It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

Guilty pleasures 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Guilty pleasures
Hey everyone .. it's been awhile since i wrote something here.. but i do have a topic of discussion..

when Listening to music.. i am predominately a Progressive rock/ Metal junkie.. with little dashes of jazz.. so my question is this..

Since people know what style of music u are most likely to like.. who or what is your guilty pleasure to listen to that is different than most...?

mine is Yanni

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Guilty pleasures
I suppose One persons guilty pleasure is anothers genius. With that in mind I guess setting up your likes is essential. I love a wide spectrum JAZZ from Metheny and Steve Coleman to Miles
and Tommy
Flanagan.

I also love modern classical and avant garde from zappa to stravinsky and beyond. For rock SOME prog, Tull, and anything bluesy with some heart as well as good pop.

So..... my guilty pleasure? .....Do the Shaggs count? or is that too close to avant-garde?

I wouldn't consider most "new age" as a guilty pleasure. Some of it it GREAT imho. Yanni I'm not sure about "pretentious" comes to mind
(the acropolis? really?)

Okay there are times when NOTHING is better than TOM JONES or THE CARPENTERS.

well there goes the little self respect I have

Brett :D

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

My usuals are predictable, Rush, YES, ELP, Weather Report, KCrim, anything that TGunn or TLevin do.

Quasi-unusual? TOOL, King's X, Presidents of the USA, PRIMUS anything else LClaypool and the husband and wife duo's Clatter and the Sawtelles.

Really out there? OM a bass and drums duo, Tuxedo Moon, Tom Waits.

Also in the mix are countless hours of New Age/Ambient "Hearts of Space being my favorite ambient radio show".
More than anything else Classic Radio Dramas. Does that even count?

Shedua, #2080, 10-String, Dual Bass Reciprocal, (medium guage 1-5, heavy guage 6-10), PAS-V 4, Silver and Black tuners, Paua inlays.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:27 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Man, what a topic.
Ok, here it is, I confess:

Spandau Ballet - True
Lulu - To sir w/...
The Smiths/TATU - How soon is now?
:-)

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Normally Fusion and Prog.

But there have been some times when I listened to a fair amount of Kylie Minogue, and even some early Brittney Spears.

Lately I have been listening to quite a bit of Enya.

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Enya-CD ... 122&sr=1-4

Lee

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:15 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldnt have become a musician without.... shall i say Duran Duran... white Lion... and Adam Ant

i know i lost my self respect too

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:54 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Wow - great topic!

I've played cover songs for a very long time and I've had fun doing it. It's fun to get together with friends and have some common ground to play together on. But the music - while it could be fun, wasn't really where I wanted to be. However over the years I have found others with similar tastes - even here on Stickist. I still play covers though not as much as before. So what do I listen to regain my musical composure?

I really enjoy listening to electronic and New Age music...Jean Michael Jarre, Tangerine Dream (contrary to most TD listeners I DO like a lot of the newer material - perhaps because it has the pop-music rhythmic feel to it??), Robert Schroeder, GENE, CUSCO, Mike Oldfield...and so many more. I'm still figuring out how to integrate Stick with this kind of music and it's a fun ride. The trick is not to get too repetitive with the parts

I've also started listening to and playing a little jazz - not the 'hardcore' stuff but I suppose you would say it's the more commercialized material? I find the Stick allows me to understand it better for whatever reason.

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pat Metheny and Wes Montgomery are my essentials.
Nine Inch Nails, Ministry and Bob Wills also appear on my audio list. Yawni does not.

SA

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

i know not everyone like Yanni.. heck not even Linda evans likes him anymore...but musically he is great.. more of a showman though...being influenced by Yanni.. helped me get into New age stylings... David arkenstone, Cusco, Mike Oldfield ( huge influence), 2002, and Vanessa mae...
Darren/ GNat

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:49 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

My likes are almost the same as Tyromancer. My guilty pleasures are blue eyed soul like Hall and Oats and bands like Tower of Power. And oh yeah ... solo Stick music!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery