It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 pm

Is it easy to bump other strings? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Is it easy to bump other strings?
I had issues bumping other strings for the few first hours but got used pretty quickly to the twelve stringed Grand. I have small hands too but this is no problem if you don't anchor your hands by keeping the thumbs placed behind the neck. Today after two years playing my thumbs are just as much on the fretboard as behind the neck. Be sure to keep the strap tight and the Stick firmly secured at a reasonably vertical position and your hands can be moved by your arms all over the board with just as accurate precision as if using the "tumb lock".

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

[quote="Lee Vatip"]Personally, never had a problem with string spacing on the 12 stringer. I endorse the Grand for the extra possibilities it presents. So many alternative voicings and fingering options.
Don't be intimidated by the extra 2 strings.

SA[/quote]

Since I have no seat time on a stick yet (other than a 1/2 hour lesson) the extra strings should not bother me.
Just think - I am going from an 11-piece drum set with 12 cymbals covering 7 feet wide down to 12 tiny strings all bunched together covering 3.5 inches.

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

enrique wrote:
I'm going through Greg's book, which is written for a 10-string, so for now I tend to ignore the 6th and 12th strings, although the 6th string has been very useful as a "buffer zone" between melody and bass. Obviously I intend to explore the use of those 2 extra strings as I get better at this...
Hi Enrique,

The basic technique is the same whether you learn on 10 or 12 string. I think the basic chord, interval and scale shapes are easier to see on 5 strings than on 6.

I would encourage you to get used to playing the 6th string by shifting some melody exercises up 5 frets and down one string. It's not good to "avoid" the lowest melody string, better to really practice using it instead.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery