It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

New Stick AKA as GAS attack 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: New Stick AKA as GAS attack
Thanks Rich

I’m still a beginner and don’t really know what I’m talking about, but to me the 10 grand seems like it would be the perfect choice if I ever get incurable GAS and order me a new Stick. I also notice that most of the advanced Stickists play 12 strings, and I rarely see videos of 10 Grands on Youtube etc. One notable exception of coarse is Emmett himself who seems to love the 10 Grand. I'll get my hands on one someday....

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

flynlion wrote:
One notable exception of coarse is Emmett himself who seems to love the 10 Grand. I'll get my hands on one someday....

Sean Malone is a convert, too. However, videos of him are indeed rare :lol:

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:49 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

arsacane wrote:
... no inlays (depending on availability / timing) ...

My paduak with black linear inlays is like having no inlays :lol: -- and I love it.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Any chances of having a couple of pictures of your padauk?

Thanks in advance, Daniel.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

flynlion wrote:
Thanks Rich

I’m still a beginner and don’t really know what I’m talking about, but to me the 10 grand seems like it would be the perfect choice if I ever get incurable GAS and order me a new Stick. I also notice that most of the advanced Stickists play 12 strings, and I rarely see videos of 10 Grands on Youtube etc. One notable exception of coarse is Emmett himself who seems to love the 10 Grand. I'll get my hands on one someday....
Here's another video of the Ten String Grand with DBR:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqKWvJYpBqg[/youtube]

The extra string spacing works really nicely for the DBR tuning, but I've always been very happy with the regular 10-string. It feels like a "light-sabre" in my hands. Though I play a Grand most of the time these days, I think I would be happy if the 10-strings were all there ever was. There is something sleek and precise about the narrower fretboard.

Bass players will probably prefer the extra string spacing initially because it is more familiar, but the more you start "taking on" the unfamiliar, the faster your learning will be
(I think).

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

" I think I would be happy if the 10-strings were all there ever was."

I agree, the narrow neck feels great in my hands. I LOVE playing my 10-string. It was almost sold, glad it fell thru.

10 string (stickup)

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:49 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

greg wrote:
Bass players will probably prefer the extra string spacing initially because it is more familiar, but the more you start "taking on" the unfamiliar, the faster your learning will be
(I think).

You're probably correct, of coarse, but I'm a big guy (6' 5" 200+) and I like big things. That 10 Grand in the video is a beast! (I want one) :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

aw Greg, thanks fer the DBR vid. im poor so i can only hear yr posts here (my youtube doesn't work either) so to hear someone playing the DBR thet GETS IT is a blessing. speaking of Blessings, i had left-hand carpal tunnel surgery yesterday, i picked up Blondie today, and while my hand is sore, i had to stop because my r.h. went numb. (c.t. not as bad) NO NUMBNESS (so far) it's like having a new hand, and a new lease on life. i can practice again. watch out.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The new member of my tappers family will be a Padauk Grand with black tuners and paua linear inlays, a PAS4 and the midi trench for future upgrade :mrgreen:
I feel like a kid with a new toy :D

Cheers, Daniel.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My stick is already in production :o :o !
Remember those days when you had to wait for 12+ months? A real hard test for the faithful ;-)
Now with the production reserve and the faster production cycles it is really hard to not succumb to the GAS...
Less than 2 weeks since my first call and the production started! Maybe I was lucky and they had a free slot in the current run (YMMV).

I remember in the previous forum (before the BIG CRASH), a few threads where many of us were asking for shorter wait times... I don't know how you did it Emmet: significantly shorter wait times without sacrificing quality or increasing prices; CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Cheers, Daniel.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:40 pm