It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Quit Whining and Just Play! 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Quit Whining and Just Play!
Tony Levin showed up at the first Peter Gabriel solo project w the Stick, the producer said, "Dont even take it out of the case." next album, same producer, "Did you bring the Stick with you?" true story. once you hear the Stick...guys, im not sayin give up yer other instrument(s). for me, (lazy), and no "real" (paying) gigs, (and no funds and need of an amplifier), the decision was easy. i WANTED that bass sound, and i WANTED to explore more compositional and chordal areas than the regular bass and mucking about on a keyboard allowed. now, mind you, i hadta sell a custom Pedulla fretless 5-string (tuned high C) for that amp. and of course there's the tale of the recent removal of the frets on the Ironwood, but that's explained in another thread...SHUT UP AND PLAY YOUR STICK. (bogus Zappa reference)

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

there was a short time when i started thinking i might want to go with mirrorred 4ths because, since my instrument of choice for the last 30 or so years was bass ,and i wanted to be more fluid on the bass side of my stick . but on another day i happened on a cool fingering to one of my favorite fleetwood mac songs just a simple bass fill ; i tried to play it how i saw that it should be played but i really had to jump around the neck to play it , then suddenlyi just played it in a new boxed form and it really came alive i had never thought to play it that way but it sounded really cool! at that point i realized that my difficulty had to do with my mindset or attitude. what is so great about the stick really is the discovery , and frankly the new OPPOURTUNITIES! that you now have to play chords and note combinations that you never would be able to play without the ingenious fifths tuning i love being able to bar a fifth and do sweet chord inversions the way i would never be able to do with 4ths tuning . the key to making the stick work is to embrace it as a "real instrument" in it's own right not a bass not a guitar not a piano and yet it can fulfill all those roles and more in a song , the key is to free your mind from the preconceived notions its all about making music i dont know why people dont just play basslines like they play cords its really all about the way we think . We limit ourselves

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

h3dg3h0g wrote:
Numbersix, I'd love to hear of your adventures transitioning to Stick with your band. I'm prolly going to do it in the next few months with my band. We play originals so is that easier?

Good luck!

-Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, so sad! :roll: I brought my Stick to band practice last night and my band leader did like Peter Gabriel's producer (thanks AnDroiD for that entertaining anecdote!) - he was nicer about it but he would have been happier if I hadn't opened the case. We discussed it and it turned out he liked neither the versatility nor the sound of the Stick in a band context.

Such a shame! I mean, I can barely play the Stick yet, but still!

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:14 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

hedgehog: find another band/start another band. i have musician friends that want ME and the STICK. no one and nothing else will do. leave simple minds with simple bands. "Go forth and multiply, My Children." (made-up Emmett quote)

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I would think being in a cover band would be more difficult on the Stick. Generally speaking, a cover band's audience just wants to hear the cover song the way it was originally played, so you'd basically be trying to reproduce the bass parts. And the Stick has a different sound than a bass, and just the approach to playing bass lines as well will be different, since you're tapping instead of plucking and have different tunings.

I guess it depends on the style of the band, but I would think an original band that truly wanted to be original would welcome a Stick into their setting. This is just my opinion, and I don't intend to be mean-spirited towards your bandmates, but I feel like an "original" band that off-handedly rejects innovation is not truly trying to be original, but is just trying to be another meh band that blends in with the masses.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I saw Tony Levin do some really nice stuff with Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe live, using Stick to play some classic Yes tunes - and it was totally badass.
Just sayin'.
You may quote me whenever someone says "We're a cover band. You can't use a Stick to play bass parts." Or you can tell them to get stuffed.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Aw, you guys are the best. Yeah, I guess I will need to find another project.

But I should prolly learn to play my Stick first! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Unfortunatly there are many (even most), musicians who when first seeing a Stick think "It's a BASS", and a few that, even if you beat them over the head with it can't get past that. In that case I agree with Luc, tell 'em to piss off!

h3dg3h0g wrote:
But I should prolly learn to play my Stick first! :)

It's a matter of degree, your already in the top nth percentile of musicians on this planet when it comes to playing the Stick.
You'd be suprised how impressive just a couple of chords (or even notes) in each hand can be to a non-Stickest.

Cheers,
Eric

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:21 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

eraplanetearth wrote:
You'd be suprised how impressive just a couple of chords (or even notes) in each hand can be to a non-Stickest.

...yes, agree, but it's also a very big danger, not to develop the musical and technical skills on the stick...

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Balt-A-Sar wrote:
[

...yes, agree, but it's also a very big danger, not to develop the musical and technical skills on the stick...

Absolutly! Avoid being a 'one-tune-wonder'.

For me, playing the Stick engenders both skills very naturally. Far more than playing guitar for 40+ years did, and that's really cool.

Cheers,
Eric

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:10 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next