It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:28 pm

Trilian 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Trilian
Has anybody seen the new Trilian bass software instrument from Spectrasonics? This company has done some extremely impressive stuff in the past. I was just watching videos on their new bass product and was fairly blown away by the acoustic and electric basses.

Then they surprised me with a Chapman Stick section of the instrument.

It's kind of hard to say how good it is because they giving the demo clearly didn't fully grasp the possible (and impossible) articulations of a Stick. So there was lot going on that clearly gave away the fact that he was not playing a Stick. The sounds seemed really nice though. And the software provides for different EQing and FXing of the bass and melody strings. They obviously did their homework.

Check it out at http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilian_videos.php

The Stick is in the "electric demo" video.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Trilian
Give a listen as well to the acoustic bass section.
Oh my!

This is the end of civilization. Who needs a 300 year old upright that doesn't fit in a car anyway?
Will this do to basses what the CD did to vinyl?

BTW- the audience really dug the Stick demo.

SA

Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Here's a keyboardist who really enjoys getting into the nuances of all the various bass instruments, Stick included. Lots of appealing and valuable bass licks there - good for recording sessions.

Thanks Glenn for this news about Spectrasonics' sophisticated new synth technology and software. It was enlightening to watch his demo of all the bass sounds, instruments, brands, amps and finger effects that many pro bass players strive for.

And yes, the "Chapman Stick" had a great sampled sound, especially on the deep bass. The melody side was a bit more "idealized" and swirly to my ears, even before the chorusing effect came in.

Now I need to askTrilian/Spectrasonics to add an acknowledgment to their publicity, to the effect that "Stick" is our federally registered trademark and is used in their video and promotion with our permission (which we'll of course be interested in freely giving).

I'll be sure to send Trilian a message in this regard. Nice to have The Stick included in such a first class presentation though.

Best, Emmett.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Spectrasonics has a really good reputation and they've been put into heavy use by a lot of soundtrack heavyweights including the likes of Hans Zimmer.

The amazing thing about Trilian too is that all that bass (electric, acoustic, synth, etc) comes with a US price tag of about $275. It makes it really hard to NOT pick it up just for giggles.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure the delay "switch" on the screen was always on until the heavier fx, even before the chorus was put on for the clean 4ths side sim. It was still a fine sounding tone, even if not totally effects-free. I wonder how close the sim actually sounds when chording in 5ths and putting in simulated stick percussion.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes Technology is amazing. We are getting to the point where any instrument can sound like any other (to an extent) when "interfaced". I for one really like this. I think that it really frees up composers to create and get their music out to listeners (without relying on a full orchestra, or in tune upright player). I DO NOT feel that it is the end of the upright bass (or the stick for that matter) There is a big difference in experiencing a real bass being played near you and especially BY YOU. The sound is engulfing the vibrations run through you. You may be able to fool the listener 19 feet away, but not the player. And I think the sound and feel will always be the things which draw players to instruments young and old.
The same I think is true for the stick. even though the sound may be coming from the speakers, there is a REAL physical connection to this great instrument which is unparalleled. Ultimately it is the musician which makes the difference and it dosen't really matter which instrument is chosen (or which patch). The only thing that matters is the music.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... It is Emmett's FREE HANDS method which has been the life changing force for me. For whatever reason I have always struggled with keyboards, brass and winds it has always been strings that I could make music with. And Emmett's method opened a whole new world for me and many others on this forum. So.... I think this new stuff is GREAT and I plan on using it A LOT in the future but replace a bass or a stick
NO WAY!!

Brett

Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

That was well put Brett, and it reminds me of an epiphany I had recently.

I have used two of three different piano sims that have gotten very high marks. Indeed, they sound fantastic. I have an 88-key MIDI controller that has wood keys for that piano feel. Generally my mode of operation is to use this setup when recording and editing and re-recording and re-editing. But when I think a tune is finished, I will generally turn the track off and replay it on my acoustic piano. The piano itself is a Yamaha C3. At 6' feet and 1 inch, this is the smallest piano that is still considered a "Grand."

Now ... when I'm not actually playing and simply playing back something I recorded, the software piano sounds superb. But I've just never gotten comfortable sitting down at the MIDI controller and playing just for playing sake and for the longest time I wondered why. Then one day I realized the difference.

When I sit down at the C3 and play, especially when I'm playing a bit louder and lower in pitch, the vibration travels up my arms and down to my socks. At the controller .... nothing. It's all audio. Even with the volume turned up. Once I realized that, I also realized that it was that connection via vibration that really sucks you in and makes you and your instrument and the music all one clump of cosmic stuff.

So yeah ... like Brett ... I like the technology. I use the technology. But I don't see any violinists running out to replace their instruments with an M-Audio controller and a string sim any time soon. Hell, we've been using sequencers in place of drums for 30 years now but that hasn't detracted people from taking up drums.

Regretfully though, I'm quite certain all this has killed many hundreds of musician jobs.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Brett said: "There is a big difference in experiencing a real bass being played near you and especially BY YOU. The sound is engulfing the vibrations run through you. You may be able to fool the listener 19 feet away, but not the player."

And Glenn said: "When I sit down at the C3 and play, especially when I'm playing a bit louder and lower in pitch, the vibration travels up my arms and down to my socks. At the controller .... nothing. It's all audio. Even with the volume turned up.

So you want vibrations. That can be arranged. With digital technology, no sooner said than done - well, give it a little software development time. Just say where and how strong. Spectratronics could probably hype it. In your shoes, in your chair? (This might be getting a bit personal.) Just send them your suggestion. I did correspond with them after my last post here and I did provide a link to this subject, so we might have their attention.

The mystery is, The Stick and its very light tapping technique doesn't produce much of a string vibration at all, neither through the fingers or the arms or down to the socks. Yet we hear all the time that the sound and the feel are acoustical, to player and audience alike. I myself have often said that the Stick sensation is that of an acoustical instrument, yet it must be electrically amplified. I like to explain things but can't really explain this effect.

Brett also said: "It is Emmett's FREE HANDS method which has been the life changing force for me. For whatever reason I have always struggled with keyboards, brass and winds it has always been strings that I could make music with. And Emmett's method opened a whole new world for me and many others on this forum. So.... I think this new stuff is GREAT and I plan on using it A LOT in the future but replace a bass or a stick NO WAY!!

Many thanks Brett for your good words about "Free Hands". Over the years, Yuta and I have heard it many times, that the method and the instrument can be a life changing event, as it has been for me! Of course, not all musicians are ready to have their lives changed, thus the restricted market.

Thanks all around for "good vibrations", Emmett.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I like the picture of the Virtual Stick in their Gallery.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilian_gallery.php

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

"Regretfully though, I'm quite certain all this has killed many hundreds of musician jobs."

Studio performance jobs are killed, but many more compositional jobs can be created at a lower price to sound quality ratio than ever before. Less canned music, more composers getting a chance to be paid! As technology changes, jobs change.

There is still a demand for buggy whips TODAY, it's just a specialized market. And we're lucky that people like to play and hear music a lot more than they like to ride in buggies :)

Edit: Oh yeah, and that is a beautiful "virtual stick" picture!

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:16 pm