It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 pm

Newbie on the board 

Post Re: Newbie on the board
88persuader wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:
another newbie here as well...
I DID own an early 10-string about 15 years ago, and loved it, but had to sell it at a time when poor economics prevailed.
Now I have a brand new 12-string Grand and love it's feel and sound as well.
However, I'm also an ol' guitarist of 40 years who is looking forward to a new challenge, and if anyone is ever passing through San Diego, feel free to look me up and we'll jam!

Greg

Greg I believe Tom Griesbraber is from San Diego. His original music and abilities on the Stick are outstanding. I don't know if he has time to "jam" being a busy gigging/recording Stick player but he may still be a good person to try to contact? You never know, perhaps he'd be willing to give you a few lessons? You may have a wonderful Stick resource right in your own back yard! I'm sure you can get his contact information from his web site. Doesn't hurt to ask if you're interested!

ANYWHO ... good luck and welcome to the community!

Yes, I know Tom is down here - actually only about 3 miles away I believe! I also know he's gigging a lot, in fact I THINK he's playing with Adrien Belew - who has a concert here locally (Two blocks away), so I may try to check in with him there (if he's doing the gig).

Thanks,

Greg

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hey, Ed!

I am also super new to the stick and i basically know nothing at all, haha. I'm still learning how to tune the thing. But yes, learning I shall, and I am awainting my stickology book/dvd. Hopefully it get's me started.

Good luck on your stick voyage!

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>But yes, learning I shall, and I am awainting my stickology book/dvd. Hopefully it get's me started.<<

"Stickology...." comes with a guarantee. If it doesn't motivate you, we'll send you another copy.
But I have confidence, one copy will do the trick.

Justin Case

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Is that one for the melody and one for bass Steve? I think Emmett suggests that you read them cross-eyed, but beware, the damn bass book is backwards and all of the words are ascending!! :D

Kris

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:22 pm

I am so new, I haven't even begun yet. But all the ideas and advice I've picked up from you guys over the last month or so has been invaluable. Thankyou all!

Currently looking for 2nd hand options in the UK, but very nearly able to cough up for a new model.

But then, I guess I've still got plently of time left to get into this, being a college guy! :P

Last edited by Thor on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>Currently looking for 2nd hand options<<

Usually the second hand plays the melody.
Now if you can add a third hand, then you're sayin' somethin'
BTW-on digital clocks, there is no 2nd hand.

Roger N. Aut

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .... :roll:

Oh I'm splitting my sides here! ;)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:55 pm

hey all, just had to jump in this ''group therapy'' session and expose my past. We're all very much alike it seems. welp....I to am a life long working bass player 42 yrs on the gig!! I'm 56yrs old . I'm not a wiz-bang technition, just a grizzled vet like so many of you. So with only a year + on stick I have been totally humbled , all I do is practice ....and put me on the ''one cloud list'' . by the way I talked on the telephone today with master Emmett Chapman . they're sending my bamboo grand out maybe today or monday. Lt. bam,combo tuners, new pasv4, ahhhhh,cant wait, Tony

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:22 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

twizzle wrote:
Hi Ed - Always glad to see someone older than me join!

One Cloud is my favourite stick piece, an inspired composition. It's just a shame that all the rest of Rob's stuff is so terrible (joke!). Actually, Rob's style and sound is one of my main inspirations on the stick, even if he can't handle a proper tuning!

Hello Ed, welcome and thanks for the nice comment.

Twizzle is right on... as I like to say (since One Cloud was the first thing I wrote on the Stick and seems to get the most response from people) "it's all downhill from here".

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Its not that One Cloud is best, I love the Jethro Tull stuff too, but it seems to have found itself spread around most of the net.

Anyway to business, as I mention in my UK Sticks for sale post in the classified section, I may possibly eventually be interested in an ironwood stick for sale. I don't know it's spec yet, but assuming it doesn't have the modern truss rod what problems does this imply? Greg refers people to adjusting their truss rod as the solution to every query they have...
And also as I'm expecting to not be conforming to standard or the normal MR tuning because of the need to reach a B equivelent to bottom of a 5 string bass for using with the band. (as I write this, I remember someone refering to me as a tuning fascist because I wanted to go straight to fourths all over some time ago :P )

Sorry for the long post... :?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:55 pm