It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:27 am

Phantom Powering My Railboard 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Phantom Powering My Railboard
txtouchguitarist wrote:
Thanks again for your response, there was some logic behind my question tho:

1) if i'm putting 48V on two XLR pins of both XLR connectors at the mixer and end up with 48V on two TRS "pins", T & R both referenced to S, at my Stick, do I really need to Phantom Power both channels ? Does the Stick require 48V on both T & R or does it "pick one" to switch the R-Block into the active mode ? Also, it's indeed possible i'm misunderstanding this interface, i've not yet received any info on its workings.

Well, the mixer I use only has phantom power On/off for the whole unit. I plug the splitter into each of the two channels and the railboard works as is. When I get home tonight I can try it with just one cable, or have both channels go into one without the splitter and see what happens.

txtouchguitarist wrote:
2) This one's a killer, one of the reviewers of the Behringer Xenyx 802 stated that the Mixer will not provide Phantom Power to both Mic inputs simultaneously and provided no further explanation, both "factoids" make me both wonder and annoy me. Review is on MusiciansFriend website.

Thanks for everybodies patience in listening to my dribble, but i'd really like to know :?

Glenn

Once again I'll take a stab at this and see what happens.

For me using it for the stick, though, I've had no issues whatsoever. I actually at one point was using it to get the active mode boost, and sending the output to my two amps at the time, a Mesa Studio 22 guitar combo and a TC RH450 Bass head w/2x12 stack, and it worked great in that regard.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:20 am
Thanks for all of the responses. The way i'd do this test is as follows, and i'm not asking or recommending that anyone try this:

1) on a mixer where you can individually turn on/off Phantom Power to each of the two channels turn it off on channel 1 and on for channel 2.

2) reverse channels 1 and 2 per step 1, on 1, off 2.

Does the Railboard switch into active mode for each scenario ?

thanks,

Glenn

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:23 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Neither one of my mixers will allow me to try this for ya, the phantom power is either on or off for the entire mix. Still sounds great though 8-)

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 pm
flynlion wrote:
Neither one of my mixers will allow me to try this for ya, the phantom power is either on or off for the entire mix. Still sounds great though 8-)

Thanks again !! I guess just plugging one of the two splitter channels into a Phantom Powered mixer channel would accomplish what i'm asking, and then doing the same with the other splitter channel, not entirely sure i'd try this so please don't, i believe there's a simple answer here, i'm just waiting for it to pop up :) . There's no practical application for what i'm asking, it's just an "FMI", and I cannot even find a mixer with independent Phantom Power control per channel.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here's what I've discovered:

-Using the stick XLR cable WITHOUT the splitter allows you to just plug in to one XLR Channel and get both sides. Active mode lights up completely and works as expected in this mode

-If you plug in the splitter and simply plug only one channel in, it gets sufficient channel power to light up and work as expected.

-You can apparently get phantom power with either side of the cable

-The active mode light is brighter when both lines are plugged in, leading me to believe it's getting power from both channels. This doesn't SEEM to affect tone, but its still noticeable

I can keep messing around with it if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:51 pm
"I can keep messing around with it if there's anything else you'd like to know."

Thanks, that'll do it for now. I'll have a splitter cable and mixer next week and'll carry on :)

Glenn

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 am
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everybody, i'm new ,i'm not english-languaged(italian) and so
i can't speak english!.I have a 10 string rosewood from 10 years
and i ordered a bronze railboard.
So this XLR-speaking list,areare very interesting information!
Now i'm waiting for the railboard and i don't know what may be the
playing difference betwen it and the wooden stick!
If anyone would to reply,i'll be very happy!(i can't know how to say it).
thank you to all.bye

the GRID(MIDI) #4959# 10 deep bass/baritone- ROSEWOOD
the RAILBOARD #no serial#10 re-worked(to re-work) -gunmetal

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:04 am

metalken wrote:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Here's what I've discovered:

-Using the stick XLR cable WITHOUT the splitter allows you to just plug in to one XLR Channel and get both sides. Active mode lights up completely and works as expected in this mode

-If you plug in the splitter and simply plug only one channel in, it gets sufficient channel power to light up and work as expected.

-You can apparently get phantom power with either side of the cable

-The active mode light is brighter when both lines are plugged in, leading me to believe it's getting power from both channels. This doesn't SEEM to affect tone, but its still noticeable

I can keep messing around with it if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I was about to post a similar question... I'm considering the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB as an option for the Railboard, and I was wondering if this is the one you guys reviewed (I know there is a version with no USB output). Any thoughts a year later? Any problems with phantom power?

Black Railboard #6760, black and gold tuners, aqua inlays

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:35 pm