It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

Is it easy to bump other strings? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Is it easy to bump other strings?
Since I do not have a stick in my hands yet!!!

Is there much difference between a 10 string, 10 string Grand and 12 string Grand as far as string spacing and your fingers?

I see the string spacing number differences posted, but without having them side by side for a comparison - its hard to pick which one is the best for me (trying to prevent "I picked the wrong one" ordering mistake)

Is it easy to bump other strings on the 12 string grand?

Is it better to go with light strings on the 12 string grands? Or "It does not make any difference what string gauge you have"?

Is a 12 string harder to navigate (bumping strings) playing uncrossed when your fingers are closer to your thumb - compared to a 10 string or 10 string grand?

Cliff

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Is it easy to bump other strings?
I can't wait to hear the responses on this.

Here are some previous threads that may entertain, both from Greg Howard
Is 10 strings enough?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4986

He gets into the practicality of it here:
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 563#p34563

I came up on 34" scale, 10-string, non-x Fret Paduak with a stickup, so, like others, the 10-string feels like home to me. On two occasions I have purchased 12-strings Sticks only trade to back down for a 10-string. This is just my personal preference. Martino, Poorman, Culbertson and Greigsgraber all rock 12-strings (pretty much exclusively), so go figure. Lots of redundancy on the 12r, that was may favorite aspect of the 12-string.

It's a personal preference, anyone that tells you different is selling something. :D

Fri May 25, 2012 7:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I got my first Stick a month ago. After thinking about it for a long time, I decided to go for a 12 string Grand. At first I worried that 12 might be too many strings for me to handle, but after a month I can tell you, it's not that hard; once you look down on all the strings you can mentally separate melody from bass and each hand only has to deal with 6 strings.

I'm going through Greg's book, which is written for a 10-string, so for now I tend to ignore the 6th and 12th strings, although the 6th string has been very useful as a "buffer zone" between melody and bass. Obviously I intend to explore the use of those 2 extra strings as I get better at this...

My other concern was that the touchboard might be too wide and my hands wouldn't reach the 1st and 12th strings (I don't have particularly large hands or anything), but it turned out to be a non-issue, I can reach just fine.

To me the string separation feels the same as in an electric guitar.

Fri May 25, 2012 8:22 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I own a 12 String Grand and also a 12 String WARR Guitar which has a significantly wider neck and string spacing. I find that when I go back and forth between them that my fingers sort of quickly settle in and either spacing is fine. Whatever instrument I'm playing tends to become "normal" and I don't even think about spacing.

My personal opinion is that 12 or 10 strings are both fine also. In my experience, the extra two strings on the 12 are the two I use the least (although I do use them). My tuning is a variation of Classic with ascending 5th's in the bass. I think if you go with Rob Martino's Mirrored 4th's that 12 strings is critical.

Fri May 25, 2012 9:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

If you're willing to look at this from a technique perspective, the two things I find really help are

1. to make sure your hands are positioned over the board enough so that you can curve your fingers and play with your fingertips....and...

2. use hand movement along the line of the string rather than an up-and-down finger "typing" motion. I find playing with hand movement is much more precise, because the fingers all have different lengths.

Fri May 25, 2012 1:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I've only 10-string experience, and for me it took a bit of time becoming comfortable with what worked, it built with a combination of muscle and tactile memory. I play fingerpicked guitar as well, and it is somewhat difficult to keep a satisfying fingernail length that doesn't hinder my Stick playing, but is long enough to work for the guitar stuff I do. On the 3rd side of that coin, I've learned to incorporate an ascending rasgeado(sic) occasionally into my Stick technique.

Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Well - I guess I will not find out what the playability variances between 0.350" and 0.300" are (as far as feel and bump-other-strings-ness).

I just changed my order from a 10 string Grand to a 12 String Grand after reading many posts. 0.050" difference between the two is small after all.

Tue May 29, 2012 4:50 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I think that it's going to feel a bit awkward to begin with, just as it would with any other stringed instrument. I remember when I started playing guitar years ago, the strings felt quite strange within the standard playing position, but the more I practiced, the less strange it became.

As I've just recently taken up the Stick again, the spacing on my Grand feels strange at first but I become used to it the more I practice. I think you'll be very happy with your Grand Stick.

Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
I'm going through Greg's book, which is written for a 10-string, so for now I tend to ignore the 6th and 12th strings,

Another way of saying this is that the ten string is right there on the board with the twelve.
Having that in mind, and getting ideas from Greg's book gives a perspective like
'oh this is ten, and this is twelve :idea: :idea: 8-)
:ugeek: You will be deeply gratified...
`J`

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Tue May 29, 2012 8:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Personally, never had a problem with string spacing on the 12 stringer. I endorse the Grand for the extra possibilities it presents. So many alternative voicings and fingering options.
Don't be intimidated by the extra 2 strings.

SA

Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery