It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am

Newbie on the board 

Post Newbie on the board
Evening all from Scotland.

On Sunday I was resigned to the unbelievably long wait for a new Stick.
Now it's Thursday and after a whirlwind 4 days I have made a noise (I won't say played) on my first Stick, courtesy of the most excellent Mr Curtis Abbott of this here establishment!

So I'm just saying "Hi" and warning that there's likely to be a lot of questions coming your way in the near future!

My name's Eddie McGlone and I live in the fair city of Glasgow.
I've been playing bass for over 30 years now and fancied a challenge to celebrate my 50th year on the planet this year. It was going to be a Ned Steinberger upright electric bass until during a Youtube browsing session, I got sidetracked onto a certain "One Cloud" video. This was just in December and now I've got one Stick in my hands and one on order!!
If only I could learn to play it as fast!

Anyway, that's it for now - I'm off for a last coffee and another bit of admiring my new possesion...obsession...possesion...

Cheers

Ed

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:48 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Newbie on the board
emg456 wrote:
Evening all from Scotland.

On Sunday I was resigned to the unbelievably long wait for a new Stick.
Now it's Thursday and after a whirlwind 4 days I have made a noise (I won't say played) on my first Stick, courtesy of the most excellent Mr Curtis Abbott of this here establishment!

So I'm just saying "Hi" and warning that there's likely to be a lot of questions coming your way in the near future!

My name's Eddie McGlone and I live in the fair city of Glasgow.
I've been playing bass for over 30 years now and fancied a challenge to celebrate my 50th year on the planet this year. It was going to be a Ned Steinberger upright electric bass until during a Youtube browsing session, I got sidetracked onto a certain "One Cloud" video. This was just in December and now I've got one Stick in my hands and one on order!!
If only I could learn to play it as fast!

Anyway, that's it for now - I'm off for a last coffee and another bit of admiring my new possesion...obsession...possesion...

Cheers

Ed

Welcome to the community Ed. We ALL have questions and all help each other. The Stick community is a wonderfully friendly place full of people all eager to help each other. And the questions you ask will help us all. So ask away!! And welcome to the "family!" :)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ah, the "One Cloud" effect. That has hooked many of us. I hope to meet Rob someday and say thanks. A very big welcome to you. I too am learning Stick in the later half of life and I'm loving it and wishing I'd started a bit earlier. We all like questions, the more the better!

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking forward to the kind of questions a 30 year bass player would ask. I trust I will learn from them.

Curtis

P.S. Ed, did I forget to mention minimum play time requirements for the PurpleHeart as a condition of sale? :lol:

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:51 pm

another newbie here as well...
I DID own an early 10-string about 15 years ago, and loved it, but had to sell it at a time when poor economics prevailed.
Now I have a brand new 12-string Grand and love it's feel and sound as well.
However, I'm also an ol' guitarist of 40 years who is looking forward to a new challenge, and if anyone is ever passing through San Diego, feel free to look me up and we'll jam!

Greg

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

siriusbliss wrote:
another newbie here as well...
I DID own an early 10-string about 15 years ago, and loved it, but had to sell it at a time when poor economics prevailed.
Now I have a brand new 12-string Grand and love it's feel and sound as well.
However, I'm also an ol' guitarist of 40 years who is looking forward to a new challenge, and if anyone is ever passing through San Diego, feel free to look me up and we'll jam!

Greg

Greg I believe Tom Griesbraber is from San Diego. His original music and abilities on the Stick are outstanding. I don't know if he has time to "jam" being a busy gigging/recording Stick player but he may still be a good person to try to contact? You never know, perhaps he'd be willing to give you a few lessons? You may have a wonderful Stick resource right in your own back yard! I'm sure you can get his contact information from his web site. Doesn't hurt to ask if you're interested!

ANYWHO ... good luck and welcome to the community!

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi Ed - Always glad to see someone older than me join!

One Cloud is my favourite stick piece, an inspired composition. It's just a shame that all the rest of Rob's stuff is so terrible (joke!). Actually, Rob's style and sound is one of my main inspirations on the stick, even if he can't handle a proper tuning!

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:02 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

twizzle wrote:

One Cloud is my favourite stick piece, an inspired composition. It's just a shame that all the rest of Rob's stuff is so terrible (joke!). Actually, Rob's style and sound is one of my main inspirations on the stick, even if he can't handle a proper tuning!

Can't handle a proper tuning ... hahaha :lol: Twizz you kill me! :D

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Quote:

There's always mental age... :)

And of course in the concept of Stick age, you're in much more advanced years.

Ed

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:55 am

Hi Ed, It does sound a bit like my story...
I've been playing bass for 23 years now and have been wanting a stick, actually ever since I first heard Tony Levin. (That is: since I found out he played a stick) about 1985 or so. But I finally took the decission. Now I'm waiting... perhaps next christmas...
I Live in Holland, close to Amsterdam wich is in fact not too far from Glasgow...
Expect some more questions from me too!
chears, Victor

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:20 am