It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 am

Advantages of 12 strings 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Advantages of 12 strings
stickyfingers wrote:
Sounds to me you have two really nice Sticks. Try working with them for a few years. I’m an amateur hobbyist player but I really love my 10s I’ve played 12s and they are great sticks. Being a simple player I have my hands full on my 10s but they suit me fine. I play SB8 and they are loads of fun. Don’t jump ships to fast regrets kind of hurt. Only my humble opinion. Best to you .

+1...or just my view too....

Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
OnceAgain wrote:
if one needs to go back to SE for repairs, you aren't left Stickless for months.

Good point. Also, @stickyfingers to your point, Jeff is quoting 14-16 months lead time on a Grand Railboard. We all know that means in practical terms, it would be more like 24 months! :roll: :lol: So I'd definitely have a couple of years into using both 10-strings long before the Grand Railboard arrived!!

Maybe what I should do is re-string the Railboard for Baritone Melody and see how that works. I already have a spare set of strings I could use, so I wouldn't even have to fork out $50 for strings. As mentioned above, the two pieces I've learned on the MR Railboard can both be played successfully (given some time to acclimate to the changes in string and rail/rod spacing) on the BM rosewood.

FWIW i think the added range provided by a 12 str ( especially on the melody side ) has real value. i found on some pieces like "spiegel im spiegel" to be very difficult to adapt on a 10 string, but worked out ok on a 12 string. i never found it harder to play than a 10 string myself.

Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
FWIW i think the added range provided by a 12 str ( especially on the melody side ) has real value. i found on some pieces like "spiegel im spiegel" to be very difficult to adapt on a 10 string, but worked out ok on a 12 string. i never found it harder to play than a 10 string myself.

Even with my small hands, an additional 1/8" of reach (compared to my 10-string Railboard) can't require much adjustment.

I spent some time practicing one of the pieces I normally play on the MR on the BM yesterday. It was definitely do-able, but I could see that while my RH is centered around frets 15-17 on the MR, it moves down to 18-20 when playing on the BM. Not hard, but a bit of a reach. But to your point, I could play it up around frets 13-15 on the BM if I had that extra 6th string!! :)

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I never adjusted to the spacing on 12-string instruments. I have tried to move to the 12r, but prefer the feel of the 10-string.

Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

earthgene wrote:
I never adjusted to the spacing on 12-string instruments. I have tried to move to the 12r, but prefer the feel of the 10-string.

That's interesting. The difference between my rosewood and Railboard (1/4") is the same as the difference between a 10-string Railboard and a Grand Railboard. I find it only mildly and temporarily noticeable. I just re-tuned the Railboard from MR to BM and spent a couple of hours doing everything on the Railboard and had no significant issues. It's a little different, for sure, but it seems like a couple of days and it'll feel just like "home" :)

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:23 am