It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:00 am

Where to try a stick 

Post Where to try a stick
I have been lurking for quite some time on chapman stick sites. I am 49 and have played keyboards since I was 5. I have dipped into playing guitar a bit but am totally intrigued with the stick and would like to get one. However; I would like to try one first. Is there a place or person that I could just try one? I just want to try it to see if it is what I'm really wanting before I dive in.

I live in SoCal (Inland Empire).

Thanks.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Where to try a stick
Hi...I'm in San Diego if that's close. We could set up a time for you to check it out if you like. I have two twelve string Sticks and would be pleased to let you play one or the other. Let me know. I know there are some players in Los Angeles too.
Perry

(Don't tell the others but) I also play a twelve string Warr you could try as a comparison. Quite a different animal. But I definitely do not have a megatar.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

blackstripe05 wrote:
I have been lurking for quite some time on chapman stick sites. I am 49 and have played keyboards since I was 5. I have dipped into playing guitar a bit but am totally intrigued with the stick and would like to get one. However; I would like to try one first. Is there a place or person that I could just try one? I just want to try it to see if it is what I'm really wanting before I dive in.

Thanks.

The Stick is a keyboardist's dream come true. Counterpoint and expression all at once.

I wish I could remember all of the quote that I had on the mid 1990s Stick brochure, but it went something like this.

The Stick liberates the keyboardist. It responds to the infinite variability of your touch. You can play a note and keep playing the note, making it sing. It is worn and held. It becomes part of your music-making body. You are no longer at your instrument you are with it.

Worth a drive to Woodland Hills, I think...

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

blackstripe05 wrote:

Thanks.

I just looked and you are only about 3-5 hours away from Stick Enterprises! Man, if I was that close I would go there, well, too often. There would be no better way to try one out than at Emmett's shop.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

*bump*

Hi stickologists. I 've been lurking too and thought I'd bump this thread. I'm an intermediate cellist and a natural lefty but learned it right handed... Being a fan of all things prog and weird I'm very interested in the stick as my next instrument but know absolutely nothing about electronic instruments(amps, pickups, etc...) so really need to get a feel for it and generally discuss it with someone who knows what they're doing. Anyone in the carolinas, or even georgia, tennessee up for meeting with a newb please PM me!

Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:29 am