It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Truss too tight, but not tight enough. 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Truss too tight, but not tight enough.
Perhaps this is a question for Greg and Emmett, but I am open to suggestions from anyone.

I am noticing that my fretboard profile is relatively flat, but could be a bit more so. My problem is that the truss nut won't tighten any more than it already is, to the point where it's actually put a stress fracture on my wrench. It simply will not move any further. The action could be a bit lower, especially from the mid-point of the board to upper registers. Even if the board was as flat as it needed to be, there should be enough play in the truss to create a bow if tightened too far, but that's not possible.

I haven't raised the heights of the strings at all and they just barely clear the zero fret at the nut. As it stands at the moment there is a slight (acceptable) amount of buzzing if I play too hard, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
James

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Truss too tight, but not tight enough.
bizon wrote:
Perhaps this is a question for Greg and Emmett, but I am open to suggestions from anyone.

I am noticing that my fretboard profile is relatively flat, but could be a bit more so. My problem is that the truss nut won't tighten any more than it already is, to the point where it's actually put a stress fracture on my wrench. It simply will not move any further. The action could be a bit lower, especially from the mid-point of the board to upper registers. Even if the board was as flat as it needed to be, there should be enough play in the truss to create a bow if tightened too far, but that's not possible.

I haven't raised the heights of the strings at all and they just barely clear the zero fret at the nut. As it stands at the moment there is a slight (acceptable) amount of buzzing if I play too hard, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
James
Hi James, the truss wrenches are soft enough that, rather than tighten too tight they will crack as you said. Some truss nuts are harder to turn than others. I'd suggest you get a double wrench from Emmett next time you order some strings, and you could also try putting some powder graphite on the threads before tightening the nut.

I'm assuming you're not "out of thread" on the truss, or course.

As far as the buzzing goes, you may already do this, but just in case you don't, always try to play right behind the fret. Obviously with certain chord shapes this isn't possible, but most of the time it is, and it will give you less buzzing, particularly if you support the movement of the fingers with movement of the hands.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Truss too tight, but not tight enough.
Thanks for the tips, Greg!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm