It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 am

How's the 10 String Grand? 

Post How's the 10 String Grand?
I've got big hands and navigating my 12 String Krappy can be rough without tapping the adjacent strings at times. I've read up a lot on the 10 String Grand and it honestly sounds like the perfect tapper for me. When I look online though I hardly see any information on it. In fact I don't think I've ever even seen a listing for a used one before.

Were not many produced? Is the demand for it just really low or was there some flaw in the design I'm unaware of? I'm curious if anyone here has/had one or has had a chance to tinker with one and has any thoughts on it.

Oh and if you find yourself contemplating getting rid of yours well....

Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: How's the 10 String Grand?
Here's the listing details from Stick Enterprises website.

The 10-string Grand Center-to-center string spacing is .350"
https://stick.com/instruments/tsg/

The 10-string Railboard Center-to-center string spacing is .340"
https://stick.com/instruments/railboard/

The 10-string Stick Center-to-center string spacing is .320"
https://stick.com/instruments/stick/

The 12-string Grand Center-to-center string spacing is .305"
https://stick.com/instruments/grand/

The 12-string Railboard Center-to-center string spacing is .305"
https://stick.com/instruments/railboard/

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ICantTap wrote:
I've got big hands and navigating my 12 String Krappy can be rough without tapping the adjacent strings at times. I've read up a lot on the 10 String Grand and it honestly sounds like the perfect tapper for me. When I look online though I hardly see any information on it. In fact I don't think I've ever even seen a listing for a used one before.

Were not many produced? Is the demand for it just really low or was there some flaw in the design I'm unaware of? I'm curious if anyone here has/had one or has had a chance to tinker with one and has any thoughts on it.

FWIW 10 str railboard is decently close to a 10 grand. that and the keel thumb position (there is still a small bevel on the edge of the fretboard to you can play in that position as well) might be more comfortable for you

I'd drop Kevin Keith a note, I think he's got big hands. Sure, if you haven't heard him, you'll give up playing after, but hey...thems the breaks

Oh whoops, this bubbled up on new comments. Sounds like you may have gotten your stick!

no design flaw, just a more niche configuration (like the SB-8)

Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

begin again wrote:
ICantTap wrote:

Indeed I was able to get one for myself! I appreciate the answer regardless though

FWIW 10 str railboard is decently close to a 10 grand. that and the keel thumb position (there is still a small bevel on the edge of the fretboard to you can play in that position as well) might be more comfortable for you

I'd drop Kevin Keith a note, I think he's got big hands. Sure, if you haven't heard him, you'll give up playing after, but hey...thems the breaks

Oh whoops, this bubbled up on new comments. Sounds like you may have gotten your stick!

no design flaw, just a more niche configuration (like the SB-8)

Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:12 am