It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

Newbie with some advice for other newbies 

Post Newbie with some advice for other newbies
Hi Everybody,

I've been reading this forum and for a while now, enjoying the excellent and informative postings by you all, and have decided to join in with my first post.

I have a wonderful 1987 Ironwood stick that I purchased many years ago, and sadly have not played it much at all throughout that time, but a few months ago I decided to finally get off my butt and start practicing the stick more seriously. I've been practicing regularly at least every other day at a minimum now, and am making some progress. I am loving it now, and can't wait to get out and play it on a gig!! It's such a beatiful, unique, and wonderful sounding instrument, I really regret not getting serious about it sooner.

Probably the biggest inhibtor (besides plain old procrastination) to me playing it in the past was poor setup. The instrument was not setup properly when I had obtained it, so I found it somewhat difficult to play. I always wanted to get it out to Stick Enterprises for a proper refurb and setup, but never seemed to get around to it. Fortunately for me, when I started again a few months ago, I came across Greg Howard's excellent setup guide at http://www.stick.com/articles/setup/

I would strongly advise any newbie who's purchased their first stick to read that article thoroughly and follow the setup steps exactly, and I'm certain your instrument will then be at it's optimum playability. I had previously tried on my own to adjust the screws on my stick for a better action, with very poor results, but after following Greg's steps, I can't believe how much better it plays and sounds now. It's made all the difference, thanks Greg!!

Sun May 03, 2009 6:24 pm