Do the same also at the nut end, slightly rounding off the edges of the Flap's V-channel.

Some music stores carry 6 1/2 gauge (.0065") guitar scale strings, which will hold their tension a bit better, still, a 7 gauge wire string should work well enough. And to Eric, we can send you a few of these at no charge and maybe they'd arrive at Interlochen in time.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:45 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
MichNS wrote:

Definately let us know how you make out, because I need to head out to the local Sam Ash in New Haven, and see what they can do for me string-wise.

I think for me .008 will work fine, the trick is getting a whole bunch of them without having to do so on line...........

One thing: I remember years back, like twenty years ago - in a different music store which is sadly now long gone [Banko's House Of Music, Ansonia...] there was an elderly gent playing a steel strung classical guitar that was his, and he was using these "extra high tension" steel strings, and I mean - I never seen strings under so much tension in all my life, it was nuts... but later on I'm going to Google "extra high tension classical guitar steel strings" and see what comes up...

Didn’t amount to much, seemed I knew more about this subject. Back in the day it seemed easy to find people who worked in music stores that frequently visited string and guitar factories. Not much of that anymore. As far as what I know if you need an alternate at the last minute DAdarrio, DR, GHS I know can do pretty extensive custom gages. I’ve not dealt with Kallium but I’ve heard of other people playing extended range basses with their strings.

I’m thinking Eric will be OK, I sent Emmet and Eric an email, he now has multiple options of receiving strings and tools needed to be ready for the seminar.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BSharp wrote:
Yes, the tension is very high on that high melody A of the SG-12 Mirrored 4ths Piano tuning, also on the Alto Stick with "Greg's Extended" or "Bob's Expanded" tunings. The high A on a guitar scale instrument is "stretching it", I do admit.

First step is to slightly round off the outer edges of the 1st saddle setscrew's slot with a thin nail file or fine grit sandpaper folded around a metal straight-edge ruler. Do the same also at the nut end, slightly rounding off the edges of the Flap's V-channel.

Some music stores carry 6 1/2 gauge (.0065") guitar scale strings, which will hold their tension a bit better, still, a 7 gauge wire string should work well enough. And to Eric, we can send you a few of these at no charge and maybe they'd arrive at Interlochen in time.

Thank you, Emmett. As always, you are are a gentleman and a friend to us all. I will be forever grateful for what you have done and still do for us.

I will adjust the saddle setscrew slot as you advised. I think it broke at the nut and I’ll work on it too. I’m sure by next Wednesday I’ll be all set. I’m looking forward to getting back into the Stick community more after being mostly absent for a long time.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
I’m thinking Eric will be OK, I sent Emmet and Eric an email, he now has multiple options of receiving strings and tools needed to be ready for the seminar.

Thank you, Steve. I will be ready as I have so many strings coming to me from different directions. I suspect they will all get to me at the same time. Ha! That will be just fine.

See you soon.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

BSharp wrote:

I will heed this advice too - THANK YOU !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:12 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I hadn't realised the SG12 in that tuning used a high A4, which seems to be at the X fret. Scale length is 26.5" which makes the X fret scale roughly 25".
A4 has a reputation on extended range guitar forums as being borderline practical at 25".

D'Addario sell a higher quality and stronger plain steel string called 'NYXL high carbon steel'. Those in .007 seem the best choice as an alternative, although you probably won't find these in most guitar shops.
I wonder if SE's plain steel strings by D'Addario actually use this exact material?

As for D4 on a 34" string length, this is equivalent to tuning to G4 on a standard 25.5" scale guitar, 3 semitones up from the high E, this is also near the limit. D4 is stated by several tapping instrument manufacturers as being the highest possible pitch on 34".

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Slightly on topic...:

Remember the second night of Interlochen when we went to the bar for student open mic night? Glenn broke a string during his tune-up! I saw it as it happened, and I'll never forget the look on his face... he looked around as if wondering whether anyone saw, looked straight at me, and just shook his head as his shoulders slumped. I felt so sorry for him!

Bronze Railboard #7145, Classic

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery