It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 What *kind* of instrument is the Stick? 

What's a good generic name for the Stick and similar instruments?
tap guitar 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
taptar 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
tiptar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
tapstring 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
tapstring instrument 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
fretboard tapping instrument 34%  34%  [ 14 ]
string-tapping instrument 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
chordaphone 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
chapophone 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
tapboard 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
tapper 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
other (please post!) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 41

What *kind* of instrument is the Stick? 

Post What *kind* of instrument is the Stick?
In the future, when tapping instruments have been around for let's say 200 years, what will historians call them as a general type? For instance, in the guitar category there are lutes, mandolins, electric guitars, classical acoustic guitars, etc. what is the generally accepted name for instruments like the Stick, Warr Guitar, Megatar, Box Guitar, etc.? "Tapping instrument" is a mouthful. Someone long ago suggested "Tiptar," which, well... I guess we'll see if it catches on, but I don't particularly like it. I think it would be nice to have a name, though. Like, the Chapman Stick is a brand of _______, a type of guitar instrument played by yadda yadda yadda. Any suggestions?

Last edited by CrumbledFingers on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: What *kind* of instrument is the Stick?
I suppose it could be actually classified as a percussion instrument, along the same logic that a piano is so classified...but the variety of techniques used on these instruments might make such a "pat" classification somewhat difficult.

Should be an interesting thread.... ;)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I always classed it as a "Polyphonic guitar". :lol:

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Chapman Stick: Taxonomy

There are many classes within the phylum Musicaeinstrumentum. Although there was some controversy over the placement of the chapman stick, it is currently placed in the class Ligamendies. Some researchers still believe the stick should be placed in the class Impingoides. New research using DNA hybridization techniques is needed. The similarities to Impingoides have not gone unnoticed, and so the stick resides in the order Impingoligamends. This order also contains other difficult to classify species such as the Pianoforte. Sticks and other tapping guitar type instruments make up the family Tactussonitus. There are several genera inside this family, two of note are Chapmanus, and the closely related Stienbergerus. Although the members of these genera are physically distinct, some researchers have suggested all members belong to the genus Chapmanus. Within the genus Chapmanus exist several species. The genus includes the species decemligamen, grandis, mugio, decemgrandis, altus and dudecimaltus. Chapmanus decemligamen appears to be the oldest species, possessing the greatest genetic variation and number of subspecies. However, new subspecies are still being discovered.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

varnon wrote:
Chapman Stick: Taxonomy

There are many classes within the phylum Musicaeinstrumentum. Although there was some controversy over the placement of the chapman stick, it is currently placed in the class Ligamendies. Some researchers still believe the stick should be placed in the class Impingoides. New research using DNA hybridization techniques is needed. The similarities to Impingoides have not gone unnoticed, and so the stick resides in the order Impingoligamends. This order also contains other difficult to classify species such as the Pianoforte. Sticks and other tapping guitar type instruments make up the family Tactussonitus. There are several genera inside this family, two of note are Chapmanus, and the closely related Stienbergerus. Although the members of these genera are physically distinct, some researchers have suggested all members belong to the genus Chapmanus. Within the genus Chapmanus exist several species. The genus includes the species decemligamen, grandis, mugio, decemgrandis, altus and dudecimaltus. Chapmanus decemligamen appears to be the oldest species, possessing the greatest genetic variation and number of subspecies. However, new subspecies are still being discovered.
Truly hilarious, Varnon,

Especially dudecimaltus

Sticks are specialized guitars. Emmett calls them "fretboard tapping instruments" as a generic name (FTI for short). The shortest full name I've ever seen that works is "tapper".

Touchboard is one of Emmett's trademarks, so that doesn't work on a generic level. (I've never been down with the whole "touching" thing anyway)

How about "sonic surf board" ?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

CrumbledFingers wrote:
In the future, when tapping instruments have been around for let's say 200 years, what will historians call them as a general type? For instance, in the guitar category there are lutes, mandolins, electric guitars, classical acoustic guitars, etc. what is the generally accepted name for instruments like the Stick, Warr Guitar, Megatar, Box Guitar, etc.? "Tapping instrument" is a mouthful. Someone long ago suggested "Tiptar," which, well... I guess we'll see if it catches on, but I don't particularly like it. I think it would be nice to have a name, though. Like, the Chapman Stick is a brand of _______, a type of guitar instrument played by yadda yadda yadda. Any suggestions?

The Chapman stick is definitely a chordaphone. Meaning it uses a tensioned vibrating chord (as in a string, rope, or wire) to create sound.

There are basically five types of musical instruments, chordophones, aerophones, membranophones, idiophones, and electraphones.

To produce sound:
Chordophones are as described above

Aerophones use a column of vibrating air (a clarinet, a pipe organ, a human voice)

Membranophones use a stretched membrane (drums, a kazoo)

Idiophones are an object that is caused to vibrate, usually caused by some sort of impact (xylophone, bells, shakers), friction (glass armonica, http://library.thinkquest.org/22254/armonica.htm, washboard), or plucking action (thumb piano)

Electraphones use an electronically produced oscillation (a Hammond organ, a Theremin, synthesizers)

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Last edited by jeffcomas on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

So is a 'tapas bar' a place where Stickists congregate?

Sorry...

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:16 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

maxr wrote:

Sorry...

That would be where "Stikista's" go. :D

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

jeffcomas wrote:
maxr wrote:

Sorry...

That would be where "Stikista's" go. :D

...to drink tapenade?

Max

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:13 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ouch! That would be a hellish drink considering that tapenade is made up of black olives, capers and anchovies.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next