It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Removable belt hook? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Removable belt hook?
What is this monopod you speak of? Please send pictures.

StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
It seems to me that you're just trying to remove that big obtrusive belt hook.

Not really. My aim is a nice steady mount for use with a stand. I don't play stood up & don't anticipate that changing.

A lapbar is okay (I have a modified DIY DBro style bar) but isn't ideal. I much prefer having the Stick in a stand since that give me more freedom for relative movement.

For use with a stand I started with a DIY arrangement along similar lines to the tagg, with the belt hook fitting into a wooden arrangement that attached to a cymbal stand.

The issue I found with that was the same that others have observed, i.e. a degree of 'bounce' due to the slight flexibility of the belt hook & its mount.

I was quite happy with my previous arrangement, which had both the belt hook and a 'module' mount I could clamp to my stand.

This new arrangement however seems better as it moves the module mount to a better, stronger, position (i.e. just where the hook usually is), with the demountable nature still allowing for a belt hook if I need to use one (e.g. using the Stick away from my usual location).

To my way of thinking the 'permanent steel or aluminium plate' you describe would just be a refinement of the wooden block I currently have attached to the Stick.

ReyStick wrote:
Just tossing ideas around.

Thanks. Your thoughts & time are appreciated.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup G1 C2 F2 A#2 D#1..desc 4ths..D4
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 G1 C2 F2 A#1 D#1..4ths..D4
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:35 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I designed my own Stick Stand a while back.
I was always worried about it getting knocked over.
https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12070

So, I designed a Stick Monopod.
In my mind, it's the best solution to the problem.
https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16259
ReyStick wrote:
What is this monopod you speak of? Please send pictures.
StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:07 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great ideas and ways of thinking!

I think that all three of us (and perhaps many more out there) are thinking in the same direction.
If it was just for me and my sticks I would just take the belt hook off and screw on some kind of lap bar.

But my designer soul (sorry, but it is my profession) tells me that there are a lot of stick players out there who are simply looking for alternatives and are not entirely satisfied with the belt hook/neck strap solution.

And so I thought it would be best if one could find a tool that would allow to "clip" different things onto the stick, depending on whether you are playing the instrument sitting, lying, standing or whatever connected or not. And the film and photo camera world is an open book for us and it has already many (normally quite expensive) solutions. A button-fix or keyhole solution or something similar of course would be much cheaper and would work just as well.

The main problem with the Stick is the center of gravity and how to deal with it, so that the instrument is best playable in various modes. We've seen it with a lap bar or Lap Dawg, or various other self made solutions. It works standing up with a belt hook in combination with a neck strap (the original solution, horrible in my opinion!).

All "serious" instruments have a shape that allows them to be played in a more or less "normal" position (lute, guitar, mandolin, cello, saxophone, ... ) without using any aids. But: You can't just pick up the stick and play! On the one hand, it has to be electrically amplified, on the other hand, the ergonomics are simply not right (sorry Emmett!). But it is even worth out there: when I see other instruments (warr guitar, touch guitar, ..) I see guitar shapes that have nothing to do with the original ergonomics. None of them come close to the ergonomics of a "real" guitar, and I don't understand why you should position a guitar body anywhere in the knee region.

Coming back to our issue:
There will probably never be an ideal position for the Stick, and everyone will find his/her own way. But maybe we (together) can find a way to cover the majority of stick players with a flexible system that works for (almost) everyone.

A kind of clip system that I can order from SE: belt hook, lap bar, monopad, ... or just a standard system where you can clip everything imaginable.

It hink that will be possible!

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ouch, I think the Creator thought about a lot of these things that you were speaking of, Meugel.

I think keeping it close to your body and using it as a part of yourself, was somewhat of the intent.

I think there are a lot of different ways to mount it to your body,

I think once you learn the instrument, it doesn't matter how you hold it.

You can learn guitar sitting down or standing up. Emmett played the stick standing up. Some people like to sit down. The stick was an extension, or part of Emmett, just like any other tool is a part of the person wielding it.

It doesn't matter how you hold it or what's holding it eventually you'll be able to just play it like Jimi Hendrix. Hahaha.

I guess eventually it will become free hands..

StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I don't find it that difficult to put my belt on and play the stick. Or sit down and play the stick. It's not an acoustic guitar obviously, but I think it works for most people who want to play it.

StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I also think you're wrong about the ergonomics, I think it's very ergonomic.

I guess it really depends on what you're trying to do with it, and how you're playing it. Personally, I feel it's very comfortable.

StIcKsTiCkStUckStickinG

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
Ouch, I think the Creator thought about a lot of these things that you were speaking of, Meugel.

Yes! I am sure about this! But first of all he created HIS OWN instrument, for himself.

As a professional industrial designer I can say that it works for many of us, but we could improve it ...

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I don't find it that difficult to put my belt on and play the stick. Or sit down and play the stick. It's not an acoustic guitar obviously, but I think it works for most people who want to play it.

I do not like the belt hook solution. Playing various guitars an basses for over 40 years I can say that it works not so good (for me!). The biggest problem is not the belt hook as it is, but the combination with the neck strap. They only work together. And together they are trying to solve the problem of the center of gravity, which lays outside of belt hook and neck strap.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I also think you're wrong about the ergonomics, I think it's very ergonomic

In the classic sense of industrial design it is not ergonomic. The basic intention ist right, but it works only for a few.

ReyStick wrote:
I guess it really depends on what you're trying to do with it, and how you're playing it. Personally, I feel it's very comfortable.

Yes! It depends completely on what you are trying to do with. For me it's comfortable only without the neck strap - and then we come back to the center of gravity ;)

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next