It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Quit Whining and Just Play! 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Quit Whining and Just Play!
yeah,yeah. read Dave (and Emmett) again. someone got to remind you cats what it's all about.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thank you, AnDroiD, for bumping this thread and thank you, dbrosky, for starting it! A tremendously inspirational read.

I come from bass guitar. I'm a total Stick n00b. I had been trying to learn to play my band's bass lines on my DBR Stick. I realize this is a profound error. I should be re-imagining the bass presence within the context of my band's repertoire (while not annoying my bandmates if possible. :) )

The Stick is magical. Every day I discover a new dimension. Then I get frustrated and depressed that it's too deep and I have no hand independence and I will never be able to play this thing. Then I listen to one of Greg's CDs. And I pick up my Stick and I realize that I can play something today which I couldn't play yesterday.

THANK YOU, STICKISTS!

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

hey unpronouncable name w the bass clef yin/yang (very cool by the way, where can i get THAT ona tshirt) i go thru the same shit every day. one moment thinking i suck the next tickled pink w what i couldnt do yesterday. keep at it, bro, yer playin the coolest instrument in the WORLD. i play DBR, got rid of my basses (well, i just found out my sister had my 8string fretless in her basement) (ripped the frets out w a claw hammer). i tell everyone i am a STICKIST. and keep playin those bass lines on the Stick. im workin on The Fish (Squire) harmonics and all. talk about a workout. but it's FUN and it makes me giggle...

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@ AnDroid… I too got rid of my basses as well. Playing bass for over 45 years, I finally realized that I had to fully commit to the instrument (Stick) and quit using it as "second fiddle". It has forced me into wonderful new creative territory, and while I miss having a bass at times. the joy from playing the Stick continues to enliven me every day.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
@ AnDroid… I too got rid of my basses as well. Playing bass for over 45 years, I finally realized that I had to fully commit to the instrument (Stick) and quit using it as "second fiddle". It has forced me into wonderful new creative territory, and while I miss having a bass at times. the joy from playing the Stick continues to enliven me every day.
Ah, the big step... for me it was putting away my keys and sax and unplugging all my effects. Then I really learned how to play. Not suggesting this is the best for everyone, but I really needed to focus...

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Android...
I think the moniker is hedgehog.....may be wrong though.....

k

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yep! ;)

And, as with anything of use to mankind in the 21st century, I found the yin/yang bass clef image in the Internet!

Thanks folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Railboard #6594 BM

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wish I was brave enough to give up my basses and just concentrate on my Stick. I still play twice a month in the local area with a covers band, and haven't yet had the desire to re-work all the material for Stick rather than bass. These gigs are the only time my bassse see the light of day now, every bit of practice time I have I spend on improving my Stick playing.
I still really enjoy these gigs, although the better I get on the Stick, the more I think I should retire my basses altogether.

-Marc-

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Numbersix, I'd love to hear of your adventures transitioning to Stick with your band. I'm prolly going to do it in the next few months with my band. We play originals so is that easier?

Good luck!

-Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Railboard #6594 BM

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:31 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jonathan, not sure if adapting originals or covers is easier, guess they both
have their own set of issues to overcome.
We do a lot of different genres of music, from pop, rock, blues, a bit of heavier rock as well as some soul influenced music. I'm really comfortable with what I'm doing on the bass for all of them, trying to adapt all of my basslines to Stick seems too hard at the moment, I think I need to get more comfortable with the instrument first.
Hopefully it won't be too long as I tell everyone new I meet that I play the Stick, never mentioning the bass - can't wait to show up at that first gig with just the Stick for company!

Good luck with your transition :D

-Marc-

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next