It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 am

Should I switch to Stick Bass? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Should I switch to Stick Bass?
oh boy, if you want bass then you want the Stickbass !!

Stickbass is all about bassness, believe me - I am so glad Grace turned me on to this idea a few years back, Stickbass as two electric bass guitars - one in 4ths E A D G [Melody side] and one in 5ths C G D A

You can tap it, you can slap it, you can play it just like an electric bass guitar it you like, believe me it is oodles and oodles of fun

Disclaimer - you will need a healthy bass rig to truly appreciate it, I use two Ampeg SVT400TH's rack mounted [yes, I pay someone to lift that because I can't] on top of two Trace Elliot 1x15 in large enclosures, laying on their sides on top of one another.
It's not so much the volume - but more the dynamic range.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 am
Contributor
Contributor

Big George Waters wrote:

Stickbass is all about bassness, believe me - I am so glad Grace turned me on to this idea a few years back, Stickbass as two electric bass guitars - one in 4ths E A D G [Melody side] and one in 5ths C G D A

You can tap it, you can slap it, you can play it just like an electric bass guitar it you like, believe me it is oodles and oodles of fun

Disclaimer - you will need a healthy bass rig to truly appreciate it, I use two Ampeg SVT400TH's rack mounted [yes, I pay someone to lift that because I can't] on top of two Trace Elliot 1x15 in large enclosures, laying on their sides on top of one another.

I ordered a set of Dual Bass Reciprocal strings for my 10-String.

It will interesting to see how I use the extreme strings.
I will be using it 99.99% of the time for recording.
Just need to practice and get really clean technique

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:

Big George Waters is my hero! My Stick Bass hero anyway. Don't get me looking at another Stick, but I'd love to see some video of you rocking it out when you've got some time. I've never really seen a Stick Bass in action and I've never known just how to put it in the continuum of awesomeness that is the Stick world and family.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

paigan0, ah... video - if I only had the means to do so, as I am still stuck about 30 years in the past as far as that goes, since I never advanced myself past UMATIC or VHS S/HD... seriously, I don't have the technology to do that at this point in time - but I do still maintain a slamming late 70s, early 80s 16 track analog studio, even though it has not been used since I rescued a very special dog out of a very bad situation, which to me is a most noble excuse if there ever was one.

I embarrass myself enough here as it is with my primitive ways/responses to people's questions, a video might get me outright banned !!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 am