It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:27 pm

Online Stick Lessons/Instruction... 

Post Re: Online Stick Lessons/Instruction...
Try to get along, fellas, lol. There are many different ways to learn, many levels of talent. These forums explore possibilites - cheaply. What if there was an off-site, linked from stickist.com too, that had video links? You read a short bio on the instructor, what this lesson covers, pay your $5 or whatever, and save the thing. Instuctors get a passive stream of income from each lesson they 'tape' - you get a lesson you can watch anytime you want. Copywright the lessons, agree to not re-sell, pretty soon you're not a bad player, 'cause you've 'seen' the lesson. I'm new to tapping, so pardon my enthusiasm, but these forums contribute greatly to cutting through the shyte and get some anwers from those who do already. And as a seasoned player, I think I would gladly show some tips & tricks and shave some of that hair on the learning curve for new players. Stickists are unique and obviously passionate, where else can we all - from anywhere on the globe - communicate and share? I say go for it - keep the suggestions coming!

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:13 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting post here by Kris... (I have installed the product. Thanks Kris)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99
________
I thought that this might be of some interest to folks here who may want to collaborate online, as well as to someone like Greg who (fingers crossed) might want to explore a new way of giving online lessons.

Recently I was talking to a friend of mine who is a professional guitarist in the UK. We always communicate via iChat, Apple's instant messaging text/audio/video application. I had been asking him for some online lessons, but short of playing through an amp aimed at the computer mic and hollering over what he was playing, we couldn't sort out a way to cleanly, effectively make this happen. There was no way to route the sound from one application into iChat within the Mac.

Yesterday I happened upon a utility that would route the output of any audio app and let it appear as an input for any other audio app. It's called Soundflower, and I'll add a link at the end. So what I did was set up a small mixer with my guitar on one channel and a mic on the other. I panned the channels hard left & right and ran a stereo cable into the input of my PowerBook. If you're using another interface, i.e. Firewire or USB, the routing utility will work the same for those, I've tried it. I opened GarageBand (Apples low-end DAW) and brought the two channels into it, and processed them to taste. Then I went into GB's preferences and chose it's output as Soundflower. I opened up iChat (and this will work in AOL Instant Messenger, Microsoft Messenger & Yahoo Messenger) and chose it's input also as Soundflower. Voila! When I set up a conversation with my friend this morning, I could talk to him and play guitar directly into iChat, and he the same on his end, and it was all clean and clear, with no detectable latency.

What I was thinking was that this would be a wonderful way for Greg, or other teachers, to give online lessons to students who just live too far away for a visit. It's also a way to just communicate and share ideas with other players.

Just thought I'd share, and feel free to email me if I can help you get set up or answer any questions. That goes especially for you Mr. Howard =)

Kris

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:27 am
Contributor
Contributor

That Soundflower application sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out when I get my Mac.

The only thing I'm gonna add just because some of the really good guys might be embarassed to is that we all need to keep in mind that these guys get paid for lessons. If lessons are your main source of income, it seems to me that one may not be so akin to throw out free lessons.

I'd love some though. :mrgreen:

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:43 am
Contributor
Contributor

Online does not have to mean free. Good point.

-Curtis

Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:05 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hang in there guys. I have something brewing.

SA

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Hang in there guys. I have something brewing.

SA

I'm curious...

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:26 am