It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:15 pm

Which way should I go? 

Post Which way should I go?
Hello everyone and thank you for letting me join this group. I am a former bass player that left the music scene for quite some time. I am looking to get back into music as I approach my retirement years. And though I love the sound of bass guitar, I am looking for something a little bit different to give me room to grow. I have always loved the Chapman sound, so, this is it!

I don't want to get into anything too intricate and have decided that 8 strings is enough. I have read articles that talk about the regret of not going for more strings after playing for a while but I am pretty confident that 8 is enough. My dilemma is will it be the 8 string stick or the NS?

I am hoping to hear from you that have had the same decision to make. Or perhaps some of you that have played both and can outline some difference, advantages, etc. Or just general opinions between the 2.

I realize that similar posts might have already been on this board but I am at the stage where I am pretty excited about moving on and ordering. So I suppose I am in a bit of a rush. But I thank you for your patience as I look forward to some answers and constructive thoughts.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:45 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Which way should I go?
Welcome!

I had an NS/Stick for a few years, I would say get that if you want to use all techniques (tapping, plucking, strumming) and an 8 string if you want a highly optimized instrument specifically for tapping.

The retractable damper on the NS is great if you want the open strings to ring out when you're playing it like a normal bass (you'll probably need a lighter touch than you may be used to since the string action needs to also be low enough for tapping).

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I happen to have both, and ultimately the decision rest on what you are intending to do as far as your music goes.

My NS is used in more "normal" situations, as I have it tuned in a fairly comprable tuning which works well with most types of music.

My SB-8 on the other hand is a very exciting instrument from a rythym standpoint, as it is set up literally as two bass guitars, one tuned in 4ths and one tuned in 5ths.

I think this was Grace's idea for me, and it took about a year for it to really click into my head to where as soon as I saw a used on on Stick Enterprises, I jumped on it asap.

But again, that's a very specialized instrument - where I feel my NS is more for real nice melodies, and the retractable mute means anything goes.

Of course, I have a new RB-8 under construction, which will be set up in a crafty tuning... and that's a whole 'nother topic for discussion.........

So, I suppose listening and seeing what people are doing via youtube with either instrument might be a good way to go from an inspirational standpoint, but even better would be if more folks here on Sticklist provide more input for you...

....and welcome !!

My own opinion - 8 strings is plenty when playing with a group of musicians, but for solo/duo work then 10 and even 12 becomes more useful, although for me I'll be focusing on my 8 string Sticks for a long time to come.

This is a good resource.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:44 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I'll get scorched for this but my thinking is: The NS and the 8 string Stick are both essentially an 8 string bass in 4ths that can be tapped. And there's nothing wrong with that. A lot of Stick players come from bass and I can see the desire to stay in their comfort zone. To me though, the range and harmonic elbow room provided on a 10 or 12 string Stick in 4ths/5ths tuning is what you need if you want to really self accompany, stretch out and maximize what two hands can accomplish.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

What Rob said, for sure... Also, consider a Ten String Grand, tuned in Dual Bass reciprocal. I too have been a bass player all of my life... I have a 12 string Grand tuned in Classic High Bass 4ths and am soon to aquire a Wenge 12 string grand I am going to have tuned in that Dual Bass tuning!. Welcome aboard!

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:46 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm 62, a bass player, got a Stick in '85, got sober and a 12-string Dual Bass Reciprocal in '08. I have 4 basses and 2 guitars hanging on the wall in my room. But it's the DBR that is played every day. Just sayin'.
Just adding P.S. When I pick up a bass I play like a bassist. When I pick up the Stick I explore the possibilities of fingers on strings. It is such an inspiration. I'm not that good but even the simplest of things make me smile ear-to-ear. It's the Coolest Instrument In The World and when people ask me what I play I say the CHAPMAN Stick.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Everything said so far is true to the experience of the users. That is a confusing way of saying
that it is a subjective "experience" and a subjective choice.
I came to the NS after playing the Stick for a number of years. I had to find out what it was like ;). I said to myself in the first few minutes
of playing the NS that "I never would have learned the Stick if I had one of these". I think that gut
reaction was because of years of guitar playing before the Stick.

So what Rob is referring to, your known techniques, and more importantly muscle memory
will be right there, but just requiring a lighter touch. Even though I love the NS, I think that at
least in part, it was designed for people who found the Stick too much trouble. The Stick is such a unique instrument that it is in the Smithsonian :|. The free hands technique is a new way of playing music, unique and sublime. The choice is obvious; both... 8-)

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:21 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

More strings isn't harder ;)

I made the mistake of thinking that way when I was first looking.

The NS is a fantastic instrument and if you're looking to expand your bass or guitar playing, I don't think you could do better. Look up Don Schiff or Gary Jibilian and listen to what they do with it.

If you're looking for a new instrument and a new way to play, the 10 or 12 string Stick is the way to go. You simply can't really get the full benefit of the traditional style of Stick playing with eight strings.

Personally, I think that 12 vs 10 just provides more overlap which, if you're wanting to do solo song arrangements, is better so my advice is coming out of the starting gate with 12-strings. I just don't think it's any harder than 10 but I know there are those that disagree with me so take it for what it's worth.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

gpoorman wrote:
More strings isn't harder ;)

I made the mistake of thinking that way when I was first looking.

The NS is a fantastic instrument and if you're looking to expand your bass or guitar playing, I don't think you could do better. Look up Don Schiff or Gary Jibilian and listen to what they do with it.

If you're looking for a new instrument and a new way to play, the 10 or 12 string Stick is the way to go. You simply can't really get the full benefit of the traditional style of Stick playing with eight strings.

Personally, I think that 12 vs 10 just provides more overlap which, if you're wanting to do solo song arrangements, is better so my advice is coming out of the starting gate with 12-strings. I just don't think it's any harder than 10 but I know there are those that disagree with me so take it for what it's worth.

"Harder" doesn't scare me. But I was born with these short, stubby fingers and often wonder how I managed to navigate the fretboard on a bass guitar. I imagine that the strings are closer together on a 10 and 12 string so I can see some frustration setting in.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Geo T wrote:
"Harder" doesn't scare me. But I was born with these short, stubby fingers and often wonder how I managed to navigate the fretboard on a bass guitar. I imagine that the strings are closer together on a 10 and 12 string so I can see some frustration setting in.

Hmmmm. Well that isn't an uncommon tale and was part of the inspiration behind the "Ten String Grand". An instrument that provides the benefits of the traditional Stick playing style with slightly wider string spacing.

My fingers are long and thin so I can't speak from any kind of experience. I would hope that some other "short stubby finger guys" might chime in. I know the string spacing on the TSG is slightly smaller than that of an SB8. The NS/Stick actually overlaps it. At the nut, the spacing on an NS is very slightly smaller than that of a Ten String Grand but then the spacing opens up and is wider at the bridge. Pretty comparable overall though.

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery