It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:28 am

Truss rod adjustment observation 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Truss rod adjustment observation
Seeing another post about truss rod adjustment today reminded me to post this.

Not sure if anyone else has ever dealt with this; beg pardon if so. When I heard Greg on his DVD mention getting a flat belt hook to help make positioning easier for players with a little extra in the middle, I asked S.E. about it, and they sent a flat belt hook pedestal (the part that actually makes contact with the back of the Stick). Turns out it's no more than a regular angled pedestal that's been cut down to remove the angle.

It's been working well, but a few days ago after a big weather system drenched my area, my Stick's neck developed an arch and buzzing strings. I reached for the handy-dandy truss wrench, only to find that I couldn't get it in the slot to get to the nut. After a couple of moments I realized that the flat pedestal is shorter than the original, so the wrench can't fit into that space anymore. I had to take the belt hook assembly off to get the wrench in there, and I was able to correct the arch.

Now my search is on for an angled wrench that WILL fit the reduced space between the neck and belt hook. If the search proves fruitless, I might have to go back to the original angled pedestal - which will kinda suck because the flat one is much more comfortable to play and less hard on my wrists.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Truss rod adjustment observation
another thing you can try is to put a shim or some washers between the instrument and the belt clip. Before I lost some weight I added a 1/4 inch shim behind the origional belt clip. You could add a bigger shim if you needed, but you may need longer machine screws to put the clip back on. Now that I don't need it, I haven't changed my newer Stick, but the old one worked well like this. Then, as Mick sang, you can paint it black so it won't show.

Mike

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hmm...interesting. I might just try it if I can figure out a shim that won't create any pressure marks in the Stick. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BergerStick wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has ever dealt with this; beg pardon if so. When I heard Greg on his DVD mention getting a flat belt hook to help make positioning easier for players with a little extra in the middle, I asked S.E. about it, and they sent a flat belt hook pedestal (the part that actually makes contact with the back of the Stick). Turns out it's no more than a regular angled pedestal that's been cut down to remove the angle.

It's been working well, but a few days ago after a big weather system drenched my area, my Stick's neck developed an arch and buzzing strings. I reached for the handy-dandy truss wrench, only to find that I couldn't get it in the slot to get to the nut. After a couple of moments I realized that the flat pedestal is shorter than the original, so the wrench can't fit into that space anymore. I had to take the belt hook assembly off to get the wrench in there, and I was able to correct the arch.

Now my search is on for an angled wrench that WILL fit the reduced space between the neck and belt hook. If the search proves fruitless, I might have to go back to the original angled pedestal - which will kinda suck because the flat one is much more comfortable to play and less hard on my wrists.

Even with the smaller space on the left side of the belt-hook, you should be able to swap the wrench over to the other side to keep turning in the same direction. Glad to hear the non-angled pedestal is more comfortable for you.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery