It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:48 am

Guilty pleasures 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Guilty pleasures
twizzle wrote:
worst offender - soundtrack to High School Musical.
Touche!

Yesterday I was watching a TV special showing several of the memorable musical performances that took place on the Ed Sullivan show and it reminded how much I've always loved the tune "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and the Papas.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I also listen to a lot of Prog, Jazz, Afrobeat, Psych, Electronica...etc. that is different than most of my colleges, but the one guilty pleasure that really stands out as 'not like the others' is...

Warlock. :oops: The album art says it all...

It is one of those albums that takes me back to the horror of big hair and metal like no other.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Two of my absolute all time favorite instrumentals that are always in rotation on my mp3 player:

1. Our Winter Love - Bill Pursell
2. Theme from a Summer Place - Percy Faith

Of course, either one of those pieces is apt to be followed by:
1. Tarkus - ELP
2. RightOff - Miles Davis
3. Stylo - Gorillaz
4. Silver Bird Is Heading For The Sun - Terje Rydal

I love diversity...........

Darryl

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm

I listen to anime soundtracks a lot. Yes, you read that right. I especially like the work of Choro Club, an acoustic trio with mandolin, double bass and guitar who did the music for Aria and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Lately I have been trying to play some of their stuff on my Stick, and it's actually pretty tough.

I am also partial to some intro tunes, like those of Aoi Hana by Kukikodan, Sketchbook by Kiyoura Natsumi and or those of the Aria series by Makino Yui--but my favorite is that of the Aria Arietta DVD by SONOROUS. Of course, understanding Japanese helps, but man, those melodies by themselves are something.

On the non-anime side, there is the album Far Away Trains Passing by... by Ulrich Schnauss. The laser of my CD player must have deep-fried the location of the track "Between Us And Them" by now.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:24 am