It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:43 pm

Rosewood or Wenge? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Rosewood or Wenge?
So I've been good. I practice all the time, compose, record, gig. I concentrate on the music more than the GAS.

But, it's been a few years and I am getting the itch for a new stick (sorry, that sounds naughty).

So I know I need a Passive 4 Grand, linear markers and Heavy Gauge strings (if there were XXXHEAVY I would get those I love heavy gauge).

My biggest choice is wood. I have 2 tarara's so I need a darker wood. Does anyone have a preference with rosewood or Wenge. Does one wood have a more "finished/smooth" feel to it?
Is one more "grainy". Are either better suited for heavy gauge strings?

I've been playin 10 years so I don't need the basic advice( just look for contrast, they are all great) I'm lookin for personal irrational bias!!!!!!

All thoughts are welcome.

Brett

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Rosewood or Wenge?
I can't really comment re the stick woods, but I've also got a Paduak Soloette Dragonfly, and the wood is a really deep red , with a deep grain - I reckon it would look good on a stick -

Maybe it's what I'll get when I get an SG12.....

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have just recently order my first Stick and it is Rosewood. No real reason for picking it, other that it was pretty... to me at least.

This leads me to a question....
Is there a typical weight for a Stick or does it have a range because of material it is made from?

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

JHammondC wrote:
Is there a typical weight for a Stick or does it have a range because of material it is made from?
I learned from another thread that the lightest material is bamboo. I too think that Rosewood is beautiful but I chose bamboo for both my sticks for the light weight. The type of wood used is said to not affect the sound of the instrument.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Does anyone have a preference with rosewood or Wenge. Does one wood have a more "finished/smooth" feel to it?
Is one more "grainy".
I never had the pleasure of trying a wenge Stick, but I do own a bass with a wenge neck: compared to rosewood it is rather open and grainy, which I love!
I did try a rosewood Stick and it was very smooth to the touch.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

jpow112 wrote:
I can't really comment re the stick woods, but I've also got a Paduak Soloette Dragonfly, and the wood is a really deep red , with a deep grain - I reckon it would look good on a stick -

Maybe it's what I'll get when I get an SG12.....

I have a paduak Grand. BEAUTIFUL instrument. The feel is smooth under the hands, and while it's fairly heavy compared to my old oak 10 string, being on a belt hook, it doesnt matter.

If you want a dark wood stick , I'd recommend it.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I would recommend going to a few local guitar stores and check out the rosewood and wenge models (be more variety in the acoustic guitars I would think) and see which you prefer.

I have a Paduak - and it is some of the prettiest wood I have seen. Dark coloring to light - smooth as silk (but not 'glassy')- absolutely love it. I would like my next one to be a Paduak as well.

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:44 am
Contributor
Contributor

Rosewood is beautiful stuff - almost oily to the touch , smooth, solid, and characterful, it even smells good (made a few guitars years ago, and rosewood is definitely the best smelling wood - cedar smells pretty good, but cedar dust is nasty irritting stuff). Rosewood is at the Gentleman's Club end of instrument wood (think antique travelling escrtoires with brass bound corners), but it can be heavy. Might be an idea to check out the heft of a rosewood Stick if you can - mind you, it probably won't be any heavier than my old polycarbonate?

Out of interest - Brett, what is it you particularly like about heavy guage strings? I'm just a beginner on Stick, and my old polycarbonate has to have Light strings as there's no truss rod. However, I have an upgrade in mind in a year or so. Picked instruments with magnetic pickups can sound great with heavy guage strings, if only the player can handle them (think I read Dick Dale uses a 13 as the top string on his Strat?). However, does it not make string bending a bit physical, or does your style of playing not require a lot of that? Also, can you get the action down real low with less rattle using high tension strings and still have a punchy sound?

Max

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Rosewood and wenge are pretty close cousins. I have two SG-12s, one of them being wenge. I don't have a rosewood Stick, but I've played two of them that belonged to other players. The wenge can be darker than rosewood, though mine is about the same. The biggest difference is the grain. The rosewood is brown with broad strokes of black, the wenge is brown with tight "pinstripes" of black, sort of like zebrawood's grain pattern. The wenge is on the heavy side, to be sure. My wenge SG feels about like a long-scale Stick in the weight department. My bamboo SG feels at least a pound lighter, maybe more.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the responses. I will decide which wood soon. Unless my house sale goes through, then my money will be too tied up.

As for why I like heavy gauge. It just feels right to me. Many more difficult 4 fingered lines I find easier on the heavier strings. I like the feel. And I do bend, but not as much as many other players.

Brett

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery