It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 am

Does the "Stick" wood make a difference 

Post Does the "Stick" wood make a difference
I realize this is an instrument based on the pickups primarily but was curious if the type of wood used in the Stick affects the tone in some way as to want one wood over another?
Thanks Wyndham

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Does the "Stick" wood make a difference
You will get an alternate opinion I'm sure.
I've had experience with many, many Sticks, including purpleheart, maple, rosewood, padauk, even bamboo. I don't hear any difference in tone.

There is a difference in feel, however. Some seem more "silky" to the touch.

And importantly the visual, not only aesthetically, but what the player views is a big variable. Depending on the lighting, be it room, sun or stage spotlights, different woods will appeal to each player as they navigate the fingerboard.

Aside--my half fretless has a lengthwise plate of stainless steel and reflects bright lights causing a cool effect.

SA

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks Lee, that's sorta what I gathered but thought it was worth asking.
I see your point on the visual. I'm hoping someone will be playing nearby in NC sometime in the next yr so I can see the Stick in person. I was kidding with my wife about driving over to the Carlsbad concert.....5 days from here. HA!
Wyndham

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:48 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I'd agree, there is so little difference between woods, it's really more about the look and the feel. My next Stick will be wenge, for sure, I *love* the look and the texture of it! I'm sure I've said this before, but even when comparing the tone of my graphite Stick to Bizon's rosewood Stick, with same PASV-4 pickup, there's really not much difference. The graphite has a slightly deeper bass response and slightly flatter tone, but the wood has a slightly sweeter top-end.

EG

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:56 am