It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

String Vibration - Fret Noise 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post String Vibration - Fret Noise
Hello I live in th UK and got my stick from Stick Enterprises in October 2007 - a 12 string grand with light guage strings, I also bought Greg Howards instruction book + CD for MR tuning - I have been getting on very well but have a question regarding string vibration and noise. When I am tapping bass lines on the low strings the other bass strings vibrate against the frets adding to the background noise, now I can mute the other strings I am used to doing this with heavily distorted guitars and reduce the noise, but my question is - is this a technique other stick players use or do I need to look at my set up -I have adusted the truss rod because high bass strings were choking and not sounding when tapped and I think the set up is fine now.
Thanks in advance Jason

Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: String Vibration - Fret Noise
tyscaman wrote:
Hello I live in th UK and got my stick from Stick Enterprises in October 2007 - a 12 string grand with light guage strings, I also bought Greg Howards instruction book + CD for MR tuning - I have been getting on very well but have a question regarding string vibration and noise. When I am tapping bass lines on the low strings the other bass strings vibrate against the frets adding to the background noise, now I can mute the other strings I am used to doing this with heavily distorted guitars and reduce the noise, but my question is - is this a technique other stick players use or do I need to look at my set up -I have adusted the truss rod because high bass strings were choking and not sounding when tapped and I think the set up is fine now.
Thanks in advance Jason

Hi Jason,

If any of the strings are buzzing on the frets, then you should still take the action up a bit. That's definitely a sign that the truss is too tight, (fretboard arching back).

Just for reference, here's the picture that shows which direction to move the wrench for tightening and loosening:

If the truss and nut are adjusted properly, then the damper does a really good job of keeping the untapped strings from vibrating, and muting the ones you've played after you lift up your finger.

I hope that helps. Glad to know the book is working out for you.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for this reply Greg - you confirmed what I was thinking. - infact it was your video I stumbled across last year on the Stick Enterprises website demonstrating the stick - That was enough for me to put my money where my mouth was and I have not been diappointed - My Wife thinks I have gone mad because I have now sold all my guitars and I can't play the stick as well - yet!! - but I guess you and other stick players know the reasons why.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:36 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Solved - no more string noise at all - it's like night and day - Greg was spot on with advice - hope this helps other Stick players with this problem.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:56 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

tyscaman wrote:
Solved - no more string noise at all - it's like night and day - Greg was spot on with advice - hope this helps other Stick players with this problem.

Hi Jason,

Glad to help. The truss is designed to be adjusted easily. Some people are too shy about doing it. If your weather conditions change appreciably, you probably need to check your truss.

There's a great community of players over there, with which i hope you can make a connection.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I have a sort of follow up question.

How can I tell if my neck is in the optimum setting?
I'm kind of noobish with fiddling around with the setup, I know I tried it with my bass and it was disastrous :p
My specs are on the signature.

Skype Me™!

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

locks wrote:
I have a sort of follow up question.

How can I tell if my neck is in the optimum setting?
I'm kind of noobish with fiddling around with the setup, I know I tried it with my bass and it was disastrous :p
My specs are on the signature.

Hi Locks,

Even with heavy gauge strings, it's easy to have a light tapping action on your Stick.

The simplest guide is the "feel". If the action is higher in the middle of the fretboard, near the 12th fret inlay, then you'll have a much harder time fretting notes there then closer to the nut.

That's a sign that you need to tighten the truss.

If the notes are fretting out at the nut, then that's a sign you need to loosen the truss.

I try to get the action as low as possible without any strings fretting out.

There are other ways to tell, but those are the easiest.

Whatever you do, don't worry too much about going too far one way or the other. The truss is designed to be easy to adjust, and it's easy to turn it back just a bit if you need to.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

When I got ironwood #1212 back after refurbishing w/ the new truss, it was fine for about a week. Then, the Jersey summer humidity began to wreak havoc-#1 string fretting out @ 7th. fret. I tweaked it for about a week, going too far at one point, but as far as tweakability, the stick is the easiest and most forgiving instrument i've ever had. I never knew I needed a truss until I got one!

Marty

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:41 am