It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Future of Stick Enterprises 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: The Future of Stick Enterprises
DavidWS wrote:
PS. The second video link didn't work for me here in the UK. Was it maybe the same as this one?

THANKS, I'll update that errored link

I'll make sure to use the youtube tag next time (last time I think I tried video, I didn''t realize there was a specific youtube tag

Fri May 03, 2024 7:52 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

begin again wrote:
Not sure what the assembly time for railboard is...but I suspect it's significantly lower and I think the blanks are batch processed.
So we may be talking significantly higher throughput for those orders
getting more instruments into more hands

I ordered a Railboard, 12-str, on Nov 30 2021 and yesterday I got informed that it will be ready for delivery "one or two months after we have received the new aluminum we are awaiting".

That indicates an assembly time of one to two months. The main bottleneck seems to be stocking up on parts.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
begin again wrote:
That indicates an assembly time of one to two months. The main bottleneck seems to be stocking up on parts.

Perhaps not quite as clear as that?

It may only indiate a one to two month assembly time if your Railboard happens to be the only (or at least first) Railboard in the queue for the batch of new aluminium?

Also, stock bottlenecks presumably only come into play if they exist at the point when the instrument reaches the head of the order queue?

It seems likely that the reason for most of the 2 years or more wait between order & completion is simply the number of instuments ahead in the queue?

All just speculation, of course. The only certainty is that a Stick (or Railboard) is ready when it's ready...

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 3a5+8d4+3a5 C2 F1 Bb0 D#1 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4 G3
Bamboo 12 #5826 Custom Pasv Pickup F1 Bb0...D4 G3 C3
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 9d4 + 2a5 F1 Bb0...D4

Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:47 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
Per Boysen wrote:
begin again wrote:

Perhaps not quite as clear as that?

It may only indiate a one to two month assembly time if your Railboard happens to be the only (or at least first) Railboard in the queue for the batch of new aluminium?

Just to be clear, I think we were looking at assembly time (not delivery time) ie the time for the assembly operation itself in the project flow.

Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

begin again wrote:
Just to be clear, I think we were looking at assembly time (not delivery time) ie the time for the assembly operation itself in the project flow.

Fair comment.

However, it's still the case that we simply have no idea. There are way too many unknown factors, so I stick (no pun intended) with "It's ready when it's ready".

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 3a5+8d4+3a5 C2 F1 Bb0 D#1 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4 G3
Bamboo 12 #5826 Custom Pasv Pickup F1 Bb0...D4 G3 C3
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 9d4 + 2a5 F1 Bb0...D4

Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
begin again wrote:

Fair comment.

However, it's still the case that we simply have no idea. There are way too many unknown factors, so I stick (no pun intended) with "It's ready when it's ready".

yeah, I'm looking more at process control/improvement perspective [was involved with that in a former life...hm now that I think about it, still involved with it, but in a different capacity] . Not as a customer waiting for delivery but regarding navigating transitions and longevity of the Chapman Stick.
I would really hate for Chapman Stick to become a non-viable "there once was this..." blip in history
or become Behringer Stick

Last edited by begin again on Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

DavidWS wrote:
It seems likely that the reason for most of the 2 years or more wait between order & completion is simply the number of instruments ahead in the queue?

If so, it's great that they are selling well.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
DavidWS wrote:

If so, it's great that they are selling well.

ageed! Death to videodrome....

Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My $0.02:

Every day we have Stick Enterprises available to us is a blessing. Some day it will disappear. This is inevitable. Nothing lasts forever.

The Stick, and the business built on it, was the personal vision and passion of one guy. It's amazing that Grace (see what I did there?) and the team have kept it alive. And it's a tribute to all of us that we continue to support it, and one another. This is a close-knit community and that's what makes it wonderful.

Make no mistake: This is a very small niche in a very big world. After decades, most people are still astonished that such a thing even exists.

It is precisely because of this closeness and small scale that I am doing all I can to future-proof my investment. I'm grabbing every physical asset I can, while I can. Books, DVDs, extra strings, all of it. When I'm ready I fully intend to do the same with the highly perishable knowledge and skills of those who lead the community. I've already taken the first small step with the recent Brooklyn seminar.

Events like this, too, won't always be there. Make hay while the sun shines.

I'm of an age where all I really need to do is guarantee that I can enjoy and learn from this amazing instrument for another 15 or 20 years. By that time I might, just possibly, have reached a level of proficiency that elevates me above sheer embarrassment.

Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post The Future of Stick Enterprises
With the advent of the railboard, one would think a lot of the production would be straightforward for that product. It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s some bottleneck like anodizing them properly. With emg making the pickups now for the railboard, that’s the only thing I can think of though. I’m likely showing my ignorance at this point though [emoji81]. as someone said we’ll likely never know what the bottleneck is for railboards. I live down the road from them. I’d probably do rough assembly of ‘em part time if that helped [emoji1783]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:23 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next