It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Just Stick? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Just Stick?
earthgene wrote:
When I started to get serious about Stick once upon a time, I forced myself to only play the Chapman Stick. This went on for about 12 years at which point, I found myself subbing on bass gigs with the Stick and feeling like a bass would have been more appropriate.

I then found that if I brought both the Chapman Stick and the bass to a gig, I was able to play more comfortably with the bass OR the Stick. When switching, there was the inevitable feeling like both had been compromised just to have options (tone, feel, etc.). I felt like I had to choose.

I never had to choose though, it was all in my head.

The question may be - What do I want to achieve in playing only a single instrument?

Do I eat only open face sandwiches? Only eat off of plastic plates? Drive during the day? These are comparable comparisons in my mind.

I realized that the reason I wanted to only play Stick was to feel confident I could carry a solo set (or 3, which was my goal) and I achieved it (tip of hat to captain strings). The challenge since has been what to keep, what to expand / explore and what to never play again.

I was delighted to purchase a new Tele, my first guitar in 30 years. It brought back wonderful memories and stoked my love of it's unique tuning and feel. It renewed my musicality for music and if anything renewed my endeavor to pursue a new Bach piece on the Stick - all of that from a Tele? I can't explain, that was just the way my musical mind worked.

It was inspiration and that was all that I could have hoped for.

Totally focused, always experimenting and driving towards your grand goal. No artificial ingredients or flavors. Your a organically growing musician constantly getting after it. Congratulations!

Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
Hesitant to chime in here as I’m not a Stick player at all yet, having only had one for less than two months.

Also less than 2 months, & some of that trying to set up a Stick that had been curiously used in the past. Guitar is still getting almost equal shares in time, but that's at least partly because

a) I've only recently reached the stage where I feel like I'm playing it rather than poking, which is still a novelty.
b) I'd already booked a 12 week on-line improvisation course starting this Friday that will require me to use an instrument for the assignments & I'm certainly far enough on with Stick for it to be that instrument (but I hope to do at least a bit on non-assignment stuff with it)!

Once the course is over I may hope to give the Stick a higher proportion. Maybe I'll have news of my Railboard by then - I'm keen to find out what a Stick that's been properly set up by SE feels like!

I also plonk a bit on keyboard too in an in-expert but relaxed way - if it sounds musical that's as much as I ask for. I hope to keep bubbling along even if it's just just playing a few times a week as the opportunity arises (as much as possible I try to keep all instruments 'out & ready').

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:32 pm

DavidWS wrote:
a 12 week on-line improvisation course

Gary Burton's at Coursera?

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ClausRogge wrote:
Gary Burton's at Coursera?

Jelske Hoogervorst's Mixed Harmony course. It's only run once a year, with a maximum of 10 students.

I've previously done the Introduction to Melodic Improvising workshop that she runs in conjunction with Improvise for Real. It was doing that workshop that took me through the transition from feeling I was just 'poking my instrument' to 'playing my instrument'.

I'm a big fan of the Improvise for Real way of looking at & understanding the musical environment. It would be fair to say it's the lens through which I see/hear & approach musicality.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

stickyfingers wrote:
Most likely a buried thread on this subject, but I ain’t into digging. Does anyone else actively play another instrument as much or more than Stick? Or are you Just Stick? I just can’t lose my passion for my first loves.

Every now and then I get out my alto sax, or dabble with a synth, but in 1992 I stopped playing those instruments, put away my effects pedals, and buckled down to really learn and record The Stick. I spent about 500 hours that year making Stick Figures, all live takes, no edits. That concentrated time made me a Stick player...

https://greghoward.bandcamp.com/album/stick-figures

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I went through my 20s trying to be a multi-instrumentalist (keyboard, guitar, bass) after some formal training with flute and concert bands in my school days, but I felt I wasn't getting proficient at any of them. I did get my first Stick in 1995 but it became another "dabbling" instrument along with the others.

It was when I got my first acoustic guitar around 2003 that I suddenly shifted from a multi-track composition mindset to being more interested in developing solo instrument music. I had an NS/Stick at the time and found it challenging to read piano music (I remember trying to play the first Goldberg Variation), so I revisited an idea I had before the NS/Stick was produced- to get a Grand Stick tuned in 4ths, also allowing me to adapt ideas I came up with on other instruments.

I debated whether to concentrate on acoustic guitar or Stick (I loved the completely "self contained" nature of acoustic guitar - no electronics or cables, and a beautiful feel, sound and wood smell), but I also moved to Virginia around this time and had the positive influence of attending a Stick seminar and getting to know Greg Howard.

Ultimately it seemed like there was a lot more new and fertile ground to explore with Stick, so I ended up with the mirrored 4ths Grand in 2004 (after a short time with parallel 4ths) and haven't looked back. I put down all the other instruments and the Stick has never failed to provide inspiration or limited what I've wanted to accomplish musically.

As for developing proficiency - I left my comfort zone and committed to playing open mics almost every week for a year, using just a Fishman amp with reverb. While I still don't consider myself a really solid live performer, forcing myself to get on stage helped a lot, and led to greater gig opportunities (again, Greg was a valuable friend and resource during this time).

More recently, I started to learn a bit of classical guitar which gave me other creative boost and motivated me to order the custom 5+7 Grand Stick, which enhances mirrored 4ths even more and allows me to delve easily into the classical guitar repertoire (it's possible to play guitar arrangements note for note- one effective approach is playing the melody on the right hand and the rest on the left). I've been putting in more practice time on this new instrument and it's incredibly fun and fulfilling.

I've found the Stick to be such a great foundation for making music- it can be quite satisfying approached simply, with minimal effects, or you can build complex sonic worlds with it, able to utilize all kinds of synthesis and effects technology.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

robmartino wrote:
I went through my 20s trying to be a multi-instrumentalist (keyboard, guitar, bass) after some formal training with flute and concert bands in my school days, but I felt I wasn't getting proficient at any of them. I did get my first Stick in 1995 but it became another "dabbling" instrument along with the others.

It was when I got my first acoustic guitar around 2003 that I suddenly shifted from a multi-track composition mindset to being more interested in developing solo instrument music. I had an NS/Stick at the time and found it challenging to read piano music (I remember trying to play the first Goldberg Variation), so I revisited an idea I had before the NS/Stick was produced- to get a Grand Stick tuned in 4ths, also allowing me to adapt ideas I came up with on other instruments.

I debated whether to concentrate on acoustic guitar or Stick (I loved the completely "self contained" nature of acoustic guitar - no electronics or cables, and a beautiful feel, sound and wood smell), but I also moved to Virginia around this time and had the positive influence of attending a Stick seminar and getting to know Greg Howard.

Ultimately it seemed like there was a lot more new and fertile ground to explore with Stick, so I ended up with the mirrored 4ths Grand in 2004 (after a short time with parallel 4ths) and haven't looked back. I put down all the other instruments and the Stick has never failed to provide inspiration or limited what I've wanted to accomplish musically.

As for developing proficiency - I left my comfort zone and committed to playing open mics almost every week for a year, using just a Fishman amp with reverb. While I still don't consider myself a really solid live performer, forcing myself to get on stage helped a lot, and led to greater gig opportunities (again, Greg was a valuable friend and resource during this time).

More recently, I started to learn a bit of classical guitar which gave me other creative boost and motivated me to order the custom 5+7 Grand Stick, which enhances mirrored 4ths even more and allows me to delve easily into the classical guitar repertoire (it's possible to play guitar arrangements note for note- one effective approach is playing the melody on the right hand and the rest on the left). I've been putting in more practice time on this new instrument and it's incredibly fun and fulfilling.

I've found the Stick to be such a great foundation for making music- it can be quite satisfying approached simply, with minimal effects, or you can build complex sonic worlds with it, able to utilize all kinds of synthesis and effects technology.
Very interesting. It’s hard to “put down in words “ for a life long musician like your self. I’m sure the bumps in the road while searching for contentment is what put many instruments in your hands. When you separate the tares from the wheat you end up with fine wheat. I seen your playing it’s fine.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

No, I play some other instruments besides the Stick. For recordings, I play all kinds of guitars; acoustic, electric with 6 strings multiscale and whammy, multiscale 8-stringed, ordinary strats, tele, LP-styled, fretless, and lap steel with two levers (Dusenberg Fairytale). They all sound different and I regard them as a sort of palette when recording. I also record with sax (tenor, soprano) and flute (alto, c-flute) and EWI. And I have a fretless electric bass guitar with 5 strings that I plug in a lot for recordings. Oh, and I recently acquired a sitar, but it has only made it into three recording projects so far. I mostly record production music for media licensing these days and I don't tour any more. Only during the summers do I now get booked locally for a handful Stick solo concerts in churches, where I use the SG-12. In the past I have been playing guitars professionally for sideman touring and studio musician jobs, but as the music business looks today those kinds of gigs have become history. For solo gigs I love the Stick!

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I actually play my seven string guitar a little more than my 10 string stick at least in the past year or two.

Rosewood 10 String Stick #6092

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
No, I play some other instruments besides the Stick. For recordings, I play all kinds of guitars; acoustic, electric with 6 strings multiscale and whammy, multiscale 8-stringed, ordinary strats, tele, LP-styled, fretless, and lap steel with two levers (Dusenberg Fairytale). They all sound different and I regard them as a sort of palette when recording. I also record with sax (tenor, soprano) and flute (alto, c-flute) and EWI. And I have a fretless electric bass guitar with 5 strings that I plug in a lot for recordings. Oh, and I recently acquired a sitar, but it has only made it into three recording projects so far. I mostly record production music for media licensing these days and I don't tour any more. Only during the summers do I now get booked locally for a handful Stick solo concerts in churches, where I use the SG-12. In the past I have been playing guitars professionally for sideman touring and studio musician jobs, but as the music business looks today those kinds of gigs have become history. For solo gigs I love the Stick!

Ah-ha, there you have it ! I know pros who get bored ( non stickists) after 2 hours. Like Poorman had said quote; “ The treaded plateau “. No boredom with you and a lot to study and play. Amazing to me so many instruments. Yes the pan demon has really reposition the musician’s in the last 2 years. Two questions; how old were you when you started playing music? And how do you like the Fractal FX III ? . I also use the FX III . That alone will keep one busy.

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next