It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

Building Phase Dance - Part 1 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Building Phase Dance - Part 1
Stickrad wrote:
Eric.!

Great blog. Didn't you come up with the virtual note tracker thingy, it would be great to see that on your vids.

So much to learn from the chordings and choice of voicing.

Cheers

Thanks! I am the one who is playing with the visual note thingy. I wanted to get something out and not wait any longer. I will add some of that in future posts. I almost did part 2 today but I'm running out of time.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc wrote:
I'll be following this. You're a brave dude just to work on this gorgeous tune, let alone let everyone in on the process so publicly. You deserve our kudos and our ears.

I saw a 17 yo friend of the family sing songs she wrote this weekend. She played piano and sang for an hour in a coffee shop. She was nervous as hell, but did it. Her songs were..., well, never mind, it doesn't matter. She got up in front of a crowd, fought down the nerves, and sang a bunch of personal songs that bared her soul. I have been afraid of doing that for almost 60 years and I'm damned sick of it. It's now or never.

It's going to take me a while to learn this piece and I don't care. As long as I make progress I'll be satisfied. Thanks for listening in, I need the encouragement.

-Eric

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

This tune sounds simple yet has some great musical concepts.
At a previous Skype lesson Eric and I reviewed Pat's "Question and Answer".
Much more complex. Pat's compositions are a great study in a multitude of musical concepts. Highly recommended.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
This tune sounds simple yet has some great musical concepts.
At a previous Skype lesson Eric and I reviewed Pat's "Question and Answer".
Much more complex. Pat's compositions are a great study in a multitude of musical concepts. Highly recommended.

Q&A is a great tune and I'm getting closer to being able to play the whole thing. I need to polish it more and explore soloing and I will put it on my small performance list. It's growing, slowly, but growing. Thanks, Steve.

-Eric

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I know I mentioned this in another thread but it bears repeating here.

Both Eric and Luc are correct. In other words, the transcription is correct. But Pat notated it as if it were being played on a 6-string standard tuned guitar. He then plays it on a Nashville tuned guitar where strings 1 and 2 are the same as standard but then strings 3-6 are an octave higher. Think of it like a 12-string with all the low strings removed.

So the notation is a convenience thing like "this is where your fingers go on a 6-string guitar" but some of the actual notes are an octave higher which means Eric's ears were correct also.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

EricTheGray wrote:
Carbon wrote:
I get this in place of the opening riff:

What browser/OS are you using. These videos are HTML 5 only, but I can try to expand if it's not IE.

-Eric

I'm on Firefox.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Carbon wrote:
I'm on Firefox.

Firefox has such an odd policy on video these days I'm not sure I can support it with these videos. I'll see what I can do. In the name of open source they actually require Flash. I won't ever bother with Flash. Since my videos also work on Chrome I don't really want to have to generate different copies of the videos in various formats. It takes too much time and would discourage me from doing this. If you could use Chrome for these it would help.

Thanks,

-Eric

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
I know I mentioned this in another thread but it bears repeating here.

Both Eric and Luc are correct. In other words, the transcription is correct. But Pat notated it as if it were being played on a 6-string standard tuned guitar. He then plays it on a Nashville tuned guitar where strings 1 and 2 are the same as standard but then strings 3-6 are an octave higher. Think of it like a 12-string with all the low strings removed.

So the notation is a convenience thing like "this is where your fingers go on a 6-string guitar" but some of the actual notes are an octave higher which means Eric's ears were correct also.

Thanks for the explanation, Glenn. I never used the Nashville tuning when I played guitar.

-Eric

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery