It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 What *kind* of instrument is the Stick? 

What's a good generic name for the Stick and similar instruments?
tap guitar 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
taptar 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
tiptar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
tapstring 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
tapstring instrument 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
fretboard tapping instrument 34%  34%  [ 14 ]
string-tapping instrument 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
chordaphone 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
chapophone 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
tapboard 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
tapper 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
other (please post!) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 41

What *kind* of instrument is the Stick? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: What *kind* of instrument is the Stick?
I agree with Greg, this is not a fretless. Having played a fretless Stick, albeit on the bass side, the initial sound produced on a fretlass tap and the waiver of the note is very obvious. I don't hear this in Dave's playing. Also you can see his frets in the video and his fingerings, although not always directly on those fret lines are always in tune, therefore more evidence of fret presence.
As a side comment, the half-fretless Stick I use most of the time, has just an incredible sound. Warm, articulate and expressive. Big thanks to Emmett for building a great instrument that works best for my style of playing

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post What *kind* of instrument is the Stick?
Ok, not a fretless. Thank you for chiming in to sort that out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

As I think about this again, chordophones come in four basic varieties.

1. Plucked (like guitars etc.)
2. Bowed (viols etc.)
3. Hammered (like piano or hammer dulcimer)
4. Tapped (like Chapman Stick, Harpejji, Duo-Lectar, etc.)

A fifth category could exist but does not as far as I know. Electro-Magnetic/Mechanical-This would be an instrument designed to have sound initiated by electronic (magnetic or mechanical). Imagine a chordophone with a permanent E-Bow like device for every string.

Perhaps it is obvious but it seems all chordophones can be used in ways in which they were not intended. Tapping a guitar, plucking a violin, plucking a piano, bowing a Stick (like instrument).

[and there it is again, the Stick trade name slips right into being a generic name for tapping chordophones- ---"what kind of Coke do you want?" "I'll take a Sprite." :lol: ]

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

jeffcomas wrote:
A fifth category could exist but does not as far as I know. Electro-Magnetic/Mechanical-This would be an instrument designed to have sound initiated by electronic (magnetic or mechanical). Imagine a chordophone with a permanent E-Bow like device for every string.

Perhaps it is obvious but it seems all chordophones can be used in ways in which they were not intended. Tapping a guitar, plucking a violin, plucking a piano, bowing a Stick (like instrument).

That fifth category shows up in a broader form in some taxonomy charts simply as "electronic instruments," but I honestly haven't much cared for any such category I've seen thus far, as they seem to lump everything that happens to have an electronic pickup together, irregardless of how it's played.

I'm still sitting on the fence. I still think "tapping chordophone" is quite accurate from a taxonomical standpoint, but it doesn't pass Dan's test for brevity (as I agree it should, to be used in normal parlance). Emmett himself mentioned "tapper" at one point, which I can see myself using even for the NS...

...except, on the NS, I use so many different techniques, "tapper" turns out to be not quite so accurate. In another forum it would be classified as an ERB (Extended Range Bass), which works for me, because I consider myself first and foremost a bassist--unless I'm comping guitar chords or playing lead lines, in which case "Guitar/Bass" (as it's officially subtitled) becomes more accurate.

But what kind of slippery slope do we set foot upon when we try to define an instrument by playing technique? ...Especially where, as Jeff points out, such techniques could be quite varied (really the point of my example in the previous paragraph--see I *was* going somewhere with that! ;) )

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Wed May 04, 2011 10:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

OMG ,blah ,blah, It's the instrument we play.
"Somebody's had too much to think" Don Van Vliet.

Just saying.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Wed May 04, 2011 11:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

"[and there it is again, the Stick trade name slips right into being a generic name for tapping chordophones- ---"what kind of Coke do you want?" "I'll take a Sprite."]

Let's not overload the subject with loaded language. Who calls soft drinks "Cokes"? And how do you get a generic name from "Stick"? It's a trademark for a particular stringed instrument I make. Also, why are we harping on "chordophones"? Sounds like intellectual puffery. As a teen, I had a hard enough time with "accordion" as the name for my chordophone. Academic types have no monopoly on the English language and not much claim to it either.

Back to basics, Emmett.

Thu May 05, 2011 12:21 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

BSharp wrote:
"Also, why are we harping on "chordophones"? Sounds like intellectual puffery. As a teen, I had a hard enough time with "accordion" as the name for my chordophone. Academic types have no monopoly on the English language and not much claim to it either.

Back to basics, Emmett.

Sorry Emmett - no "puffery" intended, but the OP asked about musical classification, which, when part of your audience is "academic types," you're bound to end up having these long protracted debates that makes Rob (and some others, not without justification) roll their eyes. :lol: Hey, some of us are just that geeky, what can I say? Some of just like order and being able to put things neatly in boxes. Just don't look at my sock drawer! :oops:

But, you're last comment will be the most important. In the end, even if somebody agrees with "tapping chordophone" or similarly scientific/academic/high-and-mighty sounding moniker, what the general public uses and accepts in general parlance will be...what the name will be.

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Thu May 05, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

zaubertuba wrote:
But what kind of slippery slope do we set foot upon when we try to define an instrument by playing technique?

you mean like.....drumming

Ben Dare

Thu May 05, 2011 12:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

BSharp wrote:
Who calls soft drinks "Cokes"?

It might be a regional thing, but over, people do that all the time.

Thu May 05, 2011 3:52 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Lemme have one of those orange cokes right now. No, I'll just have a green one.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next