It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 pm

Discover Something New Each Time You Pick Up The Stick 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Discover Something New Each Time You Pick Up The Stick
Hello Stickists,

I just wanted to post a quick note about some inspiring Stick experiences.

Life has been hectic recently and I've only been able to play Stick for 15-25 minutes first thing in the morning.

On more than one occasion I've been so tired and would think "what's the point? I've only got a few minutes before I need to get going." Or I would think "that's not enough time to practice or work on anything."

On those occasions when I've fought through that feeling and just picked up the Stick with no expectation of outcome, it's been very rewarding and inspiring.

I just put my hands on the Stick and start tapping, sometimes at random, and within minutes a new musical idea is sparked! Then from there it's as if I've tapped into something completely new and I begin hearing ideas and my fingers follow, experiencing these moments of "Free Hands" as Emmet (RIP) had described.

Albeit, my hands aren't quite that free, yet :-) but each time they inch closer to freedom and the discovery and expression of new musical ideas.

As Greg has said, the Stick is an idea machine!

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Discover Something New Each Time You Pick Up The Stick
As validation, these discoveries will be revealed every day for years and years. After playing close to 40 years and many hours per day, my daily explorations always bring new paths of sonic enlightenment. Unique techniques, harmonies, rhythms and such await the Stick explorer. With a brief history, each player is helping develop The Stick's music legacy. I witness this inspiration in my students as the light bulbs flash regularly. The Stick is that infinite pallet of colors and ideas. Coordinated exploration will yield very gratifying results.

Steve Adelson

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ted S. wrote:
...On those occasions when I've fought through that feeling and just picked up the Stick with no expectation of outcome, it's been very rewarding and inspiring.

I just put my hands on the Stick and start tapping, sometimes at random, and within minutes a new musical idea is sparked!...

I very much agree with both of you.

And there's something about the early morning hours, before our brain has become fully awake, or whatever. I know that in Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way", one of the practical steps to creating new ideas and breaking away from being "blocked" in creativity is to write in the morning.

Write, as in literally take a pen and paper and write nonstop stream of consciousness. The less thought-out & planned, the better. Early in the morning. Somehow, this taps into new ideas within other areas of life, later in the day or coming days.

So I imagine placing our fingers on the Stick strings in the same pre-awake state would be similar!

I am soon to move my rehearsal studio back to my house from across town. I think I might try this daily. Thanks for the inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

baggetthouse wrote:
So I imagine placing our fingers on the Stick strings in the same pre-awake state would be similar!

But maybe different times for different people?

I'm fully awake as soon as I get up, but I've known the sort of state Ted.S describes late in the day, not long before bed.

Sometimes by that stage my eyes are heavy & I can't read a book, or watch a video, but I decide to have a few minutes music time anyway and it turns out to be more fruitful than expected. Almost as though being in that state there's no pressure to do any particular task, just & total freedom to 'do something', and out of that 'something different' turns up? Usually at that time of day keyboard is most convenient, but maybe I should try Stick?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've gained an amazing amount of ground practicing while micro-dosing! Im playing things now I could never have imagined, also my hands have reached interdependence, which for me was THE hardest thing about playing the Stick. Also, its put a HUGE dent in the PTSD I have suffered from....

Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:38 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

From the time that I leave home for a graveyard shift, to the time that I get home the next morning, 14 hours have past. Sometimes, I don't remember the drive home. This puts my brain in a state of mind that I cannot explain. Sometimes, I pass out when I reach my pillow. Sometimes, I'm beyond trying to sleep and this is when I get the most creative with my Stick music. Other times, I play randomly while watching television. I play whatever comes into my head and it entertains me. I can't ask for more than that. The Stick is my therapeutic crutch to help me get thru life. Music has been part of my soul since the day I was placed on this Earth. I play multiple instruments for the pure pleasure of enjoying the sound. Sometimes, I enjoy the sound of my diesel engine as I roll down the highway. Each sound has it's own inspiration.

DavidWS wrote:
baggetthouse wrote:

But maybe different times for different people?

I'm fully awake as soon as I get up, but I've known the sort of state Ted.S describes late in the day, not long before bed.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ted S. wrote:
Hello Stickists,

I just wanted to post a quick note about some inspiring Stick experiences.

Life has been hectic recently and I've only been able to play Stick for 15-25 minutes first thing in the morning.

On more than one occasion I've been so tired and would think "what's the point? I've only got a few minutes before I need to get going." Or I would think "that's not enough time to practice or work on anything."

On those occasions when I've fought through that feeling and just picked up the Stick with no expectation of outcome, it's been very rewarding and inspiring.

I just put my hands on the Stick and start tapping, sometimes at random, and within minutes a new musical idea is sparked! Then from there it's as if I've tapped into something completely new and I begin hearing ideas and my fingers follow, experiencing these moments of "Free Hands" as Emmet (RIP) had described.

Albeit, my hands aren't quite that free, yet :-) but each time they inch closer to freedom and the discovery and expression of new musical ideas.

As Greg has said, the Stick is an idea machine!

Excellent post, Ted.

One thing I always try to have open is my Quicktime app, just in case I come up with something I want to document quickly with a casual reference video. Those ideas can be fleeting as our daily lives crowd into our mental space. Preserve them!

Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 pm

I'm a very new Stick player, having had my instrument for just a little over a month now, and I find it so gratifying and rewarding to play. What an idea machine, indeed. I'm finding it to be everything I'd hoped it would be.

I look forward to many years of crossing personal milestones and learning new things on it. I've played guitar and bass for over 30 years and I think back to my journeys on those instruments, where I hit learning milestones, where I "cracked the code" on techniques or certain levels of expertise that better players than I utilized. Those moments where I caught myself finally doing it and thinking to myself "holy crap, I really CAN DO this!"

Every day has been a great learning experience. I swear I can feel my mind rewiring itself. Having played bass and guitar for so long and having become accustomed to hearing certain notes in certain places on those instruments, having something so different in my hands has made me listen very closely and really scrutinize what I'm doing, and it's very gratifying.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:31 pm