It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 7:53 pm

NSD: New Stick Day! - Flame maple SB8 w/Block 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post NSD: New Stick Day! - Flame maple SB8 w/Block
Hi guys,

I finally got my SB8 stick! I found it second-hand in mint condish, with a flight case, stereo cable, tools and a book.

It works and sounds great, and also looks amazing! Although when I first tried to play it, the neck was slightly bowed and the action was excessively high. With a little patience (and following Greg's great videos, I adjusted the truss until the neck was flat and also lowered the action.

I like the straight fourths (P4) tuning, as it allows me play parts with the same fingering at different octaves or doing harmonies. But I kinda miss the 5ths tuning that I have on my 10-string. Doing chords on the bass side with 4ths sounds too low and muddy, now I get what Emmett, Greg and others were saying! SO I mostly play bass lines with my left hand and either do chords or lines with the right. On the 5th/4th from my 10 string I only played chords with the left hand and played lines and chords with the right.

I like the Stick as a solo or "do it all" instrument, I have great fun with the 10-string. I also am starting a project with other 3 friends (guitar, drums & keyboard) and I on the stick filling the bass role, so I'm thinking that the SB8 on DBR may be the way to go.

What do you think? I wrote some "killer" bass lines on the 5ths bass which are now lost on 4ths, but DBR may give me the bass 5ths AND the bass 4ths, so it may be the best of both worlds?

Let ek now what you think! Any comments and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Walter

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:53 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: NSD: New Stick Day! - Flame maple SB8 w/Block
While I was trying to adjust the action I found that the screws would not go any lower, so I didn't want to force them in order not to break anything.

Have a look at the picture and please tell me if I'm already maxed out and if I try something else :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, to my understanding, the thickest bass strings (6,7,8?) would have only the plain core through the bridge (like string 8). So may strings 6 & 7 are not original SE strings but aftermarket bass-guitar strings? Could this be the reason why I cannot lower the action any more?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by waltschwarzkopf on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:57 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

One last thing. Since I don't have a DBR string set, but I do have the current straight 4ths strings and a new SE medium-gauge classic tuning, can I move the current EADG strings to strings 1-4 and install the bass strings from the classic tuning on 5-8?

Since I'm going to tune to the same pitches for which these strings were designed, tensions and gauges should be the same, right?

The stick has a fully adjustable bridge and an adjustable truss rod, so the stick should be able to handle the new tuning. Am I missing something?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:01 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Oh man, she is beautiful... For my money... I'd go with Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal... I love the 5ths tuning, and it will IMHO make you think more outside of the box when playing the bass lines. I think you would be happy with Interior Dual bass reciprocal. I myself am trying to decide between an NS Stick and a 10 String Grand in the Dual bass tuning.... thoughts?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:07 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

rclere wrote:
Oh man, she is beautiful... For my money... I'd go with Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal... I love the 5ths tuning, and it will IMHO make you think more outside of the box when playing the bass lines. I think you would be happy with Interior Dual bass reciprocal. I myself am trying to decide between an NS Stick and a 10 String Grand in the Dual bass tuning.... thoughts?

I would say go for the grand in DBR!

I changed the tuning of mine, I missed those fifths. I have a mix of DBR and matched reciprocal. So i basically have a cello and a bass guitar in the same fretboard :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:37 am
Contributor
Contributor

Gorgeous looking stick! I can appreciate why you missed the fifths. Just put my Railboard in DBR today. Great textures and tone in there, on both sides.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:36 pm