It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Bass strings on the bottom/ melody strings on top 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Bass strings on the bottom/ melody strings on top
I read a post about someone who was selling their stick and they had it set up with the bass strings on bottom and the melody strings on top. Are there any other stick players out there that have the same setup?? I come from a bass/ keyboard background and it just seems easier for me visually with that setup. Like piano notation, bass on the bottom and treble on top. What are the pros and cons of this setup with regards to a 10 string stick??? Thanks.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bass strings on the bottom/ melody strings on top
Great question. It is also a VERY TOUCHY SUBJECT. This is mostlty due to the fact that the main proponent of this setup has been very negative and less than honest toward the "free hands method".

But with all that aside I will attempt to answer your question from my point of view.

1. Bass on the bottom can mean tuned in 4ths or 5ths. The 4ths tuning will give a more familiar landscape for most string players. however the range is greatly reduced. With 5ths tuning you have a different template for each hand but are able to play deeper bass and higher ringing chords. I prefer the 5ths tuning, if I were reading more I would probably use 4ths.

2. 4ths can have the lowest strung on the inside of the string set or the outside. The inside (with the fattest string still in the middle but tuned out in 4ths) setup is ergonomicallyt MUCH MUCH better for digging in basslines check out Rob Martino's work. I live on the bass side I would never want my lowest string all the way across such a wide fingerboard. So i think a mirrored tuning is best.

On a 10 string your range in 4ths would be really limited I would consider getting an 8 string ns stick . Why? because you can play it more like a traditional bass and in fourths you really never get out of an extended bass range.

When I first started playing I thought the same thing. Why not play all in 4ths? why not set up like a 10 string bass/guitar. I saw the genius in Emmett's method when i explored the stick and learned that tapping technique is significantly different( from plucking )so there is a need to think outside the box.

I hope this helps, and be aware that you will hear many different opinions on this.

Brett

Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett, Thanks for such a detailed explanation. I've got plenty of time to decide on the setup that I want,too much time. I wont mind thinking outside the box,it serves the brain well. A change of approach means new discoveries so I'm looking forward to the many challenges that the stick will present. Thanks again and happy tapping to you all!!!

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:36 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

New discoveries indeed! I've changed my tuning three times on my Rosewood Grand. Each new move creates new music - and as you mentioned - great exercise for the brain.
Sean Rhys Stirling

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery