It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Chapman Stick Modifications 
Post Re: Chapman Stick Modifications
on that note - some dude who's not real into picking up chicks (or at least for the purpose of meeting/dating!):

http://failblog.org/2010/08/06/epic-fai ... plate-win/

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Randy wrote:
on that note - some dude who's not real into picking up chicks (or at least for the purpose of meeting/dating!):

http://failblog.org/2010/08/06/epic-fai ... plate-win/

Thanks for that! I need the laugh today!

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:12 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Randy wrote:
ehh - wasn't really what I was looking for. I thought playing in straight 4ths would be easy but i was having a hard time getting a bass groove going. Inverted 4ths was easier, but then I started missing the chordal component of inverted 5ths.

I guess I found the 5ths/4ths the best after all. I went through 3 different tuning set ups and wound up back where I started!

Same thing happened to me when i tried mirrored 4ths. I realized the reason for 5ths/4ths. The only thing i do different now is play in matched reciprocal, cause i instantly have half the neck memorized from 8+ years of guitar playing, and 1.5 years of teaching it. lol

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

metalken wrote:
Randy wrote:
ehh - wasn't really what I was looking for. I thought playing in straight 4ths would be easy but i was having a hard time getting a bass groove going. Inverted 4ths was easier, but then I started missing the chordal component of inverted 5ths.

I guess I found the 5ths/4ths the best after all. I went through 3 different tuning set ups and wound up back where I started!

Same thing happened to me when i tried mirrored 4ths. I realized the reason for 5ths/4ths. The only thing i do different now is play in matched reciprocal, cause i instantly have half the neck memorized from 8+ years of guitar playing, and 1.5 years of teaching it. lol

This might go without saying at this point (as it's been said before!), but flexible chordal accompaniment in inverted 4ths is going to work the best with 6 bass strings and a somewhat higher register (but still comfortably in the bass range). To go this direction, one cannot get seduced by the tempting growl of a low B. ;)

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Captain,

You can switch the tuners back if you want; the fat bass strings will work on melody-side tuners if you strip the wound layer from the string at the end.
Cut the string an inch longer than you would normally, and use pliers to pull the winding away from the last 1/2 inch, exposing the core. Cut off the surplus winding and thread the core through the tuner. You will want to have the string wound a couple of times around the post at full tension so that there is no tension where the core meets the tuner, or it will snap when you tighten it. I do this to have 7 bass strings on my SG.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

robmartino wrote:
This might go without saying at this point (as it's been said before!), but flexible chordal accompaniment in inverted 4ths is going to work the best with 6 bass strings and a somewhat higher register (but still comfortably in the bass range). To go this direction, one cannot get seduced by the tempting growl of a low B. ;)

It wasn't really the chord range i was after, it was familiarity. But since it was mirrored, that didn't work, either. :lol: I also found out i really liked the way 5ths spread out the intervals over the strings for regular chord more than i thought i would.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

mad_monk wrote:
You can switch the tuners back if you want; the fat bass strings will work on melody-side tuners if you strip the wound layer from the string at the end.
I suppose an easier solution would be to contact Stick Enterprises: they make left-handed Sticks as well, so they must have tuners that will work for bass strings on either side.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I really appreciate everyones input. This is exactly why I put this post up. I wanted to absorb some of the knowledge out there from so many GREAT stickist.

For me it feels more natural having the stick more horizontal with the bass strings on the opposite side. I find myself having more fun when I practice and practicing more often.

I'm not opposed at all to switching the instrument back to it's original set up of reciprocal 4ths one day. Perhaps when I become more familiar with the stick and get a little better.

Thank you all again.

P.S. I don't mind being ripped on at all. It's all part of the fun of music.

P.S.S. How'd you get a picture of my licence plate? lol :lol:

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:51 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ComplexI wrote:
For me it feels more natural having the stick more horizontal with the bass strings on the opposite side. I find myself having more fun when I practice and practicing more often.
With all due respect ... of course it feels more natural. One of the common misconceptions of the Stick is that it is some kind of guitar or bass on steroids. Of course you can treat it that way and some people have done quite well doing exactly that. But I had always said that to discover what the Stick is all about, the baggage of guitar and/or bass needs to be shed and the Stick needs to be treated as if you're taking up something brand new.

Look at this way, if you'd decided to take up the cello and after a month, put a strap on it, turned it horizontal, and put frets every half step, that would feel more natural as well.

Please don't take any of this as a knock on what you've done. We all have our motivations and the desire to stay in the "comfort zone" has led some fine musicians to choosing the more hybrid kind of instruments like the NS or even some of Emmett's so called competitors. But I would agree with those who have stated that a month is no where near enough time to adequately get a feel for the Stick and it's playing method.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
ComplexI wrote:
I thought about reaming out the whole a little wider, but was terrified that the metal would be too thin and it would snap. How did you do it?

BTW. Th video is a mirror image

I just used a metal drill bit.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:03 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next