It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:09 am

String spacing, damping and fingering. 

Post String spacing, damping and fingering.
Hi all,

I've been having a bit of a problem with my new (to me) 12 string Grand. How do I avoid fouling the low C string (#7) when playing the adjacent strings? Given the tight spacing on the heavy bass strings, is this just an issue I'll have to learn to live with on a Grand?

The 10 string Grand I was playing before I bought this Stick seemed to have considerably bigger spacing.

Tra

Piggly

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:57 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: String spacing, damping and fingering.
Hi,

yep, the string groups are closer to each other on a Grand. I guess Emmett chose this so that the Grand's fingerboard wouldn't become too wide. You will get used to it :-)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WigglePig wrote:
Hi all,

I've been having a bit of a problem with my new (to me) 12 string Grand. How do I avoid fouling the low C string (#7) when playing the adjacent strings? Given the tight spacing on the heavy bass strings, is this just an issue I'll have to learn to live with on a Grand?

The 10 string Grand I was playing before I bought this Stick seemed to have considerably bigger spacing.

Tra

Piggly
Hi Piggly,

Make sure you curve your fingers like hammers and play with your fingertips. Also, using energy from hand movement along the line of the string, instead of an up and down finger motion alone really helps you avoid accidentally hitting the lowest bass string.

You can see the kind of motion I'm talking about clearly in this video at 3:30:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNNUHKZWLw[/youtube]

It's also covered extensively in the Basic Free Hands Technique DVD coming out next week.

Hope that helps.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The Strings are closer on the grand for sure. I have big fingers and I can play the 6th and 7th strings simultaneously. It has taken practice though, and finger curving/hand movement as Greg has said.

Brett

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Evening all,

After a bit of experimenting I have discovered that moving the 7th string to the other slot in the nut screw makes a lot of difference in the playability of the adjacent strings. What I have done is to move it closer to the 6th string which, completely contrary to what I expected, has made it much easier to cleanly play both the 8th AND the 6th string!

This instrument turns out to be surprising me in so many ways!

Now all I need to do is to sort out what the string gauges are so Rotosound can supply me a matched set of flatwound (or groundwound) strings!

Wiggly

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey man.
I don't think that's such a great idea. Let your fingers get used to the spacing and you will adapt. I would also advise against using anything other than stick strings on your stick; just sayin'......

kev

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious. Why do you want flat wounds ?
and some advice, put the string back and just practice,any difficulty will go away with practice.
trust me.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hiho,

I just fancy trying flats, is all. I used flats on both guitar and bass and like them and I'm looking for my own sound.

I understand that SE selects carefully for balanced sound, etc, but I want the same type across the fretboard and I like the sound flats make.

So there. :P

Piggly

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:06 am
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

beware that a flatwound string of a certain gauge has a higher mass, and thus string tension than a roundwound string of the same gauge, so you may want to take a slighter thinner gauge for playability.
The first Stick strings were kind of flatwound (cello strings), from what I understood.
Regards, Jaap

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have a 12-string DBR Grand and an original Ironwood #1212. The string spacing is actually tighter on the Grand. it takes me about a minute to adapt between Sticks. Get used to it. And about those strings...(all chime in) WE TOLD YOU SO.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery