It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 am

First stick recommendation? 

Post First stick recommendation?
Hi, I was thinking of getting my first stick so I've been browsing the available ones on stick.com, and I found two: the Grand Stick (I'm going for 12 strings) and the Railboard. I've looked at them and their description, and also looked a bit online but really the only difference I could understand is that one is made of metal and the other of wood.

What are their pros and cons, especially for a complete beginner? This is not my first instrument, I also play bass. But when it comes to sticks I have no experience. Any help?

Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:41 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: First stick recommendation?
Hi SP.

You’re gonna get plenty of advice up in here…
What do you want in your hands. Wood or metal?

I’ve got a Railboard and a graphite. They both have a character of their own. The sound is almost all about the pickup, so start there. I like the Railboard as it’s an engineering marvel. The new EMG pick up has an amazing tone, it has more “air” in it than some pickups, to my ears anyway.
Still, the original sound or DNA of the stick is the stickup.

Some of the new woods look awesome.. Have fun searching for your instrument.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I like the original 'StickUp' pickup the best, on my 1978 Vintage Stick.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:59 am

Thank you both for the quick answers!

Stickrad wrote:

I've only ever played my bass which is wood, so I don't really know what a metal instrument feels like, that's what I was the most unsure about. Which one feels better to you? Also, do they differ in any other way when playing?

Stickrad wrote:
it has more "air" in it than some pickups

What do you mean?

Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

A metal instrument can be cool to the touch, until it warms up a bit. Like holding a cold beer in your hand. You notice the temperature difference but it's not a big deal. Wood instruments feel warmer to the touch. If you are always playing the instrument indoors, this is not an issue.

There will always be tone differences between different pickups. It can be difficult to describe a certain tonal nuance. I use the Helix Floor with my Railboard and it is simply awesome. I use IRs (Impulse Responses) to create the tonal nuance that I am looking for. An example would be the difference between playing in a crowded room, a large hall or say the grand canyon. The difference is more than just reverb, it's a spatial thing.

IRs were created to capture that environmental space and apply it to an instruments sound or even a voice recording. The differences are very noticeable. Finding your favorite sound and space takes time, but it is worth it in the end. When you get the right feedback from your instrument, you want to play it all day long. If the instrument sounds dead and uninspiring, you might not want to play it for long.

stick-philosopher wrote:
I've only ever played my bass which is wood, so I don't really know what a metal instrument feels like, that's what I was the most unsure about. Which one feels better to you? Also, do they differ in any other way when playing?
?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:47 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have a rosewood with StickUps and a Railboard - both 10-string.

I really love the sound and the feel of the Railboard. I don't play it as much because the tuning (Matched Reciprocal) isn't appropriate for most of the instructional materials I've been using. Both instruments sound wonderful, but there is a noticeable difference.

One thing I see mentioned...like never...is how much heavier the Railboards are. Now, this is not an issue while playing. And for younger folk whose skin still retains a decent amount of moisture, this may not be an issue. But at my age my skin is quite dry, and I have to grip things harder to keep them from slipping out of my hands. (I buy drum sticks with special "grippy" coatings so they don't constantly slip in my grip.) I almost have to use two hands when carrying the Railboard from it's rack to my belt. Wood Sticks OTOH are easy for me to lift with one hand.

However, this is not something that would deter me from recommending a Railboard. They really are amazing instruments. I'm seriously thinking of re-tuning mine to Baritone Melody, though part of me simply wants to add some pieces to the repertoire that would be appropriate for the Railboard as-is. :D

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:32 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Stickrad wrote:
Hi SP.

You’re gonna get plenty of advice up in here…

I’ve got a Railboard and a graphite. They both have a character of their own. The sound is almost all about the pickup, so start there. I like the Railboard as it’s an engineering marvel. The new EMG pick up has an amazing tone, it has more “air” in it than some pickups, to my ears anyway.
Still, the original sound or DNA of the stick is the stickup.

Some of the new woods look awesome.. Have fun searching for your instrument.
I agree on the railboard emg pickup. To me it’s the best sounding pickup although the original stickup is good too , especially the bass side. The railboard is going to be a little bit heavier than a wood stick. It doesn’t make much of a difference to me , but it is something to note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It's hard to put myself back in the position of buying my first Stick. I would probably-and this is guessing-go for Emmett Chapman's latest and most advanced design. The Railboard. I mean, the guy is Visionary. Coming from bass guitar, and fretless to boot, I'm trekking into uncharted territory.
But...
I bought my first Stick, an Ironwood circa '85, because of the sound of Tony Levin, and Alphonso Johnson, and of course EMMETT CHAPMAN. The Stickup has a sound like nothing else.
My second Stick is a 12 string Bamboo with a PASV4 pu. I went for Dual Bass Reciprocal ('cause I'm a bassist). Bamboo is lovely.
But...
No satisfied AND after hearing Kevin Keith's Monster Tone, purchased an ACTV2 pu. Easy switch between 2 different pickups, modular design, just two screws in-and-out.
But...
I still want the Classic Stickup Sound on my DBR and will probably get a Stickup someday. It's not "modular perfect fit", it will sit in the other pu space kinda wonky, but seriously, if you're playing a STICK in front of people, they are NOT looking at the pickup!
Don't get me wrong, I have the PASV4 in right now and I swear I'm still getting new sounds, and I bought it in '08.
I love these fucking instruments.
My advice, GET THE FIRST ONE THAT BECOMES AVAILABLE.
If you find one used, and it's a good price (not those inflated "vintage Ironwood" prices), no matter how many strings, GRAB IT AND START THE JOURNEY. You can always sell it down the road, they hold their value, and get something that you now might be able to make an educated guess on your "dream Stick".
Or just collect 'em...

Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Permit me a moment for a shameless plug. We did a couple of episodes last year that were aimed at the prospective "new Stick buyer". Part 1 was somewhat philosophical in nature, and Part 2 was a bit more leaning toward the technical/features side of things. Perhaps it will be helpful.

https://tapintime.podbean.com/e/so-you- ... ck-part-1/

https://tapintime.podbean.com/e/so-you- ... ck-part-2/

In any event, welcome to the Stick community and journey! :-)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:17 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
My advice, GET THE FIRST ONE THAT BECOMES AVAILABLE....If you find one used, and it's a good price...GRAB IT AND START THE JOURNEY. You can always sell it down the road, they hold their value...get something...might be able to make an educated guess on your "dream Stick".
Or just collect 'em...

+1 to that.

I placed an order for a built to order Grand Railboard in September 2021. I'm still waiting on the 'built to order', but in December 2021 a 1985 Ironwood became available. Getting that allowed me to make a start. It now has a couple of more adjustable friends. Learning to adjust these used Sticks has been a fascinating journey in itself, and is still a work in progress. Along the way I decided that while I still might like a Railboard someday, for the present I'd rather have a bamboo 12 string Grand with Stickups. Fortunately there was a suitable bamboo blank available and I was able to change my order without losing my place in the production queue.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:14 pm