It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Strings too high? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Strings too high?
I have a new graphite Stick that I received this past week. At the low end, there's about 3mm clearance. At the high end, it's double that. Is that how it is supposed to be? The strings seem awfully far from the fret board when I try the high notes.

I watched Greg's setup video, but I'm still not sure. I think I see a bow.

The problem is that the Stick is new. It's almost certainly set up correctly. Still, it doesn't look right or feel right to me. The high notes are tough because "depth" of the tap. The neighboring strings get in the way.

How high should the strings be? Should they have the same spacing (more or less) over the entire fret board? Am I totally wrong about how it should be?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Strings too high?
turnley wrote:
I have a new graphite Stick that I received this past week. At the low end, there's about 3mm clearance. At the high end, it's double that. Is that how it is supposed to be? The strings seem awfully far from the fret board when I try the high notes.

I watched Greg's setup video, but I'm still not sure. I think I see a bow.

The problem is that the Stick is new. It's almost certainly set up correctly. Still, it doesn't look right or feel right to me. The high notes are tough because "depth" of the tap. The neighboring strings get in the way.

How high should the strings be? Should they have the same spacing (more or less) over the entire fret board? Am I totally wrong about how it should be?
The thing to do is just crank the truss back until the strings start to buzz at the X fret, then go back the other way just a bit. you'll be amazed how low you can get the action, even over 36" scale length.

The string height is not uniform over the frets because it has to increase slightly as you get closer to the bridge in order for the notes to clear the next higher fret.

the truss won't fuss so don't be shy
crank the strings down, give it a try
but don't change the bridge or the flaps that you see
on an instrument shipped straight from SE

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I guess I have two questions.

First, how high should should the strings be on a Stick with a straight fret board? I can do what Greg says and adjust out of a slight arch. If I do, what can I expect at the higher frets?

Second, did I really get a maladjusted Stick from SE? I have trouble believing that. I adjusted the tuning a little. Could that have thrown things off?

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

turnley wrote:
I guess I have two questions.

First, how high should should the strings be on a Stick with a straight fret board? I can do what Greg says and adjust out of a slight arch. If I do, what can I expect at the higher frets?

Second, did I really get a maladjusted Stick from SE? I have trouble believing that. I adjusted the tuning a little. Could that have thrown things off?
The idea that an instrument needs a truss adjustment is a routine state of affairs. If you imagine the pressures, heat, etc that boxes are subjected to in shipping, it makes perfect sense that an instrument would need to be adjusted. So I wouldn't call it "maladjusted", I'd call it in need of adjustment.

Don't be resistant to adjusting the truss, and don't be surprised if you have to. remember we're talking about a 36"-scale instrument with strings ranging from .009 - .128 gauge strings all vibrating freely and with very low action.

Not sure how helpful the number would be, but after adjusting my rosewood Grand string 1 (a .009 gauge) has a clearance of about 0.028 inches at fret 12 and 0.042 at fret 24. I measured this clearance with a micromoeter and my new glasses, so it should be pretty close.Both distances were less than a dime thickness in any case.

If you have enough of a bow the clearance at fret 12 will actually be greater than it is at fret 24.

Hope that's helpful.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes, that's helpful. I was confused. On the one hand I thought the Stick would be ready-to-go right out the box. On the other hand, it just didn't seem right. I like your explanation.

Knowing your string clearance is useful. It gives me a general ballpark to compare with.

I'll go back and watch your truss video again and give it a try.

Thanks.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:34 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Greg;

Maybe you can explain this to me....

If the stick is setup with the truss rod to make the fingerboard perfectly flat, why couldn't the flaps and bridge height be adjusted to be exactly the same height?. If the fingerboard is perfectly flat, shouldn't the string to fret clearance be the same at one end as it is on the other?

It's not like a guitar where you don't have control over the height of the nut slots

greg wrote:
The string height is not uniform over the frets because it has to increase slightly as you get closer to the bridge in order for the notes to clear the next higher fret.

the truss won't fuss so don't be shy
crank the strings down, give it a try
but don't change the bridge or the flaps that you see
on an instrument shipped straight from SE

10 string Nickle Plasma Railboard #6974 MR tuning.

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:47 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Another question : how to adjust the truss thst is screwd in the middle and can be adjusted at both bridge and nut ends ?

Cheers,
Bas

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 pm