It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 am

Classic vs. Baritone melody on a 10 string 

Post Classic vs. Baritone melody on a 10 string
I played Baritone Melody for almost 12 years (I mostly played the "bass" or "keyboard" role when I would play in a group setting). I started playing more "guitar" parts when I started playing with the jazz group I've been jamming with. The main reason for the switch back to standard was to get up into the higher register for solos (at the request of the other band members), but I'm finding as I get readjusted to the standard tuning I'm REALLY missing that bottom C# on the melody side when I'm comping. I also find myself rarely taking advantage of the extra top range.
I'm considering going back to Baritone Melody but I wanted to check and see if there was
an option that I hadn't considered (Like a 6-4 split?) -OR- can somebody give me a compelling argument as to the advantage of staying with the standard tuning?

Wed May 19, 2010 10:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Classic vs. Baritone melody on a 10 string
Maybe 12 strings will do the trick? And you can always go for a 5/7 split... Just an idea.

Cheers, Daniel.

Wed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

When I play the high D string, notes often get confused for harmonics. There's just a certain ring to it. At first it bothered me a bit; this high string that seems almost "detached" from the rest of the instrument in terms of pitch and tension. These days I can't even drop a whole tone to MR without missing it. I also like to slide octaves on the high strings over bass notes, and play barred "funk chords" in 4ths which just sound better to me in the higher register. But it all depends on what you play & what to hear from the instrument. Maybe 12 is the next step?

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

"When I play the high D string, notes often get confused for harmonics"

Funny you should just mention this. I was working on a tune a few minutes ago with a EbM7. I was playing the Eb and the high D and it just didn't sound right. I dropped the D and added the G. Oh well............
As a beginner, I spent way too much time pondering on this. :?

10 string (stickup)

Wed May 19, 2010 5:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I think the Baritone melody will serve you better.

I switched to Baritone Melody on my 10 on Greg's suggestion, and never looked back. Plus, going to 6+6 classic grand was a natural.

I agree with the above knowledgeable authors ( you know who you are) on the "high" 1st string in classic , an 007 is only meant for someone who likes their martinis shaken, not stirred.

I found the sound to be fuller and sexier, esp with comping chords. and for solos, use Greg's techniques of the "slide", and the "creep" tm to extend into the higher notes. Really, unless you are playing for a PETA convention, only dogs are going to hear those really high ones! :D

dave brosky - 10 string White Polycarb ( Baritone melody); Bamboo Grand 6+6

Wed May 19, 2010 7:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

"I agree with the above knowledgeable authors ( you know who you are)."

oh....I guess I didn't hear it then...sorry :roll:

10 string (stickup)

Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 pm

I like the sound of the low string on baritone melody more than I did the high string in classic and I'll still have it if I ever get a Grand Stick .

Wed May 19, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

dbrosky wrote:
Really, unless you are playing for a PETA convention, only dogs are going to hear those really high ones! :D

FYI my dog and I both enjoy those high notes.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi,

Yes, a 12-String with Classic-Tuning would do the "Trick". It has both. On the Melody-Side: The Bariton Low String and the Standart 10-String high String. Plus another /higher String on the Bass-Side which is nice for more Chords in the Left-Hand without shifting.

I have both, 10- and 12-String and I whanted to keep the 10-String Original. Having said this: If I only had a 10-String, I would switch to Bariton-Tuning.

Just my 2 cents - Do what ever makes you feel good.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I really think the BM tuning is the very best 10-string tuning. There is a nice full uniformity to it all that just works for me. My very first 10-string was tuned classic and once I started using it with the band, it only took a couple of rehearsals to push me to make the switch to BM.

With that though, I would agree with anyone who says the best of both worlds is to trade up to a Classic tuned Grand. In addition to getting the entire range, you also then have options with those high notes everyone's been talking about. I frequently make decisions on those notes based on the timbre I'm after. Plus you still get the benefit of Greg's books written for BM tuned 10-string ;)

Obviously the switch to a Grand is easier said than done. So if it were me, I'd stay with BM. Listen to some Cides records and you might change your mind though.

Thu May 20, 2010 7:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery