It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Online Stick Lessons/Instruction... 

Post Re: Online Stick Lessons/Instruction...
EricTheGray wrote:
tritone wrote:
Only a fool would pay money for something that can be gained from a music theory book from the library and by looking at the stick and using some common fucking sense. But why think when you can be led by the hand, eh?

tritone

I make my living as a teacher of a body of knowledge that is hard and complicated (computer programming, but that's not relevant). The vast majority of my students are smart enough to teach themselves but they come to me anyway. And they are not fools. They come to my classes for many reasons. They are busy and need the structure of formal classes. They are confused by all the different technologies and don't know where to start. They are smart enough but lack enough self-confidence to do it on their own. Some have severe learning disabilities and need to hear things differently. I have spent a lot of time adapting my teaching and materials to all my students, including my blind ones.

I spent a decade studying with a master guitar teacher. There is no way I could have learned everything I learned from him with just books. He had actual real-life experience as a professional, just like I do with computers. Some of my students only need me to point them in the right direction and they do the rest. Some need me to sit with them every week and talk them through that hard parts. Some don't even come very often and do fine. But, everyone is different and everyone has a different learning style.

Tritone, I'm glad that you don't need teachers and help, but most people do. Calling us all fools does not help anyone and just alienates you from this new forum. I call on you to please acknowledge that not everyone is not like you and to please stop your insults. They are not welcome.

What is welcome are your ideas and challenges for people to be more independent. If you think a certain book would help me please give me a link and I'll check it out. If you think a concept would be helpful let me know what it is, just stop insulting my learning style.

Thanks,

-Eric

Said far better than I could have said.

My area of expertise is accounting and auditing, with current emphasis on governmental budgeting. Kinda dull for this site though. But if anyone is interested.....

[Followed by the sound of a vast empty room]

Had an ironwood Stick in the late 80s, but I sold it. (One of my two big regrets in life.)

Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:07 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well one of the aforementioned Stick info contributors is listening. I've been teaching music for 35 years (for fun and profit). I only hope some of the info I've offered on line, in my studio and in the release of my new book helps someone gain insight into playing this fabulous instrument. If the information given inspires, motivates or just clarifies matters for a student, the gratification is it's own reward. Learning from those who have experienced some of "the journey" is prudent in any matter of education.
Sometimes a tritone just won't resolve. This diminishes the progression.
Happy New Year to all.
Learn, grow, express yourself.

Steve Adelson

Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

robmartino wrote:
This is probably a blatantly obvious observation, but I'd say a healthy approach is to balance instruction of experienced players/teachers with your own initiative/application of musical ideas, with emphasis on the latter.

On one hand, because of my particular tuning, I'm often my own as far as developing a style and coming up with strategies for song arrangements. The primary influence on my Stick playing is not another Stick player but perhaps Ian Anderson (frontman of Jethro Tull) whose acoustic guitar techniques are a big part of my left hand Stick style. I'm not interested in sounding like Tony Levin or being in a King Crimson style band (even though I love those guys), having always had a passion for the more folky/pastoral/baroque side of English prog. :) As a developing musician, when I heard something I loved I wanted to know everything I could about it, and so I set out to assimilate my musical influences. In the past this involved the long and often difficult process of learning the bass, guitar, and/or keyboard parts of songs I love, or trying to figure out chord progressions by ear. Now I'm attempting to take a lot of these ideas, both in the music theory and instrument technique realms, and adapting them to the Stick and hopefully it becomes a more unique and personal style. It's enormously fun and rewarding.

On the other hand, if I hadn't had a couple lessons with Greg when I first got stared with my tuning, I would have easily developed some bad habits that limited my potential to make progress. By focusing on instrument position, using the whole body and not putting all the stress on the fingers (a common pitfall when starting), and having the opportunity to meet with him in person to go over technique fundamentals, it gave me a foundation for going off and being creative/productive with my "rogue" tuning. When it comes to technique fundamentals, video or personal meetings are much more beneficial than simply reading ideas from a book... you need to see it in action. And I think guys like Greg and Steve would be the first to advocate the idea of "enabling" players to pursue their music goals, not creating mindless clones of themselves.

Evening Rob.

Not gonna break down your post. Firstly cause it's too late and I'm being lazy and second because I like you. You actually make Jethro Tull listenable LOL j/k.

Most of the posts I've read here just reek of self importance. And the numerous reasons people have cited for their need of a musical teacher,(with the exception of people with actual disabilities) are just different forms and levels of laziness. In the end I could care less if you have a musical teacher. But to place such importance on these people and to place their pedestal so high... to propegate the idea that their teaching is vital for your accelerated growth and that their "life experiences" are gonna make you play your instrument better is just dishonest.

You're going to these teachers because you're unwilling to do what it takes to grow musically on your own and because you want to avoid as much adversity in learning an instrument as possible. When in truth, this adversity is so much more vital to your musical growth than anything any teacher would have to say.

Then again, maybe you don't care about musical growth. Maybe you just want to be able to play your favorite song you hear on the radio. If so feel free to ignore everything I say. Cause I'm not talking to you.

The prevalent attitude around here seems to be politeness before anything else. Well, that just isn't gonna happen here. So if thats how you feel you might as well hit the ignore button now. To whoever's left, if you wanna talk shop, throw up a thread or send me a pm and we'll talk shop.

Good luck to you.
Tritone

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:52 am

tritone wrote:

...But to place such importance on these people and to place their pedestal so high... to propegate the idea that their teaching is vital for your accelerated growth and that their "life experiences" are gonna make you play your instrument better is just dishonest.

Are there any other crooks on this forum, or is it just me that makes a little cash teaching guitar to kids? :roll:

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:24 am
Contributor
Contributor

Speaking of personal offline lessons...

If anyone qualified out there is passing through Springfield, MO and would like to take an hour or so break from your travels while offsetting the cost of your journey, by all means stop by.

I'll pay for a lesson. I live right off 65 Hwy that goes to Branson and just a bit off of I-44 stretching from Tulsa to St. Louis.

-Curtis

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:35 am
Contributor
Contributor

This is an amazing idea. Anybody could upload anything; you don't have to be an experienced teacher.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi all,

Since nothing is ever "one-size-fits-all," I think all of the various viewpoints about whether teaching is beneficial have validity, for someone.

For the sake of those who want to explore other people's ideas, I'd suggest if you have something you want to share that you vet your concepts before you present them to the general public as "a lesson."

This might be a good place for that. You could get feedback on your teaching from a group of interested and supportive people, who will probably be very candid and helpful in their feedback.

From my own perspective, I was a terrible student of music, and I wish I'd been a better one. I try to make up for that by being a responsive and interactive teacher, instead of being a preacher.

Unfortunately, the internet is full of hucksters and would-be gurus... So before you spend any time on a lesson from someone, check out their playing first. In the age of YouTube, that's easier than ever.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi All
Lots of "excitement" about what I see as a pretty good idea! Not sure how it would look but some sort of online lessons be they big small or just particular techniques couldn't hurt.
Everyone learns differently and is exposed to varying influence, musical or otherwise. Books work for some, not so well for others. Being exposed to other stick players is great in my opinion.
My two days with Bob Culbertson and a few others down here in Australia not long ago progressed my playing and inspired me massively, way beyond what I was getting from books.
There are not that many of us down here by the way, so that kind of interaction is valuable.
The internet can at least bridge those gaps and bring the sights , sounds and techniques to everyone interested, if they want to look.
worth thinking about..happy sticking in the meantime........

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

- Natural ability
- Desire and drive
- Hours spent...

...are things that make great players.
But even "they" have at some point watched, listened, imitated and found something to call their own through the wisdom of others. They have all been inspired by someone or some form of information at least once.
Some of them took a few beginning lessons from a guy in a local guitar store, others blitzed their way through a degree at a conservatorium of music because it was "the thing to do". But yes, even without that, they probably still would have become "great".

Many of the people on this forum would probably like to have a lot more time and freedom to play their Sticks. You could be harsh and say that it's all a matter of priorities, but I don't think that's a realistic point of view, even if it is true. So yes, we look for things to make the process more enjoyable and maybe even quicker, if a few pitfalls can be avoided.

If the information is there, at least you have a choice whether to take it or leave it.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I think we may need to look at music education and "stick" pedagogy in a couple of ways.
First off, there is a need for learning both technique and "theoretical understanding" on any instrument. In the case of technique a book is a poor teacher. You can read every discription of a good clarinet embouchure and still have no clue how to produce one. A knowledgeable teacher in this case is essential as both a model for the student and as an instructor to help the clarinetist to find the proper technique for producing the embouchure. The same can be said of any instrument including the stick. Stick seminars and lessons provide a great service by teaching proper techniques for the best sound production on the instrument. There is no substitute for this kind of one on one instruction.
As far as theoretical understanding goes, We all learn differently and there is no ONE way to play music. Most good teachers develop a method for instruction. There is rarely any Aural information within any method which cannot be found on your own. However, many many players benefit from the knowledge and insights of other more experienced players.
We all learn sequentially and methods are merely sequential theories for learning.
I have found some methods to be very powerful in my learning and others totally useless.
part of learning is of course self discovery (the most important part) but seeking knowledge is also important. a good student just has to find what works for them and go with it while keeping an open mind.
I would say one thing for tritones argument - don't take anyones method as gospel, keep asking questions and keep searching for deeper musical understanding through hard work and open ears. But, also check out methods. they can really open concepts which may lead to quicker and deeper understanding.

Brett

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next