It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

Just ordered my first Stick 

Post Re: Just ordered my first Stick
Big George Waters wrote:
Welcome !!

If you can find one, an early 1970s Fender Bassman head with matching 2x12 cab would really get you going in a good way, as it's got a bass and normal channel both completely independent of one another, the head is hand wired, which means it can be serviced should something go wrong, and you can always go from there if you want to add things like effects, etc... but those old school Fenders from the early 70s to me are the best !!

Regarding the SVT, I got a rectangular one that's also early 1970s - it does not tilt back like the more modern ones, and I have not used it since I cooked my early 1970s Ampeg V-4 guitar head [which worked very well for electric bass, but...] anyhow - I like my 2 Hartke 4x10s even better, one cab is an original Guild Hartke from the 1980s, the other is newer from the early 1990s.
Amps - either 2 GK RB-400s from the late 1980s or a newer [1993] GK RB-800

I have a much bigger rig, but my back won't allow me to use it - it's in storage in the garage these days - two Ampeg SVT-400TH's in a single rack, [those were very cheap not that long ago and sound tremendous !!] into two Trace Elliot 1x15 cabs, this was/is a very clean dynamic sounding system but again, you need a roadie unless your back is in good shape to set this stack up.

To me, there's nothing like simplicity... and my days of agonizing over pick up styles is long over.

Sometimes it's nice when the choice is made for you, as in the case with an 8 string Railboard I've had on order for quite sometime, an EMG pick up was presented to me as an option and I jumped right on that !!

Good luck in your Stick adventures, there's a whole ton of great people here who will bend over backwards in anyway they can to help you out.

Cheers !!

I have all these! :oops:

Oh wait, no I don't...I use the HX Stomp and model all of these. :lol:

But this post made me go track down some free Impulse Responses for every bit of this equipment and experiment with it a little bit. I would love to A/B compare the real thing to my HX Stomp through the power PA that I use.

Good stuff with great sounds.

MM

Ironwood 10 string #928

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:18 pm

First post here too, and I too also just ordered my first Stick: rosewood, white glitter dot inlays, Stickup, matched reciprocal tuning.

I've wanted (perhaps *needed*) one for so long. I've played bass and guitar for decades (primarily a bass player) and I've done a fair bit of tapping on bass so it won't be an entirely new experience.

I first became aware of this instrument waaaay back when before I started playing anything really, and noticed Tony Levin being credited with playing something enigmatically called the "Stick" on various albums and wondering just what the heck that was. But as I started playing I eventually found out what it actually was and it's been kind of whispering and calling to me for many years. :)

Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

lagomorph wrote:
First post here too, and I too also just ordered my first Stick: rosewood, white glitter dot inlays, Stickup, matched reciprocal tuning.

I've wanted (perhaps *needed*) one for so long. I've played bass and guitar for decades (primarily a bass player) and I've done a fair bit of tapping on bass so it won't be an entirely new experience.

I first became aware of this instrument waaaay back when before I started playing anything really, and noticed Tony Levin being credited with playing something enigmatically called the "Stick" on various albums and wondering just what the heck that was. But as I started playing I eventually found out what it actually was and it's been kind of whispering and calling to me for many years. :)

Welcome to the rabbit hole, Alice. Rest assured, the Stick is nothing like tapping on a bass, or playing a guitar. But it IS immensely rewarding/frustrating!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

lagomorph wrote:

It seems that Tony Levin/King Crimson seem to be the "gateway drug" for many of us into stick-land (I'm also awaiting my first stick - a blue Railboard).

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:01 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
Hey Big George, if I ever come thru CT, I'm looking you up and both of us with bad backs are pulling ALL you amps out and we're doing Knitting Factory Stick Bass Doom

Man, that sounds great !!
We just gotta get this virus thing under control as my main gig is helping my elderly parents out and me getting sick is not an option, but yeah... it would be interesting to see what actually still works since most of my amps are 1970s and 80s era.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:27 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Big George Waters wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:
Hey Big George, if I ever come thru CT, I'm looking you up and both of us with bad backs are pulling ALL you amps out and we're doing Knitting Factory Stick Bass Doom

Man, that sounds great !!
We just gotta get this virus thing under control as my main gig is helping my elderly parents out and me getting sick is not an option, but yeah... it would be interesting to see what actually still works since most of my amps are 1970s and 80s era.

I know this should be PM's...I'm getting my 2nd shot next Monday (Mar.15) but who knows when I be in CT. Right now I just want to go to my luthier in Freehold NJ!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
It seems that Tony Levin/King Crimson seem to be the "gateway drug" for many of us into stick-land (I'm also awaiting my first stick - a blue Railboard).

Hey, I'm a Steve S from Detroit with a blue Railboard! And I'm Stickist Steve #9, and that was 5 year ago or more, so that must mean we're getting at peak Stickist Steve! There's already three of us in the Detroit metro area: Steve Balogh, Steve Osburn, and some Steve Sink guy.

But now there'll be two Detroit Steves with a blue Railboard. Sweeeeeet.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

paigan0 wrote:
Hey, I'm a Steve S from Detroit with a blue Railboard! And I'm Stickist Steve #9, and that was 5 year ago or more, so that must mean we're getting at peak Stickist Steve! There's already three of us in the Detroit metro area: Steve Balogh, Steve Osburn, and some Steve Sink guy.

But now there'll be two Detroit Steves with a blue Railboard. Sweeeeeet.

Hah! Eric Snapp said there were a lot of Stickists in MI - but I can't count myself as one until a) the Stick arrives and b) I can play something on it. Been studying hard in prep for that. My music-reading skills are minimal to say the least, so I've been working on that. Also getting my head around the patterns involved in a tuned-in-fifths world.

Still stuck alone in my music room learning blues licks, bass lines and drum beats, but I am SO looking forward to actually interacting with other musicians. My BIL is a member of a gigging bar band, but he still has his day job, he has to make time to practice with his band - and he's a 45-minute drive away (in Howell), so we don't get together as much as we'd like, even before we all got locked in our bunkers. I hope Steve Osburn resurrects his weekly get-togethers after we get past this damned pandemic.

In what part of the metro are you located? I'm in Western Wayne County.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:42 pm