It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:01 am

Physicality of the Stick 

Post Re: Physicality of the Stick
I don't really know about the whole foot tapping thing, if I'm trying to get a new rhythm to feel natural to me, like an odd time signature, or a grouping of notes that stretches across more than one beat, I try and engrain as deeply as possible by being able to tap it out accurately keeping beat with either foot and tapping either hand. Consequently my feet are pretty much equal time keepers.

But I can certainly appreciate the left handed piano arguement!

Also do you reckon, when I order one it could have a strap button on both sides of the head, purely so it could be played right handed if I were to sell it on in the future?

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thor wrote:
I don't really know about the whole foot tapping thing, if I'm trying to get a new rhythm to feel natural to me, like an odd time signature, or a grouping of notes that stretches across more than one beat, I try and engrain as deeply as possible by being able to tap it out accurately keeping beat with either foot and tapping either hand. Consequently my feet are pretty much equal time keepers.

But I can certainly appreciate the left handed piano arguement!

Also do you reckon, when I order one it could have a strap button on both sides of the head, purely so it could be played right handed if I were to sell it on in the future?

Hi Thor,

The strap button's a really easy thing to do. I think you might not like the look of the extra strap button just hanging out there, so I'd just hold off and drill new screw holes for it when the time comes.

There are some other changes you'd have to make to convert a left-handed instrument:

1. adjust the pickup heights and all the setup elements like intonation and bridge and nut screw heights.

2. If you have a Stickup, you will have to flip it so that the lone low melody string pole piece is back in the right position.

3. Also, you'll need to change the belthook pedestal, which would be angled the opposite way.

Apart from these things, it should be no problem.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Cheers Greg, thats good to know. Although I'd have that work done for me by SE, its good to save the information for the future. I would certainly be getting the stickup, partly because I do enjoy the acoustic-esque, plucky sound that it gives as discussed by Sominus on http://www.stickist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29, also its the cheapest, and I'm certainly on a budget :D

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:22 am

Wanted to write back after a few weeks of trying some of the suggestions on this thread

I made a few adjustments in my playing that had totally fantastic results.

First thing, is I realized my stick was about 2" too high...that was enough to screw up my rotator cuff...within days of lowering it, all the went way.

One suggestion that made all the difference regarding how things feel....don't stay in the same position while you practice. Change-up your hand positions from time to time, play around with your elbow position dance a bit, sway from side to side, do anything that feels comfortable and gives a good tone.

I took the advice of several members to practice with eye's closed for several days. You feel and play like crap for the first few days (and my wife probably thought I was playing on drugs or had gone tone deaf)....but eventually sure enough you do find the frets and like Greg says, you start getting better at visualizing the finger positions and everything feels looser and there's no strain on your neck.

Thank you EVERYONE for your thoughts on this thread, it's made a big difference in enjoyment of the Stick!

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:13 am