It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:10 am

StaffTab... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: StaffTab...
Perhaps the programming genius of EricTheGray is beginning to see an opportunity. Maybe a LilyPond patch the does full StaffTab and let's say $50 each for the patch. Being just a patch it should be a reasonably manageable project. I would think that there would be 10-20+ of us out there that would buy it. (Who knows maybe with Tappistry.org, even more like 35+ and of course the pricepoint could be adjusted to broaden the appeal.) Eric makes $500-1000+ to help fund his musical endeavors while enhancing his beloved LilyPond in the same way he probably will longterm anyway.

I'd drop the $50 to help fund the project.

No pressure EricTheGray, just an idea. You know me always popping out ideas.

-Curtis

P.S. I'll be out of the loop due to a ice storm induce power outage. I came to the library to pay some bills that were due and couldn't wait it out with me.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

CurtisAbbott wrote:
No pressure EricTheGray, just an idea. You know me always popping out ideas.

Yeah...and in public! I love your enthusiasm Curtis but you should probably sound the idea out one-to-one over a matter like this...see that PM button over there? ;-)

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

CurtisAbbott wrote:
I'd drop the $50 to help fund the project.

No need for this, everything I do with lilypond is going to be shared with the Stick community for free. I don't want to worry about money in this part of my life. I would like to point out that lilypond is a free and open-source project. It is also probably just for computer geeks. If you can read the source code for my Gymnopedie transcription and make any sense of it then you might be a candidate.

CurtisAbbott wrote:
No pressure EricTheGray, just an idea.

That's one of the reasons I don't want any money, then there really isn't any pressure and I can just have fun! :)

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Eric,

I don't use lilypond, but I'm familiar with typesetting programs (TeX, LaTeX, etc), I'm an IT guy that can write code in python, scheme and c (my C skills are a little bit rusty but I'll catch up if needed); if you want / need a little bit help with the project let me know.

I had a quick look on the lilypond doc and there is already a standard way to change the note shapes (shapeNoteStyles property) so maybe a macro or a little scheme hack will do the 'syntactic sugaring' to simplify the use.
I will look for a way to add the 'string markers', if there is not easy automatic way to do it, it is always possible to generate and SVG file from lilypond and add them with a SVG editor...
The last step will be to 'sample' a stick in order to generate a stick soundfont and have a midi file that sounds like a stick.
I'll try to spend a little bit of time with lilypond this week-end.

Cheers, Daniel

PS:
- Changing the shape of notes http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=254
- A site full of lilypond 'recipes' and snippets http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Browse

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very cool! I teach computer programming (java, PHP, Perl, Ruby, etc.) but I don't know scheme. Lilypond can be extended and customized with scheme. I have also found the resources for custom noteheads and I just haven't put the time in yet. This is a busy semester with my wife also going to college and then there's the active kids. I'll get to it but if you want to collaborate on this project then that would probably inspire me to find a little time sooner than this summer. I'm sure that we can do everything we want with lilypond because you can always add straight postscript code. I'll PM you and thanks!

-Eric

arsacane wrote:
Eric,

I don't use lilypond, but I'm familiar with typesetting programs (TeX, LaTeX, etc), I'm an IT guy that can write code in python, scheme and c (my C skills are a little bit rusty but I'll catch up if needed); if you want / need a little bit help with the project let me know.

I had a quick look on the lilypond doc and there is already a standard way to change the note shapes (shapeNoteStyles property) so maybe a macro or a little scheme hack will do the 'syntactic sugaring' to simplify the use.
I will look for a way to add the 'string markers', if there is not easy automatic way to do it, it is always possible to generate and SVG file from lilypond and add them with a SVG editor...
The last step will be to 'sample' a stick in order to generate a stick soundfont and have a midi file that sounds like a stick.
I'll try to spend a little bit of time with lilypond this week-end.

Cheers, Daniel

PS:
- Changing the shape of notes http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=254
- A site full of lilypond 'recipes' and snippets http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Browse

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Greg,
greg wrote:
If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks so much! I'll try it out all of your suggestions this weekend and see if I can get them to work.

Jim

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:50 am
Contributor
Contributor

Awwww! I liked the idea of you making a few dollars. Oh, well. As far as the code for LilyPond... (that is consumer input level code) it seems pretty straight forward to me. I think anyone could use it. It is just This=That. If you guys put that together there will be allot of thankful folks.

-Curtis

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:54 pm