It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

FORTUNE COOKIE FOR LIFE 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post FORTUNE COOKIE FOR LIFE
Warning: This article could help you break on through in your musical life.

I was eating some Miso soup the other day, and my meal came with an appropos fortune cookie with a message that I would like to share with all of you. (please don't put "in bed" after it!) :D It said:

"A truly creative person rids him or herself of all self-imposed limitations."

So, if you start any sentence with "SHOULD, WOULD, COULD or IF", stop right there, focus yourself and say "that's in the past, what can I do right now!" .... IF I only have singed up for the seminar, ... I SHOULD have gotten a StepAbout (tm) and would be a better player.... WOULD i only have this plug-in, I could write the greatest song ever.......

All in the past.

If you can do something about it now, do something. if you can't, then let it go.

If you can control something you are worried about, then control it. take charge. if you are worried about something you CAN'T control, then it is out of your reach, and forget about it. Don't waste one more second of thought or negative energy over it. You'll be better off in the long run.

So, think about what is holding you back, put it in one of 2 bins -the Control bin, and do something about it , or -the Worry Bin, and hit Empty Secure Trash!

hope this helps,
Dave Brosky

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: FORTUNE COOKIE FOR LIFE
But Dave, I have a third bin I'd never want to delete. I like to put things on hold and wait for facts to collect and thoughts to emerge. Sometimes I never get an answer. Does astrology actually work in some mysterious way? Will I ever finish my elaborate theory of world economics? Is there DNA everywhere in the universe? Will we ever happily govern ourselves in collective groups? C-c-can't we all just get along?

Will I ever create my dream Stick synth controller? Maybe if I wait long enough it'll come to me.

OTOH, I do get a lot of useful answers out of my "third bin", but often delayed over time (then lightning might strike). I suppose it depends on how much stress one needs in ones life - a matter of postponed satisfaction possibly never to be achieved.

Best, Emmett.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:24 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hi Dave,
Great to hear another tidbit o' wisdom from you. It reminds me of the old saying; "woulda, coulda, shoulda...didn'ta".

But there is always the back burner, I s'pose!

Also, since the NE seminar was cancelled, would you do another one in Pittsville?

Mike

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike kemp wrote:
Hi Dave,
Great to hear another tidbit o' wisdom from you. It reminds me of the old saying; "woulda, coulda, shoulda...didn'ta".

But there is always the back burner, I s'pose!

Also, since the NE seminar was cancelled, would you do another one in Pittsville?

Mike

Maybe we should consider something around Pittsburgh. There are at least 5 or 6 Stick players around here.

Let me mow this over. :lol:

If we can get 3 Stick players to show up at a grocery store, I think we can get a Stick seminar going. I have a few ideas for venues in the area.

Maybe even get Emmett to make a cameo appearance or at least Skype us a hello.

http://www.samsonstick.com

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Loving this post dbrodsky, thanks so much for putting it up.

One of the reasons I even considered the Stick journey was that I wanted to be able to make music when I was ready to do so. I was dependent on other people to help me make music and this, this cannot do.

There were SO many times when I was inspired, ready to write and perform - to be creative. But I was waiting on a bassist, or a guitarist or, le sigh, a drummer. I vowed to at least make the commitment to myself that I would not let other people hinder my creative destiny.

Anyway, I am certain that the NE Stick Seminar will adopt, evolve and morph into an even larger meeting of Stickists. We won't be denied. I view this as more of a postponement than a cancellation and am glad to know that there are calculating, creative and inspiring Stickists out there planning our next learning opportunity! (that's you Brett!)

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery