It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am

Guitar to Stick 

Post Guitar to Stick
I've been a guitar player since around 1980. I received my Stick last week. After playing it for less than a week I don't even want to play my guitar anymore. I actually had one in the early 90's but sold it because I was doing the rock thing and had know idea what to do with it. I'm still playing in a rock band now and it's fun (have a great bunch of guys in the band) but after playing the stick the sound is just so amazing (and I suck at it yet but getting better) What I've found so far is that I thought the left hand would be easier than the right being a guitar player. But I was wrong! This going to be a adventure but it will be well worth it! I think I'm doing pretty good so far. I can't believe right after I got it there's a seminar in Pittsburgh! I've met David Brosky who was kind enough to let me borrow a stick from him. Really great guy! I can't wait to meet Greg Howard and David Tipton. This is the best instrument I have ever purchased! I'm going to take a lesson from Greg before the seminar so I don't look like a complete idiot when I get there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Guitar to Stick
Good for you! I stopped playing the bass after 40+ years…. The Stick is one of the most fulfilling instruments you will ever play…. Greg is one of the leading voices and educators on the Stick… He has thoroughly digested every aspect of the instrument from theory and playing, to the nuts and bolts of set up, equipment and sound… Rubbing shoulders with him is good anytime you can! ENJOY :ugeek:

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

And NO ONE looks like an idiot next to a Stick. You will look MAHvelous. I've been playing now for three months and the noise I'm emitting is suspiciously close to music! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM
♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:20 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

This hook is really deep in your throat...lol...good for you. So nice instrument this Stick.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grbguitarplayer wrote:
I've been a guitar player since around 1980. I received my Stick last week. After playing it for less than a week I don't even want to play my guitar anymore. I actually had one in the early 90's but sold it because I was doing the rock thing and had know idea what to do with it. I'm still playing in a rock band now and it's fun (have a great bunch of guys in the band) but after playing the stick the sound is just so amazing (and I suck at it yet but getting better) What I've found so far is that I thought the left hand would be easier than the right being a guitar player. But I was wrong!

Hi Jeff,

What you are experiencing is fairly common among guitarists and bassists who come to The Stick. The right hand is already used to the role of rhythmic phrasing, but the left hand has been in a less rhythmic "support" role, and it's not really used to operating on its own at all.

My advice is don't stretch the left hand out, but keep it relaxed and move it around. This feels odd at first to guitarists who are used to thinking about putting the hand in a position and relationship of the fingers to the frets wherever the hand happens to be. Try to think more about the patterns of intervals, and moving the hand to the places where the notes are, using any finger you want to play the notes. Try not to "assign" fingers to notes.

The extra fret distance form the long scale and the 5ths tuning both make movement essential. We'll be digging into this in Pittsburgh. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

h3dg3h0g wrote:
...and the noise I'm emitting is suspiciously close to music!...

.... :lol: ....

...what a sentence... :lol: ...

...big, big and great cinema, indeed... :lol: ...

...thank you, h3dg3h0g... :D ...

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

That is just so great to read. Fantastic!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Greg, thanks for all the great information and can't wait to do the Skype lesson with tonight!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Came from the guitar myself.

Agree with Greg about the left hand.

What is really strange, is when playing the guitar again, my left hand is not content to just provide notes for the right hand to play, and it'll start doing its own thing, tapping and giving its own rhythm! can't really stop it.

Its a great instrument.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:28 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Right on! When I started with the Stick I had more than three decades of intensive guitar playing... heck, my fingers on the left hand are literally long than on the right hand and I can lift a plate right up with my left hand finger grip but not with the right hand. Nevertheless it took only one week before my right hand was better on the STick than my left hand. That was a surprise! I wonder what physical changes the Stick will imply in my body during the decades to come. All my guitars are now in a corner, only picked up when a guitar track has to be recorded - the Stick rules. Eh... or rather the Stick Guitar in my case.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery