It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 am

12th Fret Action on a Well-Set Up Stick 

Post 12th Fret Action on a Well-Set Up Stick
Hey fellow Stickists:

I apologize in advance if this is covered in some other post, but I’ve looked around and haven’t found any clear direction.

I just bought a used Grand Stick. The previous owners did a bit of experimenting, so the factory set-up has been lost to history. I come from a guitar playing background, so my order of consideration has historically been as follows, when it comes to guitar: (1) is the neck straight?; (2) is the nut low enough?; what is the string height at the twelfth fret?.

I’ve watched Greg Howard’s set up video and searched the forum. I can’t find any guidance with regard to what the measurements, in Millimeters, should be at the 12th fret of a well-set up Stick, measured from the top of the 12th fret to the underside of a given string.

I realize the Stick is a different beast, but it would be much appreciated if someone on here could tell me what this measurement is on his/her instrument. I just want to know I’ve got my instrument in the “ballpark.”

Thanks, Travis

Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:37 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: 12th Fret Action on a Well-Set Up Stick
Hello Travis, the lowest is the best…until buzzing!
On one of mine I have 1mm between the top of the 12th fret and the underside of the external string. I’m sure it could be lower! ;)

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Usually people who don't understand how the truss works, or are concerned about adjusting based on thinking it is like a guitar truss, start messing with the bridge. It's likely that your bridge settings are wrong. can you place a butt-end view photo of the bridge screws?

Also, does your instrument have a divided truss or a single nut?

Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks Yannick. Mine’s currently at 2 mm, on the outermost, thinnest bass string.

Greg: my instrument is from 2006, I think. It has flaps and a the single truss rod. Here’s a photo of the end of the instrument. I’ve already adjusted it a bit to get it playable. One problem I’m experiencing is that if I try to lower the strings any more, the outermost ones start fretting out on the Block pickup housing when I play the highest fret. I’m sure I wouldn’t play up there much, if ever, but it still doesn’t seem right.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:21 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Travis59j wrote:
if I try to lower the strings any more, the outermost ones start fretting out on the Block pickup housing when I play the highest fret. I’m sure I wouldn’t play up there much, if ever, but it still doesn’t seem right.

I had that issue too, so I lowered the block a touch (using the adjusting grub screws, turned from the back using a hex key).

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Travis59j wrote:
Thanks Yannick. Mine’s currently at 2 mm, on the outermost, thinnest bass string.

Greg: my instrument is from 2006, I think. It has flaps and a the single truss rod. Here’s a photo of the end of the instrument. I’ve already adjusted it a bit to get it playable. One problem I’m experiencing is that if I try to lower the strings any more, the outermost ones start fretting out on the Block pickup housing when I play the highest fret. I’m sure I wouldn’t play up there much, if ever, but it still doesn’t seem right.

It certainly looks like the block is high. The top of the module should be on the same plane as the tops of the frets (easy to check with a ruler), maybe even slightly lower.

You should ultimately be able to play every note on your instrument if you want to. It's a Stick!

Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

The block is pretty much bottomed out on the bass side, with just a little play left on the melody side. If I place a ruler on the frets, on the bass-side and slide it from the end of fretboard toward the Block, it starts scraping the Block maybe 3/4’s of an inch in, which seems to indicate that the Block is a bit higher than the frets and angled up toward the bridge.

On the melody side, there’s still room for the Block to drop down a bit, but I can’t find a way to keep in pressed all the way down. I can squeeze it, but when I release it, it comes back up. The two phillips screws on top of the Block, which I assume would press the pick-up down, to contact the Allen screws from the back, don’t seem to have any effect on keeping the pickup pressed against the Allen screws.

The reason I asked about 12th fret action is that I was thinking maybe I’m trying to set the bridge too low, but if others can get it to 1mm at the 12th fret, and I’m at 2mm, that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

I’m mystified.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:55 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Travis59j wrote:
I’m mystified.

Perhaps a few more images, e.g.

Side view of block area (from last fret to bridge) from bass side

Side view block area (from last fret to bridge) from melody side

Include an 'overhead' view from front, & even rear too, if you wish?

When there's a mystery, the more clues the better?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:04 am

My issue may be more of a non-issue, but I’m still not sure. I made a few more changes:

1. Loosened the four hex screws so that they would allow the Block to sit as low as possible.

2. Removed and lubricated (with wax) the two Phillips screws that hold the Block from the top. These were feeling tight before the grommet had even touched the block to secure it. So they weren’t doing their job before. I then tightened them until the Block has little up/down movement. There’s still a tiny bit.

3. The biggest change: I had previously straightened the neck by “sighting” it. I thought I had it right, but it can be hard to tell. When I picked up the used Stick it looked like the neck had a pretty serious arch. So I relaxed the truss rod. It’s been that way until today. Today, I tightened it a little, maybe a quarter turn, and the action at 12th fret came down to 1.5 mm on both sides, highest strings. This seems more reasonable, but I don’t know what the standard is here.

4. With all of the above, there’s now no fretting out on the Block.

Here are some additional photos, after the above steps. I’m starting to think I should stop worrying about it and just play the thing! :) But I would still like some feedback on whether the action is reasonable for good stick play.

Thanks to all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:36 am

Hi guys,

Didn’t mean to imply in the previous post that I’ve “given up” on getting the action lower. After searching a bit more on the forum I found one person who said that the twelve fret action height on his outer strings was .53 millimeters. Mine won’t get there without fretting out on the block. But I am still not sure what the “normal” range is for this.

Sorry to dwell so much on a measurement, but it’s the only way I can think of to know whether what I’m experiencing (1.5 mm at the 12th fret on outer strings) is higher than typical.

If I have to send the Stick back to SE to get them to sort it, I will. But I don’t want the hassle and expense if it’s not necessary.

Anyone else have measurements they’d be willing to share? Thanks!

Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:52 am