Here is a project I have been working on. Since I got my new Stick, I have wanted to try to turn my old one into something that might play without an amp.
Years ago someone gave me an old entry level cello that was collecting dust in their attic. The thought came to me to try to combine the cello body with my old ironwood stick. Through many experiments, this is what I have so far.
Basically, I just cut the finger board off of the cello and boldted the stick on, careful to keep where the stick bridge should be near the sound post of the cello. Then I had to design and make my own bridge and tailpiece. Very tedious, yet thought provoking.
The instrument is loud enough to hear un amplified, but not loud enough to be heard over, say, and acoustic guitar. But...with "the Block" pick up added on, it sounds every bit as good as it used to while amplified.
On a side note, you may notice the gk-3 pick up on there. This is not one from SE that has been modified to fit the string spacing of a Stick. I just put the pickup at a slant approximate to "the Block" pick up, just underneath it. Everything seems to work absolutely fine, except I needed to turn up the sensitivity of the synth pickup.
Though the experiment to get a "cello-fied" Stick that could be played at the volume of an acoustic guitar has so far been a failure, it sounds great amplified and feels awesome playing it as if it was a cello.
If anyone wants to see it, I plan to bring it to the upcoming NE stick seminar and maybe play it if the students are allowed to play at the concert. It is hard to decide which to play, since my new Stick is also great to play.
I hope this is not disturbing to too many people.