It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 New Stick Tech video: comparing the Stickup, ACTV-2 & PASV-4 

Post Re: New Stick Tech video: comparing the Stickup, ACTV-2 & PA
When I bought the Stick I got a brand new PASV4 pup as well as the old malfunctioning. I have a plan for that: hard wire my favourite setting, get rid of all pots and switches and install two Redeemer Circuits from Creation Audiolabs. Maybe even get my colleagues, the teachers at a CNC - educational place to mill a new chassis in airplane grade alumin(i)um

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer/

There is another model that can be used with passive instruments without messing them up; maybe put them on the upside of the belt hook:

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer-inline/
or
http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer-beltpack/

Anyway, I like the PASV4 a lot, especially the upper single coil position combined with the fullest, fattest tone position. Mmmmmmmmmm...

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

What is your signal chain like between your instrument and your amp's input? Please include cable lengths and which, if any, pedals are buffered (hint: all Boss pedals are buffered).

It seems unlikely that you would need to buffer your instrument's output.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Robstafarian wrote:
What is your signal chain like between your instrument and your amp's input? Please include cable lengths and which, if any, pedals are buffered (hint: all Boss pedals are buffered).

It seems unlikely that you would need to buffer your instrument's output.

I don't know if you mean my post, but I make an answer...

Maybe not so much of "need" as of "wanna"...
When summing both pickup sides to one input they effect/affect each other when adjusting their respective volume pots. That's the thing. Now my friend Ulf is building me a buffer/mixer for the pedal board - just for fun - with the ability to adjust volume and send separate and/or summed signals. It won't be a pedal, just a box with one trim pot and five tele jacks: two in and three out. He'll name it " The Stick Pig" for one reason: the colour will be pig pink. (No - don't ask why...!)

Last edited by bassmayhem on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

bassmayhem wrote:
Now my friend Ulf is building me a buffer/mixer for the pedal board - just for fun - with the ability to adjust volume and send separate and/or summed signals. It won't be a pedal,
Smart! That's how I too do it, currently by the internal signal routing of the Fractal Audio AxeFxII.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Per Boysen wrote:
bassmayhem wrote:
Now my friend Ulf is building me a buffer/mixer for the pedal board - just for fun - with the ability to adjust volume and send separate and/or summed signals. It won't be a pedal,
Smart! That's how I too do it, currently by the internal signal routing of the Fractal Audio AxeFxII.

I've been thinking about the AxeFx too, but find I really like the analog side of things. I'm not into the "soundscape shape of things", just play and use effects occasionally. I even excluded the compressor from my signal chain for now...

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol... actually it replaces my analog tube amp top + two marshall cabs

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
Lol... actually it replaces my analog tube amp top + two marshall cabs
for me it's all about "moving air"... give me those open-back cabs and for the melody side, hold the tweeter....

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Out of curiosity, what's the logic behind keeping the recent video on the R-Block solely within the Railboard section of SE's web site?
My guess is that it's a pickup that couldn't be used with any other model due to its integration with the thin Railboard, and so because it's not an available option for anything else (sadly), it's kind of "segregated" from the information about all the others (including access to this very thorough comparison video).
I bring it up because, intuitively, the first couple of times I went on the SE site to look for info on the R-Block and the new video, the first place I looked for it was the pickup section with the Stickup, ACTV-2 and PASV-4. As it's not there, one has to dig further into the Railboard section to get to it.
I wonder if some good might come from putting the video about the R-Block with the other comparison video. Even though you can't get it without getting a Railboard, it might actually influence someone to buy a Railboard based on the R-Block's specs and unique passive/active capabilities.
(Just a little curiosity; a mental exercise, if you will.)

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
for me it's all about "moving air"... give me those open-back cabs and for the melody side, hold the tweeter....

Yes, that's right. The feeling of air moving in the room can not be simulated. But when recorded the open back cab sounds... like the AxeFx and Kemper do right out of the box. I used to be a moving-air-in-the-room fan back in the days when I was a live band guitar player. But since then I have come to like the recorded sound of that phenomenon so much that I am now comfortable playing a gig with a "studio recording" sound coming out of flat-response-full-range speakers.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc wrote:
Out of curiosity, what's the logic behind keeping the recent video on the R-Block solely within the Railboard section of SE's web site?
My guess is that it's a pickup that couldn't be used with any other model due to its integration with the thin Railboard, and so because it's not an available option for anything else (sadly), it's kind of "segregated" from the information about all the others (including access to this very thorough comparison video).
I bring it up because, intuitively, the first couple of times I went on the SE site to look for info on the R-Block and the new video, the first place I looked for it was the pickup section with the Stickup, ACTV-2 and PASV-4. As it's not there, one has to dig further into the Railboard section to get to it.
I wonder if some good might come from putting the video about the R-Block with the other comparison video. Even though you can't get it without getting a Railboard, it might actually influence someone to buy a Railboard based on the R-Block's specs and unique passive/active capabilities.
(Just a little curiosity; a mental exercise, if you will.)
Hi Luc,

I don't want people to confuse it with the other pickups, since none of them are available for the Railboard and the R-Block is not available for the other models (not yet).

But you make a good suggestion. I'll see if there is some way to do it without creating confusion.

Maybe it will be a choice for the other models down the road (I had this thought the first time I heard the R-Block's fabulous tone, and have talked about it with Emmett).

Emmett would have to make a new module for it because the shape is different, and the sound wouldn't be "identical" to the Railboard, as part of the difference in tone is the Railboard itself, and part of it is the placement of the pickups relative to the harmonic nodes of the strings: the angle of the R-Block puts the melody pickup farther away from the bridge, so it's a little mellower, and the bass pickup closer to the bridge, so it has a little more edge.

Thanks for the feedback about the way it's presented on the website. That's really helpful.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next