It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:38 am

Just Stick? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Just Stick?
Most likely a buried thread on this subject, but I ain’t into digging. Does anyone else actively play another instrument as much or more than Stick? Or are you Just Stick? I just can’t lose my passion for my first loves.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Just Stick?
For now, yes, I'm Stick only - couldn't afford to do more than that now, esp. after listening to the recording of our last rehearsal (where I sucked big time)! But I've had similar situations over the years with classical guitar, jazz guitar, bass so it might be changing in say a year or two ...

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:25 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just Stick for 20 years; I gave up my first instrument, fretless bass, to dedicate my time to the Stick. But I miss a fretless instrument, so I may buy someday a NS Omni Bass fretless.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Howdy friends,
I play both guitar and Stick about equally right now. I find it is easier to grasp and execute musical theory concepts and chord constructions on the Stick, due to it's tuning and consistent note layout up and down, and across, the fingerboard. I anticipate that playing the Stick will eventually inform and help expand my guitar playing.

I also "understand" the banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and resonator guitar, but I would hesitate to play them publicly at a jam session. ;-)

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:28 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I play Stick, fingerstyle acoustic, and piano/synths. Stick and guitar get about equal time right now. Over the years I've found that I can give a reasonable amount of attention to two of those but one always suffers. Right now it's the piano/keys. It's a moving target though.

One thing I like about playing multiple instruments is that I avoid the dreaded plateau. I may hit a wall with one when I'm not really improving and don't feel motivated so I'll move to one of the others. I've yet to ever get to a place where I'm not motivated to play any of them.

Of course, it's likely I'll never be a virtuoso at any of them but I can live with that ;-)

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I came from bass. First electric, then added upright, trombone, fretless. I still have electric basses, guitars in Joni tunings, a synthesiser & HandSonic & machines. And ethnic instruments. But my physical limited playing time goes to Stick. I have it on a stand now so maybe I can grab something else. But Stick. Instant gratification.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I made my living for 40+ years as a road dog pedal steel player, lived on a bus a lot of the time and played with some of the greats. But the slow death of the live music scene, Spotify, Covid and also the political ambiance around country music which is mostly where pedal steel is played professionally, made me want to stay home and play something that's culturally neutral, just as interesting and challenging as pedal steel. Also the Stick's unique ability to self-accompany makes it prefect for me right now. So it's been pretty much just Stick since around 2013. I'll take a cheesy steel or mandolin gig when it comes up just to keep my chops up or summer festivals up and down the West Coast which are a step up from Velveeta to Brie. Meanwhile I'm trying to build up enough repertoire to do a solo Stick gig in a wine bar or even just shuffle for dimes on a street corner.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Captain Strings wrote:
I made my living for 40+ years as a road dog pedal steel player, lived on a bus a lot of the time and played with some of the greats. But the slow death of the live music scene, Spotify, Covid and also the political ambiance around country music which is mostly where pedal steel is played professionally, made me want to stay home and play something that's culturally neutral, just as interesting and challenging as pedal steel. Also the Stick's unique ability to self-accompany makes it prefect for me right now. So it's been pretty much just Stick since around 2013. I'll take a cheesy steel or mandolin gig when it comes up just to keep my chops up or summer festivals up and down the West Coast which are a step up from Velveeta to Brie. Meanwhile I'm trying to build up enough repertoire to do a solo Stick gig in a wine bar or even just shuffle for dimes on a street corner.

Ah, Pedal steel ! My utmost admiration for not only the instrument but also the ones that really know their way around it. I was always tempted to buy one over the years but the degree of difficulty made me back pedal. If I was younger and had a patient teacher the stick would never have entered my mind: what a beautiful instrument..

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

As much or more than Stick? No.

- 1978 Stick gets played daily.
- Railboard gets played a few times a week.

The others get played depending on the project.
- Roli Seaboard Rise 49.
- Suzuki Olive - Key of C.
- PRS Custom 24
- Yamaha YAS-23

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
As much or more than Stick? No.

- 1978 Stick gets played daily.
- Railboard gets played a few times a week.

The others get played depending on the project.
- Roli Seaboard Rise 49.
- Suzuki Olive - Key of C.
- PRS Custom 24
- Yamaha YAS-23

A work horse indeed and aims high. Well done !

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery